What's new

Sooo many reverbs but which one would you prefer for orchestral use?

I use a custom IR in Space Designer for early reflections on dry libraries, then either Acon Digital Verberate, 2C B2, or 7th Heaven Pro for overall tail.

I use the factory reverbs what comes with cubase now, because they are so great sounding. Please have in mind that I can use all other effects like eq, compressor etc. in the same effect channal. ... ;)

There are sooooo many good reverbs out there but which would you likely use for orchestra?

1) Altiverb
2) Valhalla Room
3) Bricasti M7 (Seventh Heaven & etc)
4) QL Spaces 1/2
5) R2 Surround / Stereo
6) Lexicon
7) Reverbrate
8) FabFilter
9) VSS3

& etc....

I've watched Spitfire's latest comparison video on the reverb wars (video 2). It's kinda interesting to watch the blind fold test. using ears to judge what you think best without telling you what's the reverb used but would really love to hear what's your preference and why ?

I really like Altiverb and has heard many good things about it but that price....oh my.

p/s: OH MY. I really fall in love with the photos of all the concert hall on Altiverb's websites. (broken link removed) beautiful !!
So many great verbs to choose from, and most of them will get it done just fine. I love the Exponential Audio reverbs R2, R4, PhoenixVerb & Nimbus, Lexicon Native Reverbs, LiquidSonics' Cinematic Rooms Pro & Seventh Heaven, UA's UAD-2 Lexicon 224 & 480L, Softube's TSAR-1, Eventide's Blackhole, FabFilter's Pro-R, EW Spaces, and Waves' IR-1, Abbey Road Reverbs, MM Reverb & H-Reverb. VSL's MIR Spatial Convolution Reverb sounds incredible too and if I was gonna spend the money I would get MIR over AltiVerb. Nobody needs so many verbs, as any of them will get it done. It is certainly nice to have at least one convolution and one algorithmic.

Sorry, I didn't read the whole thread. I find reverb to be one of the most subjective effects, so to me, nothing conveys the sense of depth and space as well as Relab VSR-S24 does (although the UI isn't my cup of tea). For reference, here are some reverb's I own and have been using:

EA Phoenix-Nimbus: "plain sounding" is the best thing I can say about it.

Everything Liquidsonics except for Cinematic Rooms: to me, they just take too much space in the mix (except for Reverberate, of course).

Waves H-Verb: I hated early reflections, so everything else didn't matter to me.

United Plugins Hyperspace: very promising (considering the price); I especially value the distance adjustment - very useful for "FX" work. The ability to chose algorithm by dragging a point in the XY square is nice and easy. The UI doesn't look mature.

Relab Rev-A: Love it! Not sure about orchestral work.

I also should mention two Plugin-Alliance "gadgets" - dearVR Music and Schoeps mono upmix. Both are essentially early reflections generators (+ some filtering) aimed at positioning a source in space and can be used in tandem with other reverb's that allow for turning off an early reflections section.

EDIT: I'm not a composer but a sound engineer by trade.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fox
Spaces 2 for instruments / sections, Seventh Heaven to glue it all together :emoji_ok_hand:
I picked up seventh heaven this morning...this combo is working so well! and I didn't tweak anything...just left seventh heaven on Boston Hall B...like a thermos...it just knows what to do. I also appreciate how easy to understand and use the standard version is.

It looks like there are as many preferences as there are composers, matched by just as many reverbs...

And tastes can change and opinions evolve, since my post last year I got Seventh Heaven and its what I use for 98% of what I do now. It blows me away every time I use it like the first time I put it on a track.

Top Bottom