What's new

Something New From Spectrasonics!!

Omnisphere Extension Undercurrent $149 v Soundpaint Hybrid Emotions $50.

Oh my goodness!
The thing is, I can work out exactly what I'm getting and how I can use it with undercurrent, but I still have no idea how much useable content I get with hybrid emotions.

Spectra sonics is a pretty weird company. Always awesome results but every step they take seems almost completely illogical.
And it started with that logo....or should I say a lack of modernization to that ugly thing lol...

Can these new SonicExtensions libraries be edited more deeply in Omnisphere ? or they are restricted to what their front panel GUI offers in terms of editing ?

I briefly checked Undercurrent, and it sounds very good, and useful.

Thanks.

Can these new SonicExtensions libraries be edited more deeply in Omnisphere ? or they are restricted to what their front panel GUI offers in terms of editing ?

I briefly checked Undercurrent, and it sounds very good, and useful.

Thanks.
Good to see ! Undercurrent main choice here, yet thought there were early dings posted?
As always .... truly prefer Trials, or at least LITE versions, for auditioning on Home Studio systems(s).

Which SonicExtension do you feel is the most useful to get ?

I haven't checked the Nylon Guitar, or the other one. But I did check Undercurrent, and like what it can deliver, and find it would be very useful.

Thanks.

From watching the videos, it seems that Undercurrent is aimed at composers doing underscore. While any of the other three titles could be used by composers, I think that Undercurrent is the only one specifically targeted at us.

Of course each of the four expansions adds new effects that we could find useful, so that’s worth considering as well.

Best,

Geoff

From watching the videos, it seems that Undercurrent is aimed at composers doing underscore. While any of the other three titles could be used by composers, I think that Undercurrent is the only one specifically targeted at us.

Of course each of the four expansions adds new effects that we could find useful, so that’s worth considering as well.

Best,

Geoff

I agree, Undercurrent is appealing to me.

Which SonicExtension do you feel is the most useful to get ?

I haven't checked the Nylon Guitar, or the other one. But I did check Undercurrent, and like what it can deliver, and find it would be very useful.

Thanks.
Usefulness will ultimately come down to whatever one is producing.

Personally, I like Nylon Sky the best, but whether it will be more useful to someone than say Undercurrent will entirely depend on the type of music they are making.

FWIW, I do find Undercurrent to be the most "samey" in terms of the types of sounds it contains relative to the stock Omnisphere library and/or other similar libraries. Whereas Nylon Sky at least has a deep sampled guitar that when combined with Omnisphere's synthesis capabilities produces more interesting sounds to my ears.

But this is very much a YMMV situation.

Helps to see this perspective while sorting purchase options. Cool to have these choices price-stable _ thus ample time to decide. THX !

Usefulness will ultimately come down to whatever one is producing.

Personally, I like Nylon Sky the best, but whether it will be more useful to someone than say Undercurrent will entirely depend on the type of music they are making.

FWIW, I do find Undercurrent to be the most "samey" in terms of the types of sounds it contains relative to the stock Omnisphere library and/or other similar libraries. Whereas Nylon Sky at least has a deep sampled guitar that when combined with Omnisphere's synthesis capabilities produces more interesting sounds to my ears.

But this is very much a YMMV situation.
I decided to go ahead, and get the Undercurrent extension.

I spent around an hour with it, and I agree, the presets are kind of samy, not much variation, but I found out that if I mix some of the new waveforms from Undercurrent, with the more traditional sounds, even basic synth waveforms, with the right programming, FX, ..etc. you can create some very rich, and musical sounds, it takes some time digging into the programming.

The Underscore Presets are fine, for underscore fx, or atmospherics, but honestly, I was not super satisfied with the presets, but once I began to dive into getting creative with programming, the potential of blending these new Undercurrent waveforms with the core content of Omnisphere can be very rewarding.

I didn't like the Guitar Expansion, I just got a great sounding Nylon Guitar library for $49. , I also had no interest in their other extension, can't recall the name, but I'm satisfied to a degree with Undercurrent expansion. I just wish it had a bit more variety in its core sounds.

Last edited:
Quite honestly, I could have done without buying Undercurrent Extension. Given it's also not cheap at $149.

I could design my own undercurrent type sounds using my other VST Synths. no samples needed.

But at the end of the day, it's another tool I can use if I feel like it.

Hi,

OK, I spent a little more time using the new Undercurrent Extension, given I don't use Omnisphere that much these days, well.. I switched to Stack Mode, and that's when I began really hearing the magic, layering is the key here. imho. Creating custom Stacked instruments is where Omnisphere shines. WOW !

I started with 2 stacked instruments, each instrument can have up to four layers, so you can start tweaking the hell out of these two instruments in the Stack, change the source sample, synthesis, envelopes, effects, modulations, then proceed by adding a third instrument to the stack, and even limit it to be triggered at i.e higher velocity values, ..etc The creative options are endless, that's how I would work with Omnisphere.

You can limit the note range of a stacked inst. , velocity range it will play at, or even trigger stacks via CC# value. Programming the Modulations carefully, and creatively can make a huge difference as well to add motion, and perform in a musically expressive manner.

Cheers,
Muziksculp

Hi,

I'm experiencing very high CPU usage by Omnisphere. Anyone running into this issue ?

I tested both the VST2, and VST3 versions, and both are CPU Hogs, Not good.

I don't know if it has support for multi-cores, but it surely is not efficient on my system.

Could I be missing to enable/change a setting to improve this ?

Thanks.

If you're using the Granular engine or a certain FX module (forgotten what it's called - the one that changes character and ambience using what sounds like IR's), then that's probably why I reckon.

Should be fine otherwise.

Top Bottom