What's new

Serious cubase crash because of kernelbase.dll

Fever Phoenix

I do things.
Hey everyone,

I am finding myself in a terrible situation today. For years I have been working with Cubase, always on the latest version, but I have never encountered such a weird problem. I can not open my current project, which is the latest episode of the show I work for, and the deadline is pressing..

While loading the project Cubase crashes and vanishes from the Desktop. When I restart the program I get the information that the program has crashed because of an error with the kernelbase.dll. If the problem keeps ocurring I should send crash dump to Steinberg support which I of course did.

Meanwhile Google and YT suggested all kind of tipps and tricks that did not work yet. I can open the project when deactivating all third party plug-ins. But that doesn't really help me. When I save it under another name and load it with all instances I get the same loading error again. I ve been sitting here for hours trying to find a solution, answer from Steinberg support might come in days, who knows.. Gathering from STeinberg forums it is most likely a problem with Kontakt, but it is weird that I can still open other projects that use Kontakt. I use templates with 50 - 90 instances of Kontakt on a regualr basis. I have updated all drivers, did scans, registry clean ups. I can still load all other projects. I am on Windows 10 and the latest Cubase 12.

So, maybe, someone know something here or had a similar problem? Thankful for any help,

best,

Raoul

Attachments

• Screenshot (26).png
    Screenshot (26).png
    53.6 KB · Views: 47
Just to clarify, it’s only one project file that’s not opening? Or all project files?

Hey everyone,

I am finding myself in a terrible situation today. For years I have been working with Cubase, always on the latest version, but I have never encountered such a weird problem. I can not open my current project, which is the latest episode of the show I work for, and the deadline is pressing..

While loading the project Cubase crashes and vanishes from the Desktop. When I restart the program I get the information that the program has crashed because of an error with the kernelbase.dll. If the problem keeps ocurring I should send crash dump to Steinberg support which I of course did.

Meanwhile Google and YT suggested all kind of tipps and tricks that did not work yet. I can open the project when deactivating all third party plug-ins. But that doesn't really help me. When I save it under another name and load it with all instances I get the same loading error again. I ve been sitting here for hours trying to find a solution, answer from Steinberg support might come in days, who knows.. Gathering from STeinberg forums it is most likely a problem with Kontakt, but it is weird that I can still open other projects that use Kontakt. I use templates with 50 - 90 instances of Kontakt on a regualr basis. I have updated all drivers, did scans, registry clean ups. I can still load all other projects. I am on Windows 10 and the latest Cubase 12.

So, maybe, someone know something here or had a similar problem? Thankful for any help,

best,

Raoul
Hi Raoul,

I have the exact same problem. I also searched the web and haven't found much about people having the same issue. Well, welcome to the club.

In my case the problem with 2 specific libraries. I'll write them to you via PM because I think it's a system problem rather than directly related to these libraries, especially since almost noone else has that problem. Will be interesting to see which library (if any) is the issue in your case.

The way I resolve this issue is - I close observe the loading process. Generally you can see which track in your project is currently loading. Read all the names that fly by when loading the project TILL it crashes. It's either exactly this track or a track somewhere next to it.

Now you'll need Cubase 9.5 unfortunately. It can be downloaded from the Steinberg Download Manager. There is no need to do anything other than install the program. The project doesn't have to be loaded in 9.5, so no need for it to find all the plugins etc.
In Cubase 9.5 it's possible to edit a disabled project. In later versions it's still somewhat possible, but some crucial functions are gone. Such as - disabling tracks!
Here is a guide. Your situation is exactly why I came up with that solution.

While doing the steps in my video you'd disable the track you've seen loading while the project is crashing and a couple around it to be sure. If you couldn't tell which track was loading before Cubase is crashing or it's still crashing after you've disabled it and the surrounding ones you could also disable all tracks at once.
Save it under a new name.
Then you'd try loading the project in your main Cubase version and re-enable the tracks.
If your issue is the same as mine you'll definitely be able to tell which track caused the issue.
In that case you'd do the Cubase 9.5 trick again and remove that track. That should solve the issue.
But make note of which library was loaded in that track!

