What's new

(VSL) Slow/fast legato and staccato: always automatic?

ptram

Hi,

Most VSL libraries have slow and fast (or bold and agile) patches for legato, staccato and détaché.

Sometimes they give an Auto-Speed patch, sometimes they leave you free (or forced) to select them via keyswitch.

Since Dorico allows choosing a patch depending on the note length, I initially decided to send a keyswitch depending on the written notes, and directly select the slow or fast articulation.

But this is not absolute speed, but it depends on the metronome. So, I was starting to move everything to the Auto-Speed patches of the libraries.

Is there any advantage on managing the slow and fast patches separately, or in any case they have to be used for the music speed – fast for fast passages, slow for slower ones?

Paolo

Hi,

Most VSL libraries have slow and fast (or bold and agile) patches for legato, staccato and détaché.

Sometimes they give an Auto-Speed patch, sometimes they leave you free (or forced) to select them via keyswitch.

Since Dorico allows choosing a patch depending on the note length, I initially decided to send a keyswitch depending on the written notes, and directly select the slow or fast articulation.

But this is not absolute speed, but it depends on the metronome. So, I was starting to move everything to the Auto-Speed patches of the libraries.

Is there any advantage on managing the slow and fast patches separately, or in any case they have to be used for the music speed – fast for fast passages, slow for slower ones?

Paolo
I've found that agile ones are good for faster passages where they sound cleaner than bold ones, however sometimes bold ones can be used for medium tempos too..! Just listen to what you like best)

Just listen to what you like best
I get it as if you would prefer letting them separate, to control them separately. And maybe adjust the expression map in Dorico depending on the piece/movement.

Obviously, having them always joined would be much easier, but I have still to be totally convinced.

Paolo

I don't use the 'Auto' patch approach. I find that in some cases the e.g. Bold staccatos may sound better than the Agile, even with faster passages/tempos. I see the 'Auto' patches as more of a convenience or time saving feature. Some folks are using the 'Auto' attack variant with velocity. Again, sometimes I want a loud note without the fast attack.

The only theoretical drawback of the auto mode is: it takes at least two notes to recognize a new speed. But in real world examples I don't hear a difference.

Now, I tried to consider both situations, and started creating branches with the separate options, and then an auto-speed patch.

With Duality Strings this means that I will never come out alive from the task.

So, back to the idea of using Speed as the selector, and use the Custom group when a separate patch is needed.

Paolo

Bold / Agile are not the same as slow / fast.

With bold you will get the first note sample after each pitch change, while with agile it will play the repetition samples even after pitch change.

With bold you will get the first note sample after each pitch change, while with agile it will play the repetition samples even after pitch change.
Thank you Ben. I get it, that the second note is not "faster" (like it can be with legato), but am I wrong in believing that Speed control makes sense in both cases?

That is, with a slow sequence I'm likely to get a second note with a clearer, 'bolder' attack, while with faster sequencer the second note will tend to be be less clear, more blended with the previous one.

Or, would it be better to use the Bold articulation, in some cases, even with faster passages?

Paolo

I would use agile for everything medium to fast, but if you write chords you might want to use Bold as well - in this case trust your ears.

I would use agile for everything medium to fast, but if you write chords you might want to use Bold as well
This seems to plead for using the auto-speed feature. I'll see how it works. Up to now, I’ve been happy of how Dorico auto-selected these articulations based on note length.

Paolo

Top Bottom