What's new

Synthesizer V - Vocaloid haters might want to check this

In other news (kinda related to odd SynthV behaviour...).

This is a single note being sung by Weina (as backup, which is why it's one isolated note):

You'll see that the pitch line starts around 1/4 note before the actual note (which is normal - putting the Piano Roll in pitch-edit mode shows that) but if I solo Weina, I can clearly hear that she sings that too - there's audio from the start of that dotted pitch line. The note is a Bb in Cm, so when she starts on A and slides up it's out of key.

This doesn't only happen with Weina. Natalie, Kevin, Mai and Hayden also do it, though they start much closer to the actual note, so it's not an issue. If I create a test track with Solaria, the pitch curve starts before the note, but there's no audio until the start of the note.

Generating a new take doesn't change it. Changing voice modes (this is 100% Resonant) doesn't fix it. Adding a br with minimum duration and strength as a firm phoneme alters the curve, but doesn't stop her starting early.

Best fix I can find is to drop Loudness by 36dB before the note and return it to 0dB immediately before the start. Which works, but I'd love to have a better way to control it.

Any ideas?
You found a bug!
Put a small note in front with /-/ as lyrics.

The problem is solved, consonant waveform is visible and now you have control over the pitch of the syllable attack moving it up or down in the piano roll:

1712585002598.png

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
Understood, well let's hope they will bring something interesting regarding that side. It should be time to change drastically the traditional approach to choir libraries.
Although Asterian has an Operatic vocal mode, the voice library has not been trained in that musical style. They just need to record the right voices, trained in classical, romantic and operatic styles.

Here is a quick sample of converting audio (from one of the voice provider's YouTube videos) to notes and pitch in similar style:

Phantom Of The Opera - All I Ask Of You - Asterian
View attachment Phantom - Asterian.mp3

Th reference video:

I have lowered the strength of the non-voiced consonants quite a bit to reduce their articulation, leaving a more fluid result.

Vocal mode setup:
1712662604277.png

This is kinda related to SynthV...

I thought others might be interested to see a little of what it's like to work with SynthV in a VR headset.
Synthesizer V - Vocaloid haters might want to check this Synthesizer V - Vocaloid haters might want to check this
These two shots show three monitors on a Macbook running Logic Pro. Because the field of view is wide, I had to take two screenshots; the first screenshot shows the Mixer window on the left monitor and part of Logic's Tracks window on the middle monitor. The second screenshot shows the Tracks window again and the SynthV plugin open on the right monitor.

I find this a nice way of working for some parts of my workflow; when I'm messing about with SynthV and getting a vocal line right, it's great to have a huge monitor to see the UI in detail. That's especially true if I switch to the SynthV standalone app. And when I'm mixing, I find it very helpful to have the Mixer and Tracks both visible at once.

This is happening in a Quest 3 VR headset, using the Immersed app to let me connect to my Macbook and have three independent virtual monitors. I use Immersed also because you can see I created a large "passthrough" space so that I can see my piano and Apple keyboards and my aftertouch/drum pads.

For audio, I use my regular Beyerdynamic headphones over the headset, because I don't want any audio lag and I do want maximum sound quality.

[...] and have three independent virtual monitors.

[...] For audio, I use my regular Beyerdynamic headphones over the headset, because I don't want any audio lag and I do want maximum sound quality.
Interesting setup.
I worked with 3 (non virtual) 26" displays for a long time, but they take up a lot of space, so I replaced them with a 43" 4K display and never looked back.

I second Beyerdynamic headphones, they are my #1 for a long time, and if something breaks or wears out, you still get replacement parts.
Great company!

Wow, that's spectacular!

How much voice tweaking did that take in SV? Also, what reverb/other effects are you using?

Cheers,

Not much tweaking... this is the total thing (so far) -

Voice is in auto mode, so other than the vibrato, there's no pitch alteration. Notes are placed on a 1/16th quantized grid. No customization of phonemes.

I have Izotope Nectar as an insert... its not really doing much, just a little compression and minor EQ - could use any channel strip really. I have two reverbs on there (an EMT plate, and an instance of Raum). Its mostly just leftover from noodling. Not much thought put into it at this point.

I was really just noodling around, and it kind of fell into this. I just had to post because the voice is so gorgeous and I feel as though Sheena has been overshadowed. I may have contributed to this overshadowing, since I wasn't really very enthusiastic about her when I got the voicebank. These days she is without hesitation, my favourite.

@richiebee dammit, now I think I need to add Sheena to my purchase list. But then again, I was just thinking about how to shake up the Solaria-and-Natalie combo that I’ve been using so much!

