What's new

Softube Console 1 Channel & Fader Mk III Announced

Softube announces new updated Mk III variants of their Console 1 system. Some nice new additions and USB-C powered. Rack/VESA mountable. New high resolution screens. Quite a bit more details on their site:

Slated for release "this Fall" and Thomann Music shows in stock 4-5 weeks. So likely a release of late October.

Interested to see the improvements made on the Fader model 🧐

Thoughts?

1695756418115.png
1695756761945.png

That looks very nice. I have had a plan for a long time to test one out. I think it would go nicely with UAD.
Any happy UAD and console 1 users out there?

That looks very nice. I have had a plan for a long time to test one out. I think it would go nicely with UAD.
Any happy UAD and console 1 users out there?
I use both and works like a charm.

The MKIII looks very interesting, I think many of the new features will help reduce the things that I still needed to do in DAW mixer. It does look like it might be pricier than current generation though..

Might need to upgrade from my MK1. I think they finally added LCDs to the Fader which would make it a real competitor to Avid's Artist Mix (better than Faderports because it doesn't have to rely on MCU).

Received an email from Softube pledging support and firmware/software upgrades for current mk1 & mkII owners, which was pleasing.

So the fact that it has eq and compressor just means it can control/assign the eq that is on the DAW channel strip?

Last edited:
Okay, so if I say that

* you're basically replacing the Logic channelstrip with Softubes version, and load supported plugins in SoftCube console
* I can use Logic stock channel strip without the Softube channelstrip, with some basic DAW control intact
* Support for other plugins, using the Logic channel strips, is there but limited

I wouldn't be completely off?

You can still use whatever you want to in Logic but you don't have hands on control over other plugins, just the Softube compressor, eq etc. Console 1 & fader have assignable buttons/knobs that allow you to control DAW features i.e. Pan, playback, faders etc.

No it is a controller not a computer. The plugins are run in your DAW on your computer.
I have a possibly dumb question, but I need to ask: the software that runs via Console 1 is just regular Softube plugins, no? Or to ask another way: will regular Softube plugs one already owns be controllable with Console 1? Or do you have to use special Console 1 versions? I own quite a few of their plugs already, so those plus the ones they bundle with Console 1 will number quite a few and make the price easier to swallow. Will get Fader as well when it comes out, depending on price. TIA

I have a possibly dumb question, but I need to ask: the software that runs via Console 1 is just regular Softube plugins, no? Or to ask another way: will regular Softube plugs one already owns be controllable with Console 1? Or do you have to use special Console 1 versions? I own quite a few of their plugs already, so those plus the ones they bundle with Console 1 will number quite a few and make the price easier to swallow. Will get Fader as well when it comes out, depending on price. TIA
Not a dumb question since the answer is both…and a bit! Softube offers Console 1 channel strips which are built specifically with C1 control in mind. However they also allow many / all of their plugins to be loaded up into appropriate sections of the channel strip. For example, loading up their TubeTech EQ into the EQ section. Going even further, they’ve partnered with Universal Audio and a lot (but not all) of UAD plugins are also supported in a similar fashion so I can load the UA 1176 into the compressor section in my Console 1 channel strip and control it from the hardware. Now, the caveat is that you will only be able to access and control a subset of parameters for these plugins when used in this way (since the hardware has a limitation on the knobs it has and what it can map to). But still a nice way to get away from relying on the mouse all the time.

It arrived yesterday but only got an hour for a first impression, which is: very good! Terrific build quality, great and very useful - or so it seems, for now - screens. Transition from the mk2 went flawlessly. I also noticed the lgb lighting in the track select leds shows more colors than it did on the old fader, where for instance red and pink in the daw translated to red on the fader. Now the colors really match those in the DAW (Studio One 6). Will be the weekend before I will get some real time with this beautiful thing. Will report back afterwards.

Top Bottom