What's new

Roland Fantom EX Upgrade!

You should be able to do a factory reset from the System Menu, if/when you get the thing to boot.

When you do get into the keyboard, does it play sounds and operate normally ?

is there any chance you have any ‘sticky buttons’ on the Fantom which could be causing the boot sequence to misbehave.

I’ve worked with Roland for over 30 years on the other side of their business, and I’ve had machines that boot into firmware update mode every time due to a sticky key…..

If you are following the ed Diaz video to the letter then it should work…..

best of luck.

You should be able to do a factory reset from the System Menu, if/when you get the thing to boot.

When you do get into the keyboard, does it play sounds and operate normally ?
Yes, it did. I just can't get back in there now!

is there any chance you have any ‘sticky buttons’ on the Fantom which could be causing the boot sequence to misbehave.
I haven't noticed any to date but I can't rule anything out.
I’ve worked with Roland for over 30 years on the other side of their business, and I’ve had machines that boot into firmware update mode every time due to a sticky key…..

If you are following the ed Diaz video to the letter then it should work…..

best of luck.
Thanks for your suggestions/help. I've just posted on the FB page you suggested.

It looks like this is sorted now. For anyone else who may come across this issue, I've managed to perform a factory reset. This doesn't revert to a previous version of the OS - so it's still running the upgraded EX 1.0, but it's removed the loading bootup cycle loop and allowed me to perform the next step which is to install the expansions.

Finger's crossed that this panic is over. And thanks for your help @Michael Antrum @Scottyb

It looks like this is sorted now. For anyone else who may come across this issue, I've managed to perform a factory reset. This doesn't revert to a previous version of the OS - so it's still running the upgraded EX 1.0, but it's removed the loading bootup cycle loop and allowed me to perform the next step which is to install the expansions.

Finger's crossed that this panic is over. And thanks for your help @Michael Antrum @Scottyb
So very happy to hear this!! Whew! Now you can just enjoy all of the wonderful updates! And they ARE great!! Have fun!

Just tried a second USB stick which I formatted on the Fantom 08 I have here. Unfortunately its still cycling through the same screen. Can I load a previous OS version (eg. 3.0.2)? Failing that, is there anyway of doing a factory OS reset to the original version?
To fix this I had to restart the update using the write button process, once it loads board 1, move the flash drive to ext device 2, then it will proceed, once it is complete and both say end. Reboot normally, the procedure will continue and then you can use the tempo process to complete installing the sound expansions etc.

Roland have dropped a free ACB model expansion today for all those with the EX upgrade.

Please welcome the JX3P expansion for Fantom EX, available on Roland Cloud for the very low price of Free !
Yup! Saw that! And they also officially released the newly badged Fantom EX line that officially come with the upgrade!

I heard from the shop salesman last year that they were going to release this EX as the updated Fantom model. If this is the case, then I think its great that existing Fantom owners get the paid option to upgrade to the EX.

I heard from the shop salesman last year that they were going to release this EX as the updated Fantom model. If this is the case, then I think its great that existing Fantom owners get the paid option to upgrade to the EX.
It's on the website now. The new Fantom EX. Apparently the only difference between this and the old model is the EX printed on the case. Internals are the same.

There may be some licensing differences with the paid for expansions, but I suspect Roland will let those fly......

I'm really pleased because this will almost certainly mean more expansions to come.

I'm dreaming of D50, and ACB versions of the Juno 6/60/106......

Off topic question. I'm thinking of getting a Fantom EX but I have heard of polyphony issues. I also read that those issues were solved in an OS update. Can someone give me real world talk about how polyphony is?

Off topic question. I'm thinking of getting a Fantom EX but I have heard of polyphony issues. I also read that those issues were solved in an OS update. Can someone give me real world talk about how polyphony is?
I can't answer the polyphony question, but I have some questions for you. Are you thinking of getting a new Fantom EX, or buying a discounted Fantom, then buying the EX expansion for it? Also, Fantom 6, 7, or 8?

My backstory: In December, I bought and returned a Fantom 6. I already have a Roland RD-2000 (same PHA-50 piano action keybed as the Fantom 8). I loved the feel of the Fantom 6 keybed (semi-weighted action) and I can't get it out of my head. I ultimately bought a Montage M7, which I also love (including the keybed). But, now I have this bug in my head: should I swap the RD-2000 for a Fantom 7? I have become less interested in piano action due to wrist pain thanks to years of low quality mice.

Top Bottom