What's new

The "Unofficial" Berlin Studio Manual

It is mentioned very, very clearly on the website that it requires iLok USB or iLok Cloud.

As you have an iLok USB key, I advise you to use that for offline use.
Sir, as I mentioned above, I knew before I purchased the software that iLok was required. I do have a key, but it is a pain to have to remember it every time I leave home. So, unless I buy a second, I would need the cloud. My question to you would be; Is there nothing the developer of the software can do to stop iLok from needing to phone home every 5 minutes? Is it possible for the developer to request that it only requires perhaps an initial verification?

Sir, as I mentioned above, I knew before I purchased the software that iLok was required. I do have a key, but it is a pain to have to remember it every time I leave home. So, unless I buy a second, I would need the cloud. My question to you would be; Is there nothing the developer of the software can do to stop iLok from needing to phone home every 5 minutes? Is it possible for the developer to request that it only requires perhaps an initial verification?
Excuse me if I am replying (intentionally) harsh, but I have the impression that you are complaining for the sake of complaining.

Be aware that developers have some information on how their licenses are registered.

You have Berlin Studio registered on an iLok key! What is the purpose of your post here?

You have not contacted support, you have not asked for a refund (which I would gladly offer you), you are instead venting on a forum with incorrect information about your setup.

Again: this product requires iLok USB or iLok Cloud - as stated on the website.

Last edited:
Excuse me if I am replying (intentionally) harsh, but I have the impression that you are complaining for the sake of complaining.

Be aware that developers have some information on how their licenses are registered.

You have Berlin Studio registered on an iLok key! What is the purpose of your post here?

You have not contacted support, you have not asked for a refund (which I would gladly offer you), you are instead venting on a forum with incorrect information about your setup.

Again: this product requires iLok USB or iLok Cloud - as stated on the website.
Your initial response as well as this were curt. Though, you seem to be unnecessarily aggressive, I'm going to try and maintain my cool. It's presumptuous of you to make the claim that I'm complaining just to complain. Furthermore, I am a customer. Because you are a manufacturer of a product I purchased, it would seem as though you may be a bit more courteous.

You mention that "developers have some info on how there licenses are registered"; which I assumed and is why I asked you a plain question above; "Is there nothing the developer of the software can do to stop iLok from needing to phone home every 5 minutes?" If the answer is no, be cordial and say so. You don't have to be rude.

I don't want or need a refund, but I don't like feeling as though my work should be more difficult because of hackers, etc. Because you seemed to forthcoming with info, I decided to ask you here.

You keep mentioning iLok is required. I understand. As I've mentioned several times before. I have a key but I had never used CLOUD with your product. It's NOT incorrect info on my setup.

I hate iLok and I'm sure this is why others do as well. I'm respectfully asking you as a customer to do something about this

This is what makes me angry:

You decided to ignore the iLok requirements mentioned on the website.

And now "as a customer", you are asking the developer to do something about his use of iLok.

If you hate iLok do not buy software that uses and requires it.

Close your iLok Cloud session and use the plugin with your iLok USB stick, like you do with your other licenses. That does not require an online connection.

You decided to ignore the iLok requirements mentioned on the website

And now "as a customer", you are asking the developer to do something about his use of iLok.

If you hate iLok do not buy software that uses it.
I like the product your company made. But they need to think about hiring someone else to be consumer facing other than you. Have a good day.

I like the product your company made. But they need to think about hiring someone else to be consumer facing other than you. Have a good day.
I am the company, the developer and the support department.

I try to do my best, but occasionally I can lose my temper, especially with people using the Customer Entitlement argument in combination with the Ignoring The Requirements condition.

I can't work like this. How can I have peace of mind if I know when my internet messes up, I won't be able to use the product I paid for? I'm not certain how it needs to be handled, but you all need to make a patch for the software that does NOT constantly phone home.
...I knew before I purchased the software that iLok was required. I do have a key, but it is a pain to have to remember it every time I leave home...
Furthermore, I am a customer. Because you are a manufacturer of a product I purchased, it would seem as though you may be a bit more courteous.

