What's new

Two Mock-Ups - Yuki Kajiura, Fate/Zero

Pier-V

Is doing a barrel roll (actually an aileron roll)
I've always preferred original compositions over imitation works, but I also ABSOLUTELY LOVE to hear what others do with music and lately I've started to realize that somethimes just listening isn't enough. So I decided to step temporarily aside and do some transcriptions and mock-ups, using only my ears and with no external help (also no keyboard, just a mouse and lots of editing). I am proud that I managed to complete both transcription from start to finish but at the same time I think ther's still A LOT of room for improvement. Now, I know far too well how bad I am at mixing so right now the main focus is on midi editing, especially expression and tempo automation. Any suggestions? Thanks for listening!

Attachments

• CSS Mock-Up - Fate Series OST - If You Leave - MIDI.mid
    39.5 KB · Views: 12
  • Fate Zero - Grief - Transcription - MIDI.mid
    9.2 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Beautiful work! I love Yuki Kajiura's music, and you've captured it well.

Minor critique, some of the phrasing around the midpoint of the If You Leave mockup sounds a bit rough to me, but I'm not sure if that's something solvable or if it's just CSS being inarticulate. It could possibly help to use the faster legato speeds for the more intricate parts, at least assuming you aren't already.

I understand what you are saying, the critique is perfecly legitimate. I'm not 100% sure, but I think CSS was recorded with only one kind of non-portamento legato (some sort of slurred/bow change hybrid) and one kind of (slurred, AKA bad) portamento legato. Velocity basically adjusts the legato envelope and maybe there's some kind of time stretching. I have already tried using all the possible velocities, and while slow and medium seem to work, I don't really like the highest ones - there's just too much sample manipulation.
I admit that editing the central section was the toughest part. Maybe I shouldn't morph beetwen dynamic layers while I'm changing note or maybe I'm just missing something completely different...
Thanks for the feedback!!

Also, if you or anyone else is interested, I will gladly share the midi of the transcriptions for score study, after all theese are not my compositions. Just let me know.

I think that is the case with CSS’s legato, yes. You’ve probably done about the best that can be done without using a different library entirely, one with more types of legato recorded. I suspect it’s just a part that CSS can’t handle very well.

I’d be interested in seeing the midi!

Needless to say, I'm eagerly awaiting to see what Tokyo Scoring Strings will be capable of! :)
These is the midi for If you leave, Grief is baking right now...

[Edit: Attached file was moved to the opening post]

Last edited:
There we go! (note: CFX is capable of half-pedaling, so of course that was taken in consideration)

[Edit: Attached file was moved to the opening post]

Last edited:
Ok I can't resist... WARNING: nerdy stuff incoming
Basically both the tracks are in the Eolian mode (modal writing, no leading tones except for a Phrygian cadence at the end etc) but the composer insists so much on deceptive cadences that she ends up creating, from a "strictly vertical" point of view, a nearly Lydian landscape, with proper emphatization through use of Major 7 chords. Also, japanese composers love counterpoint, and that made the transcription particularly enjoyable. Of course, that kind of writing imposes a very boring bassline, but it seems literally unavoidable to get proper cohesiveness... to be honest, I wish Cellos had more freedom while still retaining their bass role, but hey, even Bach wrote a "boring" bassline in his air on g string compared to the other instruments so...
One thing that really surprised me though was the use of modulation: there was none, except for one single chromatic mediant modulation RIGHT. AT. THE. BEST. POSSIBLE. MOMENT. This in particular is something I really struggle with, given how much I like abundance (I mean, who am I kidding you could guess that from my writing style alone lol).

Hope the midi helps, and apologies in case there are mistakes, again this was all done by ear...

Well, to be honest - I don't like the string sounds. I can hear you've already made some midi-CC-dynamics, but it just isn't enough and I think it is the string library you used. The violins sounds too "hard", they need more softness, so to speak, and more vibrato. You also need more reverb overall.

One question: Why all these mockup's of works that others have composed, instead of making your own original compositions (it's not just you, it's something I've noticed generally on VI)?

An idea:

If you compose your own original works, you have a lot more control of your instruments. It allows you to experiment with your string ensembles and other instruments, and hear what works and what doesn't.

Many virtual instruments are unsuitable for a lot of compositional techniques. By composing your own works, you instantly and intuitively know which techniques and compositional themes works with your instruments.

When you're making a mockup from a sheet, you're also automatically locking yourself up into the quantization. Quantized MIDI-mockups always sounds bad. Real musicians need breaks, they need to breathe. You don't get that with quantized MIDI-mockups.

Thanks, I appreciate the honesty.
Theese two are the only mock-ups I have ever made, the rest are all original compositions. Maybe they are not masterpieces, but at least I've tried to be diverse and true to myself. Ironically, I decided to post two mock-ups as "presentation pieces" because I have seen that people on the internet are mainly interested on mock-ups. The reason is simple: a mock-up is also a shield - you expose yourself on the technical side but not on the artistic one, you show what you learned but not what music actually means for you. You know what? This seems exactly the right place to say "screw this, I'll post them anyway, and if something doesn't work I'll restart from scratch". From now on I'll try to be slightly more aggressive.
About MIDI quantization: I never ever quantize anything and I insert notes with my mouse because I know that way there will be some imprecisions, when I write for piano I even decide the order of the imprecisions when playing for example a chord, them I listen to the velocity values of the single notes of a chord until I feel the voicing is right. HOWEVER, you are simply right about not making the lines breathe with pauses. I know how important it is so that was just laziness on my side, I'll keep that in mind for the future.
Vibrato: here I disagree. With CSS I only have access to two vibrato layers (non vibrato, standard vibrato), so the solution would be to LOWER vibrato so that its presence, if used sparingly, becomes an accent. Also, without vibrato chords sound clearer and here there are quite a few seventh chords so it's a very tricky equilibrium. In any case... CSS non vibrato layers don't trigger legato at all. You can't imagine how disappointed I was when I discovered that, especially considering I was coming from Hollywood Strings (which has his own enormous set of problems btw). In the end I decided to completely pass on vibrato due to my inexperience with the library, but may have not been a smart choice after all. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Theese two are the only mock-ups I have ever made, the rest are all original compositions. Maybe they are not masterpieces
Ok, in that case you're actually showing some potential.
As a newbie, music composition and mock-ups are hard, so you actually did it well.

I never learned to read a score or make a mock-up of existing works, so in that aspect you're already ahead of me :)

Last edited:
@mediumaevum Slightly off-topic, but I've added a signature to my profile and a small portion of my compositions to my soundloud page. Let's see if this works!
(By the way, I've listened to some of your youtube tracks and I really like the sober, elegant tone.)

Top Bottom