What's new

The Guy Michelmore Appreciation Thread

A very likeable man who is generous in sharing his expertise and enthusiasm. Like some others I remember his father, Cliff Mitchelmore and also his mother Jean Metcalf. Of course Christian Henson's parents were also "media people". His mother was the lovely Una Stubbs and father Nicky Henson.
Too bad Christain Henson's channel had the opposite effect on me.

I used to love Guy's videos in the old days. He was the only one publicly giving you insights on the process of composing for medias.
However, though he's always fun to watch, I now have the feeling he has been pushed as a marketing product, either to sell his courses and probably also to promote Spitfire products. He never talked about his relations with Spitfire but that seems really obvious to me. And his videos are now way too frequent, too edited, too "professional".
I almost don't look his videos anymore, though I like the guy.

Although I deeply appreciate and respect anyone sharing their knowledge and experience online, I must agree that there are frequently "ulterior motives" behind this and I'm fine with that. Personally, I have seldom experienced some "Eureka" moment while watching various tutorials and educational videos - by actually learning and discovering something I haven't already known from many years of self-discovering music and growing as a musician and composer. I tend to be rather selective about what to read and view online and try not to fall for click baits and bold titles promising something "game and life-changing". I merely seek fresh inspiration and motivation, and something that could potentially help me make my workflow easier.

Speaking of Guy Michelmore, I like his easygoing approach while explaining serious matters although he sometimes gets a bit carried away with theatricals. But his positive energy and enthusiasm are undeniable. Also his experience and expertise.

Last edited:
Top Bottom