Last edited:
I am the company, the developer and the support department.

I try to do my best, but occasionally I can lose my temper, especially with people using the Customer Entitlement argument in combination with the Ignoring The Requirements condition.
Then, you should consider having some other people help. Oddly enough, this happens to be a thread based on NOT having a manual, which I could not find when trying to learn your product. That's actually how I ended up here. Guess, I wasn't "entitled" to a manual on how to use what I purchased either.

I swear, no other community has to deal with customer support issues the way that sample library consumers do. Seems to me that all you producers are "entitled" in that you don't have to listen to feedback or understand anyone else's position. I've seen similar behavior from other developers here too when others "vent" their frustrations.

I guess you're "entitled" to have me understand that you're a smaller developer and you don't have the resources everyone else does. So, that's why I should have to deal with it.

Nonetheless, I still commend you on a great plugin.

Last edited:
Then, you should consider having some other people help. Oddly enough, this happens to be a thread based on NOT having a manual, which I could not find when trying to learn your product. That's actually how I ended up here. Guess, I was "entitled" to a manual on how to use what I purchased either.

I swear, no other community has to deal with customer support issues the way that sample library consumers do. Seems to me that all you producers are "entitled" in that you don't have to listen to feedback or understand anyone else's position. I've seen similar behavior from other developers here too when others "vent" their frustrations.

I guess you're "entitled" to have me understand that you're a smaller developer and you don't have the resources everyone else does. So, that's why I should have to deal with it.

Nonetheless, I still commend you on a great plugin.

Michael,

1. This is not a customer support section for Samplicity.

2. Read your own first post, you claim that the plugin "phones home". Was there a question for support, help, or explanation in it? No. But you ask for software changes. Doh.
Could it be possible that you made an incorrect conclusion?

It does not phone home with the USB key. Have you verified that by now? Can you confirm that?

You have a USB key that also carries all your other licenses, so the point of "forgetting" the key for Berlin Studio is moot. If you forget it, you can also not access your EW and other licenses.

3. You hate iLok and you purchased a product that requires it. Your issue, not mine.

4. Keep repeating your points, so that I can do the same with mine. I will focus on iLok, you will focus on how I run my business, I expect.

If you would have sent an email to support, this could have been settled very quickly (and maybe even friendly)

Last edited:
If possible, use the panning in the Source channel for your instrument sound if you want to position it in the stereo image.

This way the reverb channels will receive "their part" in full stereo (from the Input channel), which is the idea behind how the acoustics were captured in IRs.

The GUI control for panning, by the way, is improved in the upcoming update - it is a bit vague and confusing in the current version.
So again to follow up from the discussion on the other thread: if say I want to position a section of violins and I have a centered close mic of them, I presume first of all that I select the IR for the first violins. Am I correct that this will then position them correctly in the various mics?

If I then want to add close (spot) mics for detail, then I pan the source so it gives the impression of being located in the right spot using the plugin, much as I would pan a spot mic to align with the stereo image of the tree. Is that correct?

And I make the panning adjustments inside the plugin so that the IRs for the various mic positions receive the non-panned signal they expect. Is that correct?

Finally, is there a way to use Berlin Studio effectively on signals other than close centered mics, that is, say, in situ recordings done with a tree? I know (or at least believe it to be the case) this is not what the plugin is designed to do, but I’m curious about its mechanics and what the expected behavior is when fed a signal that is already positioned and with room information. I’m interested in this not so much because I have any plans to use it this way but more because I’m still getting my head around what it does.

This is not a customer support section for Samplicity
100% agree. This is supposed to be a resource which collects techniques on how best to use Berlin Studio, not a place to publicly file complaints. I have no actual moderation tools so all I can do is just politely request to move this conversation to either direct messages or the official Samplicity support email. Thanks!

