What's new

Synapse Audio x Hans Zimmer (soon?)

Not my day either! The installer crashes every time I try to enter my activation code...
Screenshot 2024-05-05 at 1.07.00 PM.png
If I try to load the plugin in Logic, I get this...

Screenshot 2024-05-05 at 1.10.04 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-05-05 at 1.09.44 PM.png
Bizarrely there's no way to enter your serial number in the plugin itself. You have to re-install to get back to the activation screen. Online activation crashes every time, but I got around it by doing a challenge/response offline activation. I've never seen this before - what a weird way of managing authorizations. o_O
Obviously this needs to be fixed, in the meantime maybe you can try permissions reset and see if it helps at all?

drop the installer onto it with all options checked an hit reset, hopefully it'll help.

Why would Cubase block a VST3 plugin?
'cause it crashes it (after reactivation too, or when loading fx version in Plugindoctor). Surprisingly enough - have received a reply from support already, and continue conversation with them. But it seems that some do have issue with activation - I have tried online/offline, but neither solved it for me.

The fattest oscillators you’ve ever heard
Hmm ... I just wonder what a fat oscillator really is and that is an honest question. I do not want to argue about it!

An Oscillator is a defined wave shape of simple form and should theoretically always sound the same for saw, square, sine or whatever shape you are taking about. Of course there is some differences with analog oscillators, as the electronic parts and some compromises in the build to make the unit less expensive may lead to slight imperfections and also small changes over time. Still, the differences between oscillators are very slight and mostly noticeable when stacking 2 or more of the same wave forms. That is what I consider a fat oscillator sound, as layering of many oscillators with slight imperfections will cause some kind of non-linear modulation within the combined waveform. This happens without even trying when I tune some oscillators in my modular setup to the same pitch.

But simulating this behaviour digitally would today not seem to pose the greatest challenge, I would think! You could do that by either recording real waveforms from good sounding synths (using samples) or analyse those recordings and induce the observed modulations in your model of the oscillator (which is what most do, I believe).

AFAIK it has always been the real challenge to simulate good sounding filters and that was mainly what Diva and other great emulations of the last 10 years have kind of nailed. So, I am still puzzled to what should be so special about these oscillators that would not be possible with any of the existing great synth plugins.

Last edited:
Hmm ... I just wonder what a fat oscillator really is and that is an honest question. I do not want to argue about it!

An Oscillator is a defined wave shape of simple form and should theoretically always the same for saw, square, sine or whatever shape you are taking about. Of course there is some differences with analog oscillators, as the electronic parts and some compromises in the build to make the unit less expensive may lead to slight imperfections and also small changes over time. Still, the differences between oscillators are very slight and mostly noticeable when stacking 2 or more of the same wave forms. That is what I consider a fat oscillator sound, as layering of many oscillators with slight imperfections will cause some kind of non-linear modulation within the combined waveform. This happens without even trying when I tune some oscillators in my modular setup to the same pitch.

But simulating this behaviour digitally would today not seem to pose the greatest challenge, I would think! You could do that by either recording real waveforms from good sound synths (using samples) or analyse those recordings and induce the observed modulations in your model of the oscillator (which is what most do, I believe).

AFAIK it has always been the real challenge to simulate good sounding filters and that was mainly what Diva and other great emulations of the last 10 years have kind of nailed. So, I am still puzzled to what should be so special about these oscillators that would not be possible with any of the existing great synth plugins.

I’m definitely not qualified to give a detailed answer on that, I just know how it sounds compared to everything else I’ve used. Moog has always been known for having the fattest oscillators with the most low end and The Legend accurately models that better than any other synth I’ve tried, maybe this is something our good friend @ed buller can answer, he would certainly know more than me!!

I’m definitely not qualified to give a detailed answer on that, I just know how it sounds compared to everything else I’ve used. Moog has always been known for having the fattest oscillators with the most low end and The Legend accurately models that better than any other synth I’ve tried, maybe this is something our good friend @ed buller can answer, he would certainly know more than me!!
Moog 901's are the Gold Top 59 of oscillators . Hideously temperamental and will only stay in tune if your're nice to them. I made the mistake of telling Mr BOB himself how I preferred them to 921's. ( tad tactless!) .

I started work on Dunkirk just after the first Synapse version came out. Hans was blown away by it and I had it on the system in my room. There where many Minimoog plug ins before, but this one just felt real. Fat and buzzy. This new version is a huge step up and I suspect a Labour of love for Hans.

best

ed

I didn't have either - it was successfully activated. It just crashes the host later when I am trying to reactivate it to push from the blacklist :) But again, support team is on top of it (sent them vst3 files for investigation).
The Synapse Audio support is far beyond the term 'impressive'!!!
I am in the game!

Attachments

• Synapse Audio x Hans Zimmer (soon?)
    Screenshot 2024-05-06 at 2.54.22.png
    232.5 KB · Views: 37
Not my day either! The installer crashes every time I try to enter my activation code...
Screenshot 2024-05-05 at 1.07.00 PM.png
If I try to load the plugin in Logic, I get this...

Screenshot 2024-05-05 at 1.10.04 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-05-05 at 1.09.44 PM.png
Bizarrely there's no way to enter your serial number in the plugin itself. You have to re-install to get back to the activation screen. Online activation crashes every time, but I got around it by doing a challenge/response offline activation. I've never seen this before - what a weird way of managing authorizations. o_O
If your on an m series Mac, open the mount the DMG file and instead of running the installer, open the registration folder and run the universal version of the reg tool. Worked for me.

Intel 2019 Mac Pro and current versions of everything (OS/Logic etc). The plugin itself runs fine, I'm just glad I could use the offline option to register it.
Thank you for the info, so as suspected. So hopefully it's fixed now. The installer is updated now with the new tool. Could you please get the installer from the User area and check the tool by using online auth - the tool from the Register folder in the disk image (the one with Intel in the filename)? Thanks in advance!

Thank you for the info, so as suspected. So hopefully it's fixed now. The installer is updated now with the new tool. Could you please get the installer from the User area and check the tool by using online auth - the tool from the Register folder in the disk image (the one with Intel in the filename)? Thanks in advance!
Sure - it works fine now! :thumbsup:

Synapse Audio x Hans Zimmer (soon?)

Top Bottom