The tone is your piece is beautiful. I stayed away from Sheena because of the reported pronunciation issues (she’s bilingual, correct) and her demos seemed kind of choppy compared to Solaria and Natalie. Do you find that to be the case?

I also have Kevin and Hayden, so I thought that I would purchase Saros next, but I may have to rethink that based on your demo.

The tone is your piece is beautiful. I stayed away from Sheena because of the reported pronunciation issues (she’s bilingual, correct) and her demos seemed kind of choppy compared to Solaria and Natalie. Do you find that to be the case?
Since I just bought Sheena and immediately tested her out on the vocal line for a new project... yeah, I do hear at least one Japanese-accent issue. Specifically, the default r for the Soft voice mode has a definite Japanese quality. But with Sheena I found that changing to an alternate for that phoneme made an audible difference; the Alt 1 r sound solved the problem. I usually find that phoneme alternates have no audible effect; I hope this is a sign of Dreamtonics offering more variation.

After receiving the confirmation email, enter the promotional code as follows to get the 30% off coupon, which only works for your first order within 24 hours (or 72 hours, I am not sure)

Note that they do not accept PayPal, only credit cards.

1712069625513.png
1712069790300.png
1712069740119.png
1712069837236.png
Just went to buy these two only to find they are not accepting Visa..

Since I just bought Sheena and immediately tested her out on the vocal line for a new project... yeah, I do hear at least one Japanese-accent issue. Specifically, the default r for the Soft voice mode has a definite Japanese quality. But with Sheena I found that changing to an alternate for that phoneme made an audible difference; the Alt 1 r sound solved the problem. I usually find that phoneme alternates have no audible effect; I hope this is a sign of Dreamtonics offering more variation.
Yeah, I agree with you, and this is mainly what put me off in the very early days (probably close to launch day if I'm honest LOL), but I've been unable to re-produce it lately. Thanks for the heads up of where it is :).

I also have Kevin and Hayden, so I thought that I would purchase Saros next, but I may have to rethink that based on your demo.
I must admit to being one who complained about her accent on launch. I'm glad I gave her another chance, because almost all the time, there's no correction to do. As Mothershout says above, there is a slight issue with the "r" sound. For me personally, I would only worry about this for backing vocals - its not pronounced. I think she's the smoothest voice to work with. I suspect the less than stellar demos are the timing of release (with three other Dreamtonics voices and IIRC, quite close to Eclipsed Saros), have meant that she didn't get much of a chance. Not a ton of vocal modes, but definitely enough to give a really wide range of expression, and just naturally smooth.

In my opinion (and that's literally all it is!), Hayden is better than Saros. I know they don't cover exactly the same ground, but I find Saros' diction to be a bit sloppy in places, where Hayden is crisper and cleaner. Just got to get out of Hayden's low register, and push it a bit to bring it alive. There is a style that Saros can do, that Hayden really can't, so whether it makes sense to have both, depends on your style of music.

I used Sheena on this one too - https://alonetone.com/richiebee/playlists/five-pins/the-sun-comes-closer, and had more comments on the quality of the voice, than I did about the quality of the songwriting. :D

I must admit to being one who complained about her accent on launch. I'm glad I gave her another chance, because almost all the time, there's no correction to do. As Mothershout says above, there is a slight issue with the "r" sound. For me personally, I would only worry about this for backing vocals - its not pronounced. I think she's the smoothest voice to work with. I suspect the less than stellar demos are the timing of release (with three other Dreamtonics voices and IIRC, quite close to Eclipsed Saros), have meant that she didn't get much of a chance. Not a ton of vocal modes, but definitely enough to give a really wide range of expression, and just naturally smooth.

In my opinion (and that's literally all it is!), Hayden is better than Saros. I know they don't cover exactly the same ground, but I find Saros' diction to be a bit sloppy in places, where Hayden is crisper and cleaner. Just got to get out of Hayden's low register, and push it a bit to bring it alive. There is a style that Saros can do, that Hayden really can't, so whether it makes sense to have both, depends on your style of music.

I used Sheena on this one too - https://alonetone.com/richiebee/playlists/five-pins/the-sun-comes-closer, and had more comments on the quality of the voice, than I did about the quality of the songwriting. :D
"In my opinion (and that's literally all it is!), Hayden is better than Saros." Good to know!

Vocoflex is Dreamtonics’ experimental
approach to voice morphing.

a tool to replace your vocals with any voice.

Vocoflex is a real-time voice morphing plugin which can transform a vocal recording to sound like one or more other voices, including the ability to combine voices.

To avoid unethical uses of the technology, the output will include an inaudible watermark which can be used to trace a sample back to the user who created it. This mitigates the risk of copyright violations, nonconsensual use of someone’s voice or property, and impersonation.

Last edited:
Top Bottom