So again to follow up from the discussion on the other thread: if say I want to position a section of violins and I have a centered close mic of them, I presume first of all that I select the IR for the first violins. Am I correct that this will then position them correctly in the various mics?
Yes, that is the approach

If I then want to add close (spot) mics for detail, then I pan the source so it gives the impression of being located in the right spot using the plugin, much as I would pan a spot mic to align with the stereo image of the tree. Is that correct?
Yes, if you want to mix signal from the Source channel I recommend to adjust the panning to position that signal in the stereo field. Toggling the solo button on the Source channel may help with finding good panning settings.

In the current 1.2 version the panning is a bit clumsy/awkward. The next version will have two knobs back for the stereo panning.

And I make the panning adjustments inside the plugin so that the IRs for the various mic positions receive the non-panned signal they expect. Is that correct?
Exactly, the mic channels get their signal from the Input channel. I recommend keeping the panning wide in the Input channel (panning should not have been there, but I can't take it out anymore...)
Finally, is there a way to use Berlin Studio effectively on signals other than close centered mics, that is, say, in situ recordings done with a tree? I know (or at least believe it to be the case) this is not what the plugin is designed to do, but I’m curious about its mechanics and what the expected behavior is when fed a signal that is already positioned and with room information. I’m interested in this not so much because I have any plans to use it this way but more because I’m still getting my head around what it does.
There is no good or bad, "effective" would indeed be a better word.
Localization/position/room information relies on information provided by the early reflections. If you use a signal with already quite some ERs, you can lower the ER amount(s) in Berlin Studio. The time range used is 80 msec. I personally find this an effective approach, but effectiveness can be a subjective variable of course.

Yes, that is the approach

Yes, if you want to mix signal from the Source channel I recommend to adjust the panning to position that signal in the stereo field. Toggling the solo button on the Source channel may help with finding good panning settings.

In the current 1.2 version the panning is a bit clumsy/awkward. The next version will have two knobs back for the stereo panning.

Exactly, the mic channels get their signal from the Input channel. I recommend keeping the panning wide in the Input channel (panning should not have been there, but I can't take it out anymore...)

There is no good or bad, "effective" would indeed be a better word.
Localization/position/room information relies on information provided by the early reflections. If you use a signal with already quite some ERs, you can lower the ER amount(s) in Berlin Studio. The time range used is 80 msec. I personally find this an effective approach, but effectiveness can be a subjective variable of course.
Thank you! Most helpful.

Michael,

1. This is not a customer support section for Samplicity.

2. Read your own first post, you claim that the plugin "phones home". Was there a question for support, help, or explanation in it? No. But you ask for software changes. Doh.
Could it be possible that you made an incorrect conclusion?

It does not phone home with the USB key. Have you verified that by now? Can you confirm that?

You have a USB key that also carries all your other licenses, so the point of "forgetting" the key for Berlin Studio is moot. If you forget it, you can also not access your EW and other licenses.

3. You hate iLok and you purchased a product that requires it. Your issue, not mine.

4. Keep repeating your points, so that I can do the same with mine. I will focus on iLok, you will focus on how I run my business, I expect.

If you would have sent an email to support, this could have been settled very quickly (and maybe even friendly)
As the OP has requested that we chill out, I will say just these things:

1) You kind of turned it into a customer support section by not having a manual.
2) Customer support includes feedback, sir. Requesting software changes falls under that umbrella.
3) I already know it doesn't phone home with a key. I've said that already. The issue was with the cloud service. I admit that I didn't know that the cloud service would continue to phone home. I thought it was basically a service for verifying that I own a license. I mentioned above that I had never used the cloud service. That said, my point about "forgetting" is NOT moot. If I forget my iLok, I would have to rely on cloud, which phones home in the middle of sessions and could potentially give out on me if there is no connection.