Before doing any of that you could also try opening an empty project before opening your project. According to this video it can help too.

I didn't try that yet and just used my method, especially to be able to identify the actual issue. So I think it's still better to do it the fuzzy way. You better know what causes this!

You could also try yet another way and import all the tracks from your crashing project ONE BY ONE into a new project till you hit the one that causes the crash.
I just like doing it in Cubase 9.5 since I have issues like that quite often, so it's quicker for me that way. In your case it might be better to take the track-import route, then you don't have to install Cubase 9.5.

Of course all that is just from my experience. The behavior might be different in your case. Let me know how it goes. I have huge experience with crashes and other weird stuff so I might know something in any case haha...

PS: I actually did a system reset because of that and... the issue persists throughout the reset!!! Entirely new install of windows, even the system drive I wiped out 100%. Although I only tested projects which had the issue before the reset. Maybe it won't happen again in new projects created after the reset.

Last edited:
I had very annoying Cubase crashes and narrowed it down to another program. It was GPU Tweak, a fan control that came with my GPU. Anyways, its possible it could be something like that for you. As soon as i uninstalled it, no more crashes.

Crazy.. thanks for your answers, @davidnaroth and @Lionel Schmitt !

I seem to have found the solution or at least a way around for now. In my case it was NI Straylight on Kontakt 6 that crashed Cubase, or let's say now that I have deleted the track using Straylight, I can load the project again and work on it.

Will send the crash dump file to NI. Steinberg support wrote back today, telling me to write to NI instruments about it, as Kontakt seems to be responsable for the crash.

@EvilDragon maybe you can have a look at the crash dump file when you have a free minute? or maybe you know something about this error?

In any case I will conntact NI through official support. For now I am very happy that I can access the project again.

Since that's a system DLL causing the fuss, it could very well be crashing due to unstable code in some add-on that Cubase is using, causing Cubase to take a tumble (I have a screenshot below for later explanation). You can send the crash report in, but here's where you can look and hopefully see exactly what's crashing your world:
  • Recreate the crash. That will write new entries to the Windows Event Viewer and therefore easy to find. As soon as you do, then:
    • Right-Click your This PC icon and choose Manage
    • The Computer Management app will fire up (alternate way: Click Start and type Computer Management, and before you even finish, you'll see the app icon to open it)
    • Screenshot is below of what should open; here's what to do next:
      • In the left panel, twirl open Event Viewer
      • Then twirl open Windows Logs
      • Then click on Application
      • Give it time to load the log list (takes a while), then start scrolling down until you see the red error that has the data for your crash.
      • Click on the error and USUALLY it will tell you the faulty Module
    • If that works, you'll know what plugin or other thing is crashing, and you can remove it.
In the event that it's actually Cubase.exe, then it's probably a new version of kernalbase.dll that got pushed down in a Windows Update. In that case, I would open the Steinberg app and tell it to reinstall Cubase. Then make sure you reboot, NOT Shutdown and powering back on, because Windows leaves things in memory when you shut down. Restart is what clears the barn and starts fresh.

Here's a screenshot of the Computer Management app with green dots where you twirl/click/select, etc. Notice is says SharePoint on my PC crashed, BUT, the faulty module was actually ucrtbase.dll which is some needed file in my Microsoft Development software, not directly related to SharePoint, but this DLL crashed it. This is my gut on what's happening on your machine, just with Cubase.exe and whatever stinkbomb is crashing it:

