What's new

VSL Synchron Brass and mutes

Symphonichrome

I am finally over all of my struggles with learning the VSL Synchron library and microphone (full version) structure and how to use them

However, one sound that is missing from Synchron Brass is the muted versions of the brass instruments

Is there anyone who knows if VSL is going to release a mutes add-on for VSL Synchron Brass?

Surely VSL has the capability to make such a library and those who enjoy the sound of the Synchron Brass would almost certainly purchase such an add-on

For those who work using Synchron Brass, what are you doing to supplement the lack of mutes? Also, if you have the full version and route for all the additional microphones, how do you supplement?

I am keeping my fingers crossed that VSL is working on releasing a mutes add-on for Synchron Brass (like they did for Duality Strings)

Maybe @Ben can chime in as well

Thank you

Last edited:
They haven't announced any muted brass plans yet, and they did announce a lot of their roadmap this year.

But I think it's obvious that they will do some muted brass for Synchron eventually.
Fingers crossed

I am also hoping for muted brass for Synchron. For now I am using the Sordina v2 mute emulator to create virtual mutes with Synchron Brass.
I will have to Google Sordina

+1 for Sordina 2 with VSL Brass. Really solid combination and the developer is active here and very responsive to the community. I enjoy the fact that I can use different brands and variants of each type of mute (Harmon Stems in and out for example), so it’s more flexible than a traditional muted brass library.

Sordina looks interesting, but I think to is not that great for ambient recordings. In the videos you clearly hear how the release/reverb on those samples sounds funny with the plugin activated. But I think it works pretty good for dry recordings like Vienna Instruments, Sample Modeling, Audio Modeling, although the latter ones already got pretty decent mute imitations on board.

I think for a roomy sounding library there is nothing as good as a real recorded library with mutes. Orchestral Tools Muted Brass is pretty comprehensive, in case you don't want to wait for VSL to release anything. And Teldex and Synchron are close enough. You won't have to do much to make those fit into the same template.

Sordina looks interesting, but I think to is not that great for ambient recordings. In the videos you clearly hear how the release/reverb on those samples sounds funny with the plugin activated. But I think it works pretty good for dry recordings like Vienna Instruments, Sample Modeling, Audio Modeling, although the latter ones already got pretty decent mute imitations on board.

I think for a roomy sounding library there is nothing as good as a real recorded library with mutes. Orchestral Tools Muted Brass is pretty comprehensive, in case you don't want to wait for VSL to release anything. And Teldex and Synchron are close enough. You won't have to do much to make those fit into the same template.

Ohhhhh ok that is an alternative

I will try Sordina first for $99 first

Also, wondering if Sordina can "replace" my having to purchase VSL Synchrony Strings Con Sordino...?

Also check out the SYNCHRON-ized Dimension Brass II (mutes).
Dimension Brass II has a few weird omissions, such as stopped horns. So many brass libraries (including Orchestral Tools) make the mistake of offering stopped or straight mute Horns, but not both, and both are commonly used. They have a very different sound, and so they are far from interchangeable. There is also a "stop mute" that simulates the hand-stopped sound.

I am hoping that if/when we do eventually get muted Synchron Brass that this will be addressed and we would get both a straight mute and stop mute (or hand stopped) for the horns.

I believe there are both stopped and straight horn mutes in the original VI Series brass. Hopefully, VSL will eventually synchronize these and hopefully they will also they will also record lots of muted brass in the Synchron Stage. But there are so many different types of brass mutes that it is a daunting task.

But there are so many different types of brass mutes that it is a daunting task.
Infinite Brass has, I think, EQ simulated mutes of all these types and they sound really good.

Maybe because the source was recorded dry so the EQ profile sounds natural, but maybe it could work on Synchron Brass as well. You could have like 6 different mutes with one sample set.

I like some of the original VSL libraries. But, honestly, muted brass is one of the worst examples when trying to make it sound like in a big recording studio or concert hall. It is one of those things that I have yet to hear an example of that does not sound totally artificial. It works better with the woodwinds, solo brass (especially quiet playing) and strings (especially when layered with ambient libraries). Muted brass is VSLs worst offender.

Last edited:
Top Bottom