What's new

Studio One 6.6 released - with rather offensive pressure towards subscription

More here

I find this quite confusing.
180 bucks for studio one pro and one year of all plus features or 400 for pro only? 🤔

It's a shame. I really like this DAW, and I hope to be able to use for a long time, but trying to tie me up with a subscription with an avenue to neverending fee increases... no thanks. It's not that good.
I mean it is quite fair for someone who wants to start out. Especially if you take the 150 as an upgrade price and they do not force you to buy it every tine
Sounds a bit like Bitwings price model without the first fee for the daw itself

And I'm done supporting this company. Already had a feeling when they increased their subscription cost, and then removing their Studio One addons from their site and put them in sub only model. I already knew what was coming next and today my suspicions have been confirmed. No thanks.

I mean it is quite fair for someone who wants to start out. Especially if you take the 150 as an upgrade price and they do not force you to buy it every tine
Sounds a bit like Bitwings price model without the first fee for the daw itself
Yes, currently it is still that. But these things have the tendency of getting worse quickly once the critical mass of users have been lured in.

Yes, currently it is still that. But these things have the tendency of getting worse quickly once the critical mass of users have been lured in.
Very true -- but that's the main reason I left. It was fine prior to subscription, then the content offered with Pro went AWAL too. Also they tried to get me to switch me over, but like many I prefer perpetual. So that was that for me ...

Seems like an unnecessary amount of drama in this thread already for a pretty benign change to their annual subscription pricing plan.

Previously you got a discount on what you would have paid month-to-month by purchasing annually, but lose access to everything if you ever cancel. Now you can purchase annually and keep the Studio One Professional license perpetually with updates until the next major POINT version number (e.g. 6.6 to 6.7 and beyond) so you would only lose access to anything beyond the DAW itself.

Sure, it might sting that someone new can basically buy a perpetual Studio One Pro license for $179 instead of $399 and get some bonus stuff for a year. Not the end of the world.

As far as Studio One+ exclusive content goes, call me when PreSonus actually puts out something worth the subscription, because most of it is shovelware aimed at beginners or those without their own 3rd party library collection (aka most of VI-C would not be impacted).

Edited for accuracy per @SonicMojo post later in the thread.

Last edited:
It's my take that subscription inevitably leads to a developer's diminished motivation to attract users with quality new features, maturation of existing features, and bug fixes. The developer needs to do just enough to not alienate users so badly they cancel their subscription. This is far different than needing to do enough keep people paying for significant development.

I am really, really concerned if Studio One is moving gradually towards a subscription model, as if slowly boiling a frog. Only when the frog feels too much pain will he jump out of the slowly simmering pot.

To me this warrants even now a degree of caution with regards to any Studio One expenditures. Even if they have not formally instituted a "must subscribe" model, they are leaving open the door to a future state where I would have to make that choice. How am I supposed to know if and when they are going to walk through that door?

At this time I own what I pay for so long as it keeps working with my PC, but who knows when ownership will force me to run the risk of obsolescence with no prospect apart from subscription to make sure their development keeps it current?

I'd love to move completely to Cubase 13, but it has major CPU spikes for me after you work on a track for a while... So I'm forced to use S1.

I don't care about Tunecore, soundcloud or more subscriptions. If anything, one would expect S1 v7 at this point

Seems like an unnecessary amount of drama in this thread already for a pretty benign change to their annual subscription pricing plan.
Yes to the first part.

As far as Studio One+ exclusive content goes, call me when PreSonus actually puts out something worth the subscription, because most of it is shovelware aimed at beginners or those without their own 3rd party library collection (aka most of VI-C would not be impacted).
Triple yes for that aspect.

I find no reason to feel affected by this or any subscription, if saving money is the carrot, I prefer the whip and pay the upgrade/update if I find it attractive, so far S1 has all I need in a DAW. Besides, I wouldn't buy bread at the gas station either, I rather go to a bakery, even if it's wonderbread.

If they get enough subscriptions, what is their motivation for releasing version 7 with any particular hurry? Granted, I don't want them to hurry, I want them to spend what time they need to implement their plans with a concern for quality. But human nature is such that people and companies respond to motivations. There is now less motivation to develop for non-subscription customers.

Last edited:
Already moved on. The whole subscription thing is already out of hand. We're being put in a position where our whole Life is being rented out and we're nothing but monthly revenue, and I'm not referring to music companies but all aspects of "modern" Life.

On the other hand if you can't make at least the monthly subscription for S1 with your music then you're not really trying...

Historically, they have released every 2 years 2018 (4.0), 2020 (5.0), 2022 (6.0), and so far costing $150 per upgrade. That's $75/year compared to Studio One Hybrid at $180/year. Nobody knows what they'll do in the future in terms of frequency of release and price of upgrade, but at least based on historical data, this new offering is targeted only to new users.

Top Bottom