error.jpg

Last edited:
Since that's a system DLL causing the fuss, it could very well be crashing due to unstable code in some add-on that Cubase is using, causing Cubase to take a tumble (I have a screenshot below for later explanation). You can send the crash report in, but here's where you can look and hopefully see exactly what's crashing your world:
  • Recreate the crash. That will write new entries to the Windows Event Viewer and therefore easy to find. As soon as you do, then:
    • The Computer Management app will fire up (alternate way: Click Start and type Computer Management, and before you even finish, you'll see the app icon to open it)
      • Give it time to load the log list (takes a while), then start scrolling down until you see the red error that has the data for your crash.
    • If that works, you'll know what plugin or other thing is crashing, and you can remove it.
In the event that it's actually Cubase.exe, then it's probably a new version of kernalbase.dll that got pushed down in a Windows Update. In that case, I would open the Steinberg app and tell it to reinstall Cubase. Then make sure you reboot, NOT Shutdown and powering back on, because Windows leaves things in memory when you shut down. Restart is what clears the barn and starts fresh.

Here's a screenshot of the Computer Management app with green dots where you twirl/click/select, etc. Notice is says SharePoint on my PC crashed, BUT, the faulty module was actually ucrtbase.dll which is some needed file in my Microsoft Development software, not directly related to SharePoint, but this DLL crashed it. This is my gut on what's happening on your machine, just with Cubase.exe and whatever stinkbomb is crashing it:

error.jpg
Allright, thank you for the suggestion in detail!

Right now I am just happy Cubase is up and running and I have to finish the job before the end of the deadline.. Will definitely have to look into it and identify the source of the problem.

Thank you!

error.jpg
Hi, many thanks for the instructions.

It's very weird the faulty module is exactly the one in your screenshot, even though Cubase itself mentions Kernelbase while starting.

Makes me worried that it's just some generic result if the logger can't really tell what the problem was...
Now I shall do some research on that module!

Hi, many thanks for the instructions.

It's very weird the faulty module is exactly the one in your screenshot, even though Cubase itself mentions Kernelbase while starting.

Makes me worried that it's just some generic result if the logger can't really tell what the problem was...
Now I shall do some research on that module!
Well, that's a BIT of progress. the file is part of the C++ codebase which is probably the most common language used with audio stuff... I see the codebase get installed over and over again when I install or update software, whether it's iLok Manager or a player for a library. It's possible that Cubase is referencing a newer version of this file but another installer popped in an older version. One way to rectify that is a totally reinstall of Cubase, which MAY work, certainly can't hurt. if that doesn't work, then it may be a player or other add-on that also uses that file under the hood and it's crashing, causing Cubase to react and basically take the blame in the Event Log. I'd try a Cubase reinstall and see how that works. Again, make sure you Restart after the install so that DLL can get loaded into memory.

Let me know!

Well, that's a BIT of progress. the file is part of the C++ codebase which is probably the most common language used with audio stuff... I see the codebase get installed over and over again when I install or update software, whether it's iLok Manager or a player for a library. It's possible that Cubase is referencing a newer version of this file but another installer popped in an older version. One way to rectify that is a totally reinstall of Cubase, which MAY work, certainly can't hurt. if that doesn't work, then it may be a player or other add-on that also uses that file under the hood and it's crashing, causing Cubase to react and basically take the blame in the Event Log. I'd try a Cubase reinstall and see how that works. Again, make sure you Restart after the install so that DLL can get loaded into memory.

Let me know!
Thanks for the info!

I actually even did a system reset since I got worried about core parts of the system (Kernelbase) being corrupted. Partially because I was also unable to complete any of the fixes flying around in the web to resolve Kernelbase issues.

So, I guess I could reinstall Cubase yet again... (noteworthy that it happens in both Cubase 11 and 12 and (I think.....) 9.5.
A complete system reset with a cleaned drive + reinstall is probably a bit more than a reinstall. :shocked:
So I'm probably gonna leave things alone now.
I also don't know if it still happens in NEWLY created projects made after the reset. I only keep trying a project I kept for troubleshooting made before the reset.
I might load the libraries that trigger the issue without the intend to keep them in the project (in case I have to delete the track to save the project) to see if I still get the issue. Hard to replicate since it's pretty random.

Thanks for the info!

