What's new

Something is Coming - Spitfire Thunderbolt

Tempted by Alt SoloStrings. The sound was wonderful in the demo's but the legato's.... kinda gave me pause. Any experiences/opinions?

Tempted by Alt SoloStrings. The sound was wonderful in the demo's but the legato's.... kinda gave me pause. Any experiences/opinions?
I have the cello and the violin. Nice longs and shorts. Dry, gritty and textural. The legatos are very unappealing to me. Not very playable. The vibrato comes out of nowhere and is immediately full tilt. Pretty manic sounding. I have the same, but to a lesser extent, issue with the vibratos in their solo strings. I do like solo strings very much, but I wish the vibrato wasn't so immediate and intense.

Like I said, the shorts and longs are nice in Alt. If your looking for some dryer, grittier tones for texture and layering, you might like them, but it's not a comprehensive solo library IMO.

Thanks for the responses everyone!
Had a feeling the Pro version would be the best bet but don’t have a spare 200GB at the moment so I think I’ll wait it out for now. :thumbsup:
Listening to the walkthroughs and videos you sent and the extra mics seem to make all the difference for the more intimate sound I was looking for.

Hmmm might opt for Chamber Strings since the price difference isn't too far off from Studio Pro whenever its on sale next time.
.......ok I caved and went for the core version of Studio Strings and I'm honestly very happy with it, especially loving the sordinos

Turns out a dry sound is exactly what I've been looking for for quite some time but didn't entirely realize / know what I was looking for until now.

Picked up Tundra too and I can see these working really well together

Okay random question. I've seen videos of people using Spitfire Chamber strings for 70's disco sounding strings, but I don't think I can justify that big of a purchase. I see Spitfire Studio Strings also has falls too though. Anyone use them for a retro disco feel? Are the Studio Strings worth it?

Now I've bought Chamber Strings because it seems like a solid string library. Still, I have the feeling that I'm starting to collect what I don't really want.
I know that feeling, but just load up the ensemble patch and play through the shorts. They're just exceptional. I find many uses just for that patch.

I know that feeling, but just load up the ensemble patch and play through the shorts. They're just exceptional. I find many uses just for that patch.
The ensembles have also been the reason to invest in Chamber Strings.

I was able to test it out last night. Great!

In the first comparison, I find the individual instruments in the BBCO Pro more full of character, but I haven't completely figured out CS yet.

Unfortunately, there are no ensembles in the BBCO Pro, so I had already got involved with AR1. The ensemble is great, but it's the entire orchestra.

The boys and girls from Spitfire are very adept at presenting and selling their good but also high-priced products.

Top Bottom