What's new

Trailer music signals

RonOrchComp

Anyone know:

1) Of any good libraries that have those trailer music signals?

2) Of any way to create my own? I have tried piano, with some decapitator and a good amount of verb, but I am not there. Not sure what a good starting point would be.

Thanks!

Those single high-pitched notes with a lot of reverb, used in trailers. I don't know which trailers off hand, tho...

Yeah these are typically a few simple elements layered together. The classic version is a piano with super long reverb, a sub boom, and a whoosh before the hit... Sine waves and synth plucks also work, as well as sub drops, maybe a layer of noise, etc...

Basically it's a high and low component, and the ping is typically layered with something low and percussive, and often with a whoosh before the actual hit. You want the end result to feel like it's one cohesive solid sample since these typically mark cut points for the editor, which they'll often use multiple times in the same trailer.

Last edited:
I’m not sure if there’s a sound fx library specifically for that but most trailer fx libraries incorporate a bunch of them. Checkout Keepforest libraries, they’re really good.

On the other hand, I’ve sometimes made them myself with a piano sample, playing with a filter to get the sound I want and putting Blackhole reverb on top for a long tail.

I think signals became a category after the piano ping became popular, they serve a similair purpose being a high pitched sound with sharp attack and longish release, usually tonal. I'd think along the lines of the piano pluck, so anything from plucked strings to tuned percussion and then you have all the synth options as well, a lot of synths have a plucked catergory you could start with.

As mentioned above if you're looking for a library option Keepforest usually have a signals category in their sound design releases.

Ok, they are called "pings" - good to know.

I have tried piano, with some decapitator and a good amount of verb, but I am not there.

Maybe you can be more specific about what is in your mind by choosing from the list below

Thanks!

Yes, like the "Agitator Trailer Ping"

Keep Forest has some of those? Any idea which library?

Now that I know what they are called, I can do a preoper search (nothing was coming up with "signals". I came across this:

https://6-newesm.vce.oneclickwebapps.com/product/effective-trailer-pings/
Which I may get for that amount of money. Would still like to know where to start to create my own. Omnisphere, maybe?

Thanks everyone!

If you don't have it already - get the reverb Blackhole by Eventide. It's sometimes on sale for $50 or less. It's by far the best reverb I know of for these things - I tried using ValhallaShimmer for a while but it sounded a bit ugly in the mids. Blackhole has a much, much nicer sound imo for massively long reverb tails.

Libraries with Trailer sound design like echoing pings? Doubt any exist. :P

In all seriousness here's some links to trailer samples:

Karel Psota - Many Free Sound Packs at the bottom of his website.
AVA Music group - AVA Instinct, some free
DosComp - 50 Whooshes and 50 Impacts, some free
EpicSoundEffects.com - Quantum and Aurora, some free
EpicComposer.com - Monument, some free
Evenant - Cinematic Textures and Composer Toolkit, free
Federico Fernández - Effective Trailer Pack, paid
Fingerprint - Unity, some free
Audio Imperia - Epic Trailer Sounds by Generdyn, free
KeepForest - Aizerx and Devastator Free packs (these are usable in music when he was asked).
Mammoth Audio - Loads of things from them if you are subbed. Arise, Flash, Flow, Iron, etc, free
PulseSetter - Loads again, some free.
TH Studio - Booms, hits, etc. purchase only.
Alex Pfeffer - Braams, risers, downers, etc. purchase only, but cheap, and dude's awesome.
Impact soundworks - Juggernaut, paid.

Bigger, dedicated libraries come from the likes of:
Audio Imperia, KeepForest, 8Dio, Pulsesetter, Sample Logic. These companies create interfaces which are built around sound design use and generation.

Also worth looking at audioplugin.deals, as they will have deals on all the time with this kind of stuff, keepforest Atlantica and Dragon and other bundles go on sale for dirt-cheap at times.

As others have mentioned, you can use things like Little Plate, Black Hole, Tremolator, echo boy, etc to get there if you want to make your own.

I have tried piano, with some decapitator and a good amount of verb, but I am not there.

Thanks!

Now that I know what they are called, I can do a preoper search (nothing was coming up with "signals". I came across this:

Which I may get for that amount of money. Would still like to know where to start to create my own. Omnisphere, maybe?

Thanks everyone!
Hi, I am the principal creator of the Bing Bang Boom Music Library. When I get some extra time maybe late tonight, I'll open the session for the Agitator Trailer Ping and tell you what I used for instruments, FXs, number of layers, etc. Cheers, Bill

Thanks!

Thanks everyone!

its rare to find specific libraries for that. these sounds are normally included in almost every trailer sample library .

we made a bunch here
its like 250 samples for sirens which is another name for signals.

you can make your own of course. with any sound design work, its just a pita since it takes some time to get enough options for a track or worth it against just buying from folks that mass make them.. where you can find one that fits your needs... (and i guess plenty that dont :)
it varies but its about layers for the sound. like adding metal sounds like scrapes, random bowed stuff and chopping the attack. animal sounds pitched up or down. some sort of organic sound like that and using effects and stretching to capture something different and unique.
then layer it with synths that complement it or double it. and also what works is synths that morph like wavetable synth and automating the playback of the wavetable cursor.
and then mixing it with piano sounds. or even submarine or other types of "pings".

Hi, I am the principal creator of the Bing Bang Boom Music Library. When I get some extra time maybe late tonight, I'll open the session for the Agitator Trailer Ping and tell you what I used for instruments, FXs, number of layers, etc. Cheers, Bill

That would be ace bill, always interested in seeing how others produce sound design.

That would be awesome - thank you! :)
Hi Ron,

Here's the rundown-Serum was the main synth. A custom made patch with very sharp attack and very little sustain, decay, release. There was two layers of that in octaves. Added to that were two layers of a ride cymbal bell in octaves with very little decay. There was also a crunchy sample that was super short to give a bit distortion. All attacks were edited as audio and aligned to be very tight. I used two reverbs-Fab Filter Pro R, and Zynaptique Adapti Verb, also Zynaptique Wormhole which has pitch effects and reverb as well. SoundToys Echoboy for some bounce also routed to the reverbs. UAD Shadow Hills on the Two Bus feeding the Master channel with Waves Kramer Tape, UAD Massive Passive, Izotope Ozone 8 and Fab Filter Limiter. When creating similar sound design I save the template. Cubase snapshots handy too. Running Mac Pro 8 Core trash can, buffer set to 2048 and barely handling the plugs but I like to tweak the whole chain. Cheers, B

Attachments

• BBB-Agitator Ping Mastering.png
    BBB-Agitator Ping Mastering.png
    232.1 KB · Views: 39
  • BBB-Agitator Ping.png
    BBB-Agitator Ping.png
    157.2 KB · Views: 38
Would still like to know where to start to create my own. Omnisphere, maybe?

Easy to do these in Omnisphere - as always with trailer music, there are two rules: ton of reverb + ton of layering. Here's a quick one.

For those boom/impact layers you can check my tutorial here.

I used the impact sound created in the tutorial and layered it with a piano soundsource in Omnisphere, but you can use anything. Here's the result:

Ping patch settings:

Piano 1.JPG

Piano 2.jpg

Add a good amount of reverb and you're good to go. Omnisphere's built in Waveshaper sounds great with anything, so you don't even need external distortion. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Top Bottom