What's new

Sonible Smart:EQ3

If I have one minor gripe (and it is really minor) it would be the same one as in EQ 2... all the provided factory presets seem to geared exclusively towards pop / rock music (as if nothing else exists), it would be nice to see some examples for orchestral sections or solo instruments as well (I mostly write film scores) :)

Agreed. In the previous version they had profiles for brass, strings etc... was a little surprised they didn't include these in the new release. Pretty sure they'll add some extra profiles if people suggest it.

I've been following this one since they announced it last week and after watching the videos on their YouTube channel this morning this was pretty much an insta-buy for me (the EQ 2 upgrade pricing just made it all the sweeter).

It seems to be massive step up on the previous version to me with the dynamic processing options and grouping feature, I can definitely see this getting a lot of use on my projects alongside Gullfoss.

If I have one minor gripe (and it is really minor) it would be the same one as in EQ 2... all the provided factory presets seem to geared exclusively towards pop / rock music (as if nothing else exists), it would be nice to see some examples for orchestral sections or solo instruments as well (I mostly write film scores) :)
I had the exact same thoughts when I loaded Smart EQ 3 and looked for the presets. I would have hoped they would have included some since their initial Smart EQ 1 release, but no. Maybe in an update or next release? Will keep using Universal and tweak it for now

Not seen this mentioned on the forum as of yet. : https://www.sonible.com/developing-smarteq3/

Hold off buying other AI EQs for the time being. I urge you to try this one out when it drops on the 5th. Was sent a copy to test prior to release and it's definitely worth the wait. There's some VERY useful tech under the hood. Unfortunately, that's all one can say for the time being...
Really sad to find my Sonible account empty after purchasing Frei:raum, SmartEQLive, SmartEQ2, and Smart Comp. So I can't even take advantage of the upgrade until it's sorted out. Thank you Sonible.

I understand if they change systems, but why does the customer always have to go through the hassle of contact, searching for emails that prove the purchase, just to correct a lack of migration of information? And what happens if I can't find the emails? I'm out of luck?

I have to admit, I never worry if Fabfilter or SoundToys suddenly dump all my products out of my account, it would be a nightmare. At least they keep me updated. I've searched through my sonible emails, can't find one about this new account or migrating my products, and I've made 4 major purchases. Not a good sign.

I'm beginning to think the risk with these smaller companies is these kinds of basic mistakes that quickly get you disconnected and unable to upgrade. It's bad enough they don't do any updates on their products, like iZotope they just add a few things at a time then every year announce a "whole new product!" with a number incriment... really... The difference between RX4,RX5, RX6,and RX7 was not that great, yet here I am at RX8 because I work in film (oh, there's an RX9... great.)

I expect SmartEQ9 to be out soon and by the time it is, it will be a $300 upgrade (over the many small upgrades) from Smart EQ2... what a deal! Unfortunately I constantly use Fabfilter Q3 for the dynamic EQ functions, so I'm still interested in this... :shocked:

Really sad to find my Sonible account empty after purchasing Frei:raum, SmartEQLive, SmartEQ2, and Smart Comp. So I can't even take advantage of the upgrade until it's sorted out. Thank you Sonible.

I understand if they change systems, but why does the customer always have to go through the hassle of contact, searching for emails that prove the purchase, just to correct a lack of migration of information? And what happens if I can't find the emails? I'm out of luck?

I have to admit, I never worry if Fabfilter or SoundToys suddenly dump all my products out of my account, it would be a nightmare. At least they keep me updated. I've searched through my sonible emails, can't find one about this new account or migrating my products, and I've made 4 major purchases. Not a good sign.

I'm beginning to think the risk with these smaller companies is these kinds of basic mistakes that quickly get you disconnected and unable to upgrade. It's bad enough they don't do any updates on their products, like iZotope they just add a few things at a time then every year announce a "whole new product!" with a number incriment... really... The difference between RX4,RX5, RX6,and RX7 was not that great, yet here I am at RX8 because I work in film (oh, there's an RX9... great.)

I expect SmartEQ9 to be out soon and by the time it is, it will be a $300 upgrade (over the many small upgrades) from Smart EQ2... what a deal! Unfortunately I constantly use Fabfilter Q3 for the dynamic EQ functions, so I'm still interested in this... :shocked:
You sound like a prime candidate for Izotope’s exciting new PRO subscription. :roflmao:

Upgraded this afternoon and it's amazing !

The only thing I'm missing now is the ability to set a custom configuration of the GUI for each instance - it's a bit boring to enlarge the window and engage the spectrum analyzer every ****ing time I open an instance :P

Excellent upgrade.

Upgraded this afternoon and it's amazing !

The only thing I'm missing now is the ability to set a custom configuration of the GUI for each instance - it's a bit boring to enlarge the window and engage the spectrum analyzer every ****ing time I open an instance :P

Excellent upgrade.

Good suggestion!

I can forward them suggestions.

So far :

* more profiles. Although you may be able to import the SmartEQ2 profiles. Noticed an import feature in the settings... Not tried though.

* Autogain for attenuating the output to match the original.

quick question : i have frei:raum, there is a smart EQ in it, is it the same one and will it be updated or are these two not connected at all? thank you

Good suggestion!

I can forward them suggestions.

So far :

* more profiles. Although you may be able to import the SmartEQ2 profiles. Noticed an import feature in the settings... Not tried though.

* Autogain for attenuating the output to match the original.
Ability to have the analyzer on by default would be nice.

quick question : i have frei:raum, there is a smart EQ in it, is it the same one and will it be updated or are these two not connected at all? thank you
Since they are no longer developing frei:raum, that i owned, they offered me SmartEQ2 for free (Frei:Raum was crashing Cubase and i had sent a support ticket)
Talk to them...
Great customer support!

Last edited:

I noticed this after Sonible updated their website several months ago,I emailed them and it was quickly sorted out.

You can get the upgrade at JRR for $24.36 with code GROUP
Nice, thanks for that tip. Purchased and license key registered on my Sonible account without hassle.

I actually learned about the existence of the new version from this thread, as I simply had to unsubscribe from the Sonible mailing list after I bought smart:EQ2 last year due to the sheer volume of email they were sending out.

For those who have got it, if you haven't checked, you can also put it in linear phase mode via the settings cog.

Top Bottom