What's new

VSL Synchron Strings I Announced (Nov. Release)

Sorry for bumping this old post (and thread). I revisited this with the latest Synchron cantabile patches. Would be unfair of me IMO not to update this since VSL did try their best with their update. So here's my 2019 version, which IMO compares favourably I think to the CSS version and the original I posted here. Too bad there's no portamento though in Synchron.
Sovereign,
Your Cantabile Synchron strings example sounds beautiful. I mix the Orchestral legato/portamento (VI version) with the Synchron player. However, my Mac Pro CPU starts popping and crackling (no matter what settings I use) when a full template is loaded with Synchron and VI Pro through VEP (this does not happen when loading over 100 tracks using VI series) . Thus I use the Cantabile strings sparingly. Do you find this an issue?

Sovereign,
Your Cantabile Synchron strings example sounds beautiful. I mix the Orchestral legato/portamento (VI version) with the Synchron player. However, my Mac Pro CPU starts popping and crackling (no matter what settings I use) when a full template is loaded with Synchron and VI Pro through VEP (this does not happen when loading over 100 tracks using VI series) . Thus I use the Cantabile strings sparingly. Do you find this an issue?
No, I have no real performance issues. The problem could be due to a number of things, without knowing how many voices are playing and what your computer specs are it's difficult to say. VSL support would be best equipped to help you here I suppose.

The cantabiles update

While this is a good addition to the Synchron Strings, what is confusing is why VSL did not bring the update to the VI version

Firstly Synchron Strings was developed in the VI and was based upon the VI engine and code and for quite a while the VI was being used as the primary player for Synchron Strings, surely VSL could not have been thinking every one would just give up and dump such a great and advanced, and stable player and suddenly take the new player in its place and for such a nice library as Synchron Strings.

I noticed the new Dimention Strings addition was developed for the new player and the VI player, so I think it's only reasonable for VSL to bring every update and additional content for Synchron Strings for both the the new player and the more advanced VI player.

As from where I am standing it's not making a lot of sense especially for users who would like to remain using the VI player for all the VSL library's.

I get the impression that Synchron player is now the future for them, and to an extent see the old VI Player the past. I'm sure they will continue to support it - but I think the development on players will now be focussed on the Synchron player.

Or at least that's how I see it.

It's funny that the three biggest developers, VSL, OT & Spitfire are all in the throes of player engine development all at the same time....

I'm really tempted to pick up Synchron Strings FX..... and I've just been listening to it....

Last edited:
The only orchestral libraries I have been investing money in lately are the Synchron ones. The quality of the recordings and the software development are the best I have seen.

Hopefully VSL will fix Synchron Strings I soon, I sincerely think not doing so jeopardises this beautiful project.

get the impression that Synchron player is now the future for them, and to see extent the old VI Player the past.

Yes and this is a fair comment there is nothing wrong with that but its also clear IMO that the new player needs more work to catch up with the VI, plus there is a very realistic view that the older library's are just as good if not better than the Synchron version and will remain there, I do understand yes we all need to move on but what about preference of tone and sound for the older or none Synchron library's that sound very warm when played up against the new player,

VSL can't force everyone into Synchron avenue when the offering is not good as the existing library's

New users yes a new generation yes that's OK and reasonable and also makes sense but for users who know and understand the deep quality of none Synchron development I think there will be a lot of conflict especially when the new offering is not knocking the old offering off the shelf anytime soon.

So at least until that time comes VSL should give us the option of choice and not force us into one choice.

In the end I decide to buy it. I watched the demos multiple times, and listened to everything I could, and I decide to go fore both the Synchron Strings I Standard, but also the FX Standard as well.

I do hope haven't made a mistake, but I don't think I have. I do like the sound and the player engine. The FX library sounds stunning, and I'm very much looking forward to have a good run through the library over the weekend. (I hope Best Service manage to get the order put through and the codes before the end of the day.)

I was looking through the classifieds, and there are a few second hand copies there, but with the sale and the fact i'm VAT registered, buying new is less expensive than the asking prices there, and I wouldn't to upset anyone with what they might see as a lowball offer.

In the end I decide to buy it. I watched the demos multiple times, and listened to everything I could, and I decide to go fore both the Synchron Strings I Standard, but also the FX Standard as well.

I do hope haven't made a mistake, but I don't think I have. I do like the sound and the player engine. The FX library sounds stunning, and I'm very much looking forward to have a good run through the library over the weekend. (I hope Best Service manage to get the order put through and the codes before the end of the day.)

I was looking through the classifieds, and there are a few second hand copies there, but with the sale and the fact i'm VAT registered, buying new is less expensive than the asking prices there, and I wouldn't to upset anyone with what they might see as a lowball offer.
Hello @Michael Antrum,
After a few months and a few Synchron Player (and library?) updates, would you mind share with us your thoughts about Synchron Strings I please? :)
Thanks!

Well, the Synchron Strings had a difficult birth, and there was a lot of ill will around at the time, so there is a lot of historical negativity around this thread - but I think a fair bit of that is now out of date.

I am actually loath to recommend to buy or not buy any library, as, particularly with string libraries, they are so personal. It's like picking a new shirt out for someone. So with that Caveat Emptor in mind....

For me, with Synchron Strings, here's my thoughts - The shorts are particularly good - I like them very much and feel they are the strong point of the library. The longs are fine, without setting the world on fire, and the Cantabile is very nice indeed, but not so much for faster tempo lines. The mic positions (I have standard) are good enough for what I need, I don't really feel the need for the extra mics in the full library. I have managed to use the mics to get anything I've really wanted out of them, but then, I'm normally fitting them in with other Synchron libraries. If I didn't have it, I would buy it again, but would be happy to wait for it to be on sale or such like.

Which brings me onto other things - since buying Synchron Strings I, I have also picked up during various special offers and 4 for 3 vouchers, Chamber, Dimension and this month I finally bought Appassionata Strings.

I am loving Appassionata strings - it's perfect for that lush John Barry sound (Out of Africa, Born Free, Dances with Wolves and Bond). But if you don't want that sound, well, it's a bit big.

Dimension is more about the writing to me. As I am learning more and more about orchestration, Dimension Strings enables me to write for standard sections, divisi, desks and individual players. It's a bit wow working like that - but I don't normally need to write that level of control. But it does sound great to me too.

The thing is this, with VSL's return policy, you don't have to trust anyone else's judgement but your own. I've had very little contact with the people at VSL, but when I have, they've been great. So if you buy from VSL directly, you will have the certainty that if you don't like it, VSL will either refund you, or swap the library out for one you do like. I don't think you can go too far wrong with that.

So go with your gut on this, in the knowledge that if you make a faux pas, unlike many other vendors, you won't get lumbered if you make an error in your selection.

Last edited:
Top Bottom