I actually even did a system reset since I got worried about core parts of the system (Kernelbase) being corrupted. Partially because I was also unable to complete any of the fixes flying around in the web to resolve Kernelbase issues.

So, I guess I could reinstall Cubase yet again... (noteworthy that it happens in both Cubase 11 and 12 and (I think.....) 9.5.
A complete system reset with a cleaned drive + reinstall is probably a bit more than a reinstall. :shocked:
So I'm probably gonna leave things alone now.
I also don't know if it still happens in NEWLY created projects made after the reset. I only keep trying a project I kept for troubleshooting made before the reset.
I might load the libraries that trigger the issue without the intend to keep them in the project (in case I have to delete the track to save the project) to see if I still get the issue. Hard to replicate since it's pretty random.
Maybe it's due to running multiple versions for all we know. UGH, totally reinstall, there's weekend project, sun up to sundown!

One thing you can do easily, maybe you have, is left System File Checker verify/fix your Windows installation. If you haven't, here's how (if you know this already, ,bear with me, lol!):
  • Right click your Start button and on the popup menu, about halfway up, select the command prompt with Admin Privileges. The app will either be listed as Command, Powershell or Windows Terminal, depending on what flavor of Windows you have
  • When the dated but wonderful command-line window pops up, just type this and hit enter:
    • sfc /scannow
It'll start the scan, just takes a few minutes. It will either say things are OK or that it found a few issues and repaired them. If that, you'll also get a path to the log showing what it fixed, if you feel like looking at that.

Then you can do one further step, a command I forgot about but was posted by @Ed Wine, and that is to run this at the same command prompt:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

If an issue is detected then run this:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

At that point, you should have a clean stable Windows environment without having to reimage. Sometimes there are references in the Registry or program data files that just get borked beyond help, and then, yeah, reimage time. But at least the above three can be run without any damage. It'd be great if that worked!

Maybe it's due to running multiple versions for all we know. UGH, totally reinstall, there's weekend project, sun up to sundown!

One thing you can do easily, maybe you have, is left System File Checker verify/fix your Windows installation. If you haven't, here's how (if you know this already, ,bear with me, lol!):
  • Right click your Start button and on the popup menu, about halfway up, select the command prompt with Admin Privileges. The app will either be listed as Command, Powershell or Windows Terminal, depending on what flavor of Windows you have
  • When the dated but wonderful command-line window pops up, just type this and hit enter:
    • sfc /scannow
It'll start the scan, just takes a few minutes. It will either say things are OK or that it found a few issues and repaired them. If that, you'll also get a path to the log showing what it fixed, if you feel like looking at that.

Then you can do one further step, a command I forgot about but was posted by @Ed Wine, and that is to run this at the same command prompt:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

If an issue is detected then run this:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

At that point, you should have a clean stable Windows environment without having to reimage. Sometimes there are references in the Registry or program data files that just get borked beyond help, and then, yeah, reimage time. But at least the above three can be run without any damage. It'd be great if that worked!
I'll try re-installing it and stick with one version to see if it helps.

The scan commands (both) I already tried. Scannow found some things to repair but not my issue haha...

thanks anyway!

best,
Lionel

Hey everyone,

best,

Raoul

TO ALL ON THIS THREAD:

We are having the same problem here at Sausalito Sound. We've just upgraded to a new Gen 13 Intel PC running 128 gigs memory and Windows 10 Pro and have started to export our MIDI files on projects to prevent a total loss of work.

For us, It seems to be happening with the Audiobro LASS 3 and MSS libraries which use Kontakt ( we're still on Kontakt 6 ). I thought initially it had to do with Steinberg's advisory posting regarding issues with the newer 12th and 13th gen Intel chips . Now I'm not sure what's causing the crashes.

Is anyone having these issues with Windows 11??

Please post anything that will solve this frustrating issue for all of and I will monitor this thread carefully. Thanks for posting this!