And lastly, if you could have been a little less rude in all of your posts from the beginning, this could have also been settled quickly and (definitely) more friendly. I never insulted you or YOUR software. In fact, I only praised it.

As the OP has requested that we chill out, I will say just these things:

1) You kind of turned it into a customer support section by not having a manual.
2) Customer support includes feedback, sir. Requesting software changes falls under that umbrella.
3) I already know it doesn't phone home with a key. I've said that already. The issue was with the cloud service. I admit that I didn't know that the cloud service would continue to phone home. I thought it was basically a service for verifying that I own a license. I mentioned above that I had never used the cloud service. That said, my point about "forgetting" is NOT moot. If I forget my iLok, I would have to rely on cloud, which phones home in the middle of sessions and could potentially give out on me if there is no connection.

And lastly, if you could have been a little less rude in all of your posts from the beginning, this could have also been settled quickly and (definitely) more friendly. I never insulted you or YOUR software. In fact, I only praised it.
Stay with your original post, please. Stop adding new topics.

Before I answered your first post, I had seen that it contained statements that were conflicting with the iLok registration information that I have access to. That made your claims at least suspect.

If you then also state that you purchased the plugin in spite of your iLok hate and you ask for software changes, I consider that as creating a dismissive and uncooperative situation. All your licenses were/are on your iLok USB key. You could use Berlin Studio from the start without internet connection. Instead you ask for software changes, not for support or help.

And now you do it again: "if I forget my iLok..."

That thing holds ALL your licenses - so this is not a Berlin Studio thing, it applies to all your other software as well.

Why have you not first tested the plugin in Trial-mode, to see if it could work with your way of working? I have even offered you a refund, in case you regretted your purchase.

Last edited:
Stay with your original post, please. Stop adding new topics.

Before I answered your first post, I had seen that it contained statements that were conflicting with the iLok registration information that I have access to. That made your claims at least suspect.

If you then also state that you purchased the plugin in spite of your iLok hate and you ask for software changes, I consider that as creating a dismissive and uncooperative situation. All your licenses were/are on your iLok USB key. You could use Berlin Studio from the start without internet connection. Instead you ask for software changes, not for support or help.

And now you do it again: "if I forget my iLok..."

That thing holds ALL your licenses - so this is not a Berlin Studio thing, it applies to all your other software as well.
Good day to you, Peter.

Thanks for the replies - but I'm a bit confused! Let's say I have a string ensemble - Vln 1 & 2, Vla, Vc & Cb. So 5 Individual tracks. I think I should put an instance of Berlin Studio on each of the tracks and set the space in each plugin to the specific Instrument - is that correct. If I have several tracks for each Instrument - eg. different articulations - i should in that case set up a send from the eg Violins 4 tracks to a single bus with an instance of BS on it set to Violins 1 - and so on for each group of tracks relating to a single instrument. Am I understanding correctly now? :emoji_blush:
I've taken a slighty different approach with this. In Logic I have set up a summing folder for 'Strings', then within that are individual summing folders for 1st and 2nd violins, violas, cellos and basses. As summing folders have effects inserts like any other channel strip, I have one instance of BS for each strings section, and each summing folder for each strings section houses tracks for any individual articulation I need.

Good demo:

and discussion about the setup:

Hi Peter,

Quick question about the "Distance delay" display at the bottom… What is that measuring the distance between? What are the "to" and "from" there?

Thanks!

Hi Peter,

Quick question about the "Distance delay" display at the bottom… What is that measuring the distance between? What are the "to" and "from" there?

Thanks!
Shortest distance from where we emitted sounds in the studio to the closest hall microphone, typically the Decca Center. So using the time it took for sound waves to hit the hall mics.

Hi Peter,

One more question for you. Out of curiosity, is Berlin Studio sampled in the Teldex "Wide" configuration where the sound stage is wider than long, or where it's longer than wide? The image in the plugin leads me to believe its longer than wide, but I thought it might be worth asking.

Top Bottom