What's new

VSL Synchron Strings I Announced (Nov. Release)

I’ve used plenty of VSL before Synchron and in my opinion they should definitely try and go the wet route because it’s different, and because it works if done well.

Silent stage means a bit more flexible, a bit less organic. I totally want to hear their take on more organic. They got it wrong with SS1 but the rest is stunning.

As to where their priorities lie regarding the Synchron endeavour, VSL set out to reconcile the recording of soundtracks and libraries from the get go. When working on the latter most of the time is spent editing/scripting, which is obviously done elsewhere by a different team. Recording the samples is a matter of days, if not hours.

When working on the latter most of the time is spent editing/scripting, which is obviously done elsewhere by a different team. Recording the samples is a matter of days, if not hours.

it is done in that same building where is Synchron stage. They have various edit/programming rooms. Everything is connected via Dante, so for example if editor in room 1 wants to record something he just calls someone in main room and setup recordings literary in minutes. This is huge!

be aware that synchron stage was not build for creating samples, it is high tech facility mainly fore recording soundtracks, they working 24/7 on this. Less time is for sampling.

Surely, but when you own a stage you don't want to hire another to record your samples...

Paul/VSL posted on their forums, that we can expect some new features to be added to the Synchron Player, and the release of the Synchron Percussion Player during Sept.

So far, there is no mention of any specific plans to improve Synchron Strings I.

I also wonder what their next Synchron library release will be.

Meh. The Synchron range is dead to me if the strings aren't right. With it being a wet library with all the room ambience it would have been optimal to have all sections as a complete and coherent orchestra.

if the strings are broken then what is the point?

I agree. I have already black-listed the entire VSL Synchron Library line, unless they fix their Strings. but that doesn't look like it is going to happen. I'm just curious where VSL is heading next with Synchron Libraries. I also find it odd that they still don't have the Synchron Perc. Player.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting the score!

Here is an example with Synchron Strings.

Rise Of The Guardians Soundtrack Prelude - Syncron Strings.mp3

The original sounds different because it is probably played with sordinos. And it's bit hard to do the polyphonic stuff without legatos in 2nd violins and violas so I replaced the moving parts of them with copies of violin 1. Same for the divisi parts. The VI Pro player has polyphonic legato but for voice separation it's better to have individual CC curves.
Sorry for bumping this old post (and thread). I revisited this with the latest Synchron cantabile patches. Would be unfair of me IMO not to update this since VSL did try their best with their update. So here's my 2019 version, which IMO compares favourably I think to the CSS version and the original I posted here. Too bad there's no portamento though in Synchron.

Attachments

• SYNCHRON GUARDIANS TEST 2019.mp3
    1.1 MB · Views: 159
@Sovereign

Actaully I'm rather glad you did. I recently bought the VSL Synchronised Special Editions Bundle 1-4 and then added SE5. It was my first VSL library, and I'm really liking it. So I sprang for the upgrade to the synchronised woodwinds and find I'm liking it even more.

Anyway, I read all about the initial reception Synchron strings received at launch, but also that it has been updated and improved. Now I know you were one of those who had some very harsh words for VSL about this library - but this new post seems to imply that you have changed your mind somewhat about this library.

The point is that I can pick up Synchron Strings for £ 300 before the end of the month, and as I'm rather liking my other Synchron libraries I'm wondering what your thoughts are on it as it stands now.

Appreciate any advice...

Michael

They have re-edited all the legato patches with the last update. So now, the legato is comparable to the one from Dimension Strings. So if you like it in SY-zed SE Vol 5, you'll probably like Synchron Strings I. And if you don't, you can request a refund within 30 days.

Sorry for bumping this old post (and thread). I revisited this with the latest Synchron cantabile patches. Would be unfair of me IMO not to update this since VSL did try their best with their update. So here's my 2019 version, which IMO compares favourably I think to the CSS version and the original I posted here. Too bad there's no portamento though in Synchron.

Nice cue @Sovereign...making me think twice about the product....

@Sovereign
Anyway, I read all about the initial reception Synchron strings received at launch, but also that it has been updated and improved. Now I know you were one of those who had some very harsh words for VSL about this library - but this new post seems to imply that you have changed your mind somewhat about this library.
I have changed my mind a bit, yes. I had it shelved for quite a while, disappointed as I was. Previously I would not have recommended it, but with the changes they made that's not something I would say anymore. If you like the other Synchron(ized) products I think you will like this one also.

I wouldn’t buy Synchron Strings I just now. The cantabile update is a welcomed one but this library is still not where it should be in my opinion. I’d wait for these updates:

Proper sforzato
Proper portamento
Proper crescendo/diminuendo
Agile “cantabile” legato
Loose pizzicato, staccato, spiccato (I’m not holding my breath)

In short, new recordings that bring Synchron Strings I closer to the organic tone and feel of their Synchron FX Strings counterparts, which really sound lovely.

I wouldn’t buy Synchron Strings I just now. The cantabile update is a welcomed one but this library is still not where it should be in my opinion. I’d wait for these updates:

Proper sforzato
Proper portamento
Proper crescendo/diminuendo
Agile “cantabile” legato
Loose pizzicato, staccato, spiccato (I’m not holding my breath)

In short, new recordings that bring Synchron Strings I closer to the organic tone and feel of their Synchron FX Strings counterparts, which really sound lovely.
I'm just not sure that update is ever coming? Saved for Synchron Strings volume 2? I wish there were more new recordings, just like you.

I'm just not sure that update is ever coming? Saved for Synchron Strings volume 2? I wish there were more new recordings, just like you.

The cantabiles update proves VSL is listening and willing to improve this library where it falls short, don’t you think?

I’m hoping they will continue, because SS could really be an amazing product. The quality of the recordings is in its own league...

Top Bottom