What's new

Synchron Woodwinds - Free Legato Update 2024

The espressivos patches in all the Synchron libraries are different recordings from the sustained longs? or these are pre-programed with the envelopes control?

Last edited:
Generally new lyrical legatos are better suited for slow and yep Lyrical passages, but in some cases old ones might work better, so it's very nice to have a choice! I personally hope that maybe we'll see even more new lyrical legatos for other woods (and maybe more Brass too??!)!)
the Synchron Horn Lyrical Legato doesn't sound quite as gorgeous as the horn in the Synchron SmartOrchestra to my ears which has much more prominent slurring of notes. I do hope VSL imports that over to Synchron Brass at some point because it is AMAZING in Synchron Smart orch. Same with the trumpet legato in Smart Orch.

the Synchron Horn Lyrical Legato doesn't sound quite as gorgeous as the horn in the Synchron SmartOrchestra to my ears which has much more prominent slurring of notes. I do hope VSL imports that over to Synchron Brass at some point because it is AMAZING in Synchron Smart orch. Same with the trumpet legato in Smart Orch.
Could you post a comparison? I'm very interested. I was disappointed by the horn 6 legato (Jupiter's) which has a very strange modulation (transition too abrupt). Is it different in the smart orchestra?

Could you post a comparison? I'm very interested. I was disappointed by the horn 6 legato (Jupiter's) which has a very strange modulation (transition too abrupt). Is it different in the smart orchestra?
I think we are talking about the solo horn.

the Synchron Horn Lyrical Legato doesn't sound quite as gorgeous as the horn in the Synchron SmartOrchestra to my ears which has much more prominent slurring of notes.
The horn in Synchron Smart Orchestra I find is not quite usable for this reason. The transitions are much louder than the notes themselves in a lot of cases. This is not the case with the Synchron Horn Lyrical Legato in the main brass package, so I think it's caused by a programming error in Synchron Smart Orchestra where the transition samples were made much louder than they are supposed to be.

It seems to be especially noticeable with quieter notes, so I suspect what might have happened is they might accidentally be using the legato transition samples for the mp layer in the pp layer or something.

The horn in Synchron Smart Orchestra I find is not quite usable for this reason. The transitions are much louder than the notes themselves in a lot of cases. This is not the case with the Synchron Horn Lyrical Legato in the main brass package, so I think it's caused by a programming error in Synchron Smart Orchestra where the transition samples were made much louder than they are supposed to be.

It seems to be especially noticeable with quieter notes, so I suspect what might have happened is they might accidentally be using the legato transition samples for the mp layer in the pp layer or something.
Hmm interesting. I find a complete lack of connection of notes in the Synchron Brass Lyrical Horn. It might as well be sustain long to my ears. I don’t hear enough connection of notes. The new wind lyrical legatos sound great by contrast and I’m hoping VSL keeps going in this direction with other Synchron libs.

I just (very quickly) compared the solo horn legato from the Smart Orchestra to the lyrical one in Synchron Brass.

The latter is much, much better to my ears.

So here's a recording of both, playing the same MIDI, with the default settings upon loading them, then normalized using Audacity. I'm not sure there's much difference. The default mic mix might be a bit different, as the Synchron Brass horn sounds further away. Probably the Smart Orchestra horn uses a different microphone mix that uses more close mic, which could impact the perceived level of the transition sample. Or the default EQ could be different.

SSO Horn:
View attachment SSO Horn.mp3
SYB Horn:
View attachment SYB Horn.mp3

The SSO horn is much louder in volume when it loads by default, so I had to normalize them in a different program to be reasonably sure that I was comparing apples to apples.

Last edited:
Not sure if it's just me, but the dynamics in the Clarinet new legato patch are completely different than the original legato patch....and not in a good way either.
Try starting CC1 at 127 and go down to about 80 in the new patch. It's not right. If you do the same on the original legato patch, it's just fine.
Please let me know if the library fix today fixes this issue.

Anyone having an issue with Vienna Assistant not completing the update?
1707398355556.png

After a half hour or so it hasn't finished nor deleted the parts file.

1707398396162.png

I do have one file installed that I can see - although much smaller than the parts file.
1707398497689.png

Anyone having an issue with Vienna Assistant not completing the update?
1707398355556.png

After a half hour or so it hasn't finished nor deleted the parts file.

1707398396162.png

I do have one file installed that I can see - although much smaller than the parts file.
1707398497689.png
The parts file is not part of the download. The Update5 Patch file is indeed only 346KB.

Please let me know if the library fix today fixes this issue.
Yes, the phasing problem is fixed.
Interesting that in the Flute and Clarinet, the Lyrical Legato is missing the the top dynamic that is definitely present in the normal legato....and yet with the Oboe, the Lyrical Legato seems to go just a hair higher in dynamics than the normal legato. Perhaps you guys meant for it to be like that?

Just want to say that I *really* appreciate that VSL maintains a CHANGELOG. It's nice to know that I can always look up which instruments changed as part of any update release, because then I just have to test those specific instruments in my template to understand if there's been anything I need to change (for example tweaks to my expression maps or mixes).

Just want to say that I *really* appreciate that VSL maintains a CHANGELOG. It's nice to know that I can always look up which instruments changed as part of any update release, because then I just have to test those specific instruments in my template to understand if there's been anything I need to change (for example tweaks to my expression maps or mixes).
Right now I'm also working on an update so you can see the latest changes directly within the Vienna Assistant in near future. It will not replace the changelog on vsl.info, but it will allow you to see what changed while you are updating :)

I hope it's OK to ask this here but Vienna Assistant (1.1.353) has me confused. It's showing that Synchron Duality Strings Sordino is NOT installed (when it actually is).

1708007711184.png

I tried 'Download Update' but that didn't seem to change the status. Do I need to re-download the entire 80gb library?

Same thing with Synchron Brass...

Top Bottom