Audiobro LASS 3.....Kontakt 6
My experience is that it is a completely poisonous combination. I wasted four hours of work (not to mention half a day earlier building custom patches and expression maps with channel settings and all) due to a complete destruction of a project using LASS3, ending up in a situation where even just trying to import any tracks from that corrupted Cubase project crashed the whole program instantly.

I googled a bit and asked for advice from this forum as well but I've decided to hold back from using LASS3 for now for anything than just out-of-the-box single tracks if even that. (My previous project was completely customized patches which may or may have not affected the issue) It may be that Kontakt 7 solves the issue or not. Maybe you should try that out? The free Player version should be downloadable from the NI website.

TO ALL ON THIS THREAD:

We are having the same problem here at Sausalito Sound. We've just upgraded to a new Gen 13 Intel PC running 128 gigs memory and Windows 10 Pro and have started to export our MIDI files on projects to prevent a total loss of work.

For us, It seems to be happening with the Audiobro LASS 3 and MSS libraries which use Kontakt ( we're still on Kontakt 6 ). I thought initially it had to do with Steinberg's advisory posting regarding issues with the newer 12th and 13th gen Intel chips . Now I'm not sure what's causing the crashes.

Is anyone having these issues with Windows 11??

Please post anything that will solve this frustrating issue for all of and I will monitor this thread carefully. Thanks for posting this!
That's very interesting. In my case it happened with Modern Scoring Strings Expanded Legato and Sonokinetic Sordino Strings.
So we have 2 accounts of Audiobro libraries at least. However in the case of the OP it was Straylight by NI...
So far I don't know what could solve it. I still get the same issue on a new machine!!
I kept a test-project where it happens. The crash survived 2 complete resets of my previous machine and even happens now on my new machine by a different vendor with different specifications (about as powerful as it gets) with new internal drives etc.
I think I tried opening that test-project just a few days after receiving the computer, so it can hardly be any system junk/corruption.

It hasn't happened in any new project I started on the new machine yet, but I also barely used the libraries at all. It happened very randomly on the old machine so I'd have to use it quite a lot to see if it happens, but I don't have projects that would require using them.

The test project was made on the old machine, so perhaps the problem is "written into the project file" somehow. At least it's unlikely to be system dependant. I thought about sending someone else the project with just the affected MSS track to see if it happens, maybe I'll do it eventually.

Last edited:
That's very interesting. In my case it happened with Modern Scoring Strings Expanded Legato and Sonokinetic Sordino Strings.
So we have 2 accounts of Audiobro libraries at least. However in the case of the OP it was Straylight by NI...
So far I don't know what could solve it. I still get the same issue on a new machine!!
I kept a test-project where it happens. The crash survived 2 complete resets of my previous machine and even happens now on my new machine by a different vendor with different specifications (about as powerful as it gets) with new internal drives etc.
I think I tried opening that test-project just a few days after receiving the computer, so it can hardly be any system junk/corruption.

It hasn't happened in any new project I started on the new machine yet, but I also barely used the libraries at all. It happened very randomly on the old machine so I'd have to use it quite a lot to see if it happens, but I don't have projects that would require using them.

The test project was made on the old machine, so perhaps the problem is "written into the project file" somehow. At least it's unlikely to be system dependant. I thought about sending someone else the project with just the affected MSS track to see if it happens, maybe I'll do it eventually.
Lionel:
Thank you so much for posting back. We will continue to do more testing with Audiobro since we use almost all of their products and have taken the time to master them. We'll continue to test with all versions of Kontakt. I know when using our Intel Mac Mini, the Audiobro libraries would use a lot of resources when running OS X which limited the number of tracks and also did cause some freezes.
We also use RME Internal PCie cards or Fireface USB on all our machines for their superior drivers and low latency to insure smooth operations.

Are you using Windows 11 on your new machine?

Three accounts, actually: Mark, Lionel and yours truly. So if you ask me, the possibility of a mere coincidence is starting to diminish.

Top Bottom