What's new

Princess Leia's Theme (John Williams Mockup)

Juulu

I've been working on this on and off since the release of VWinds Flutes and I finally got around to finish it up this today. Let me know what you guys think. Also, if anyone knows a solo violin that's better suited for that end part please let me know. I found Bohemian to be a little awkward to work with on that part (even had me considering getting SWAM violin honestly lol).

Edit# I've updated the track with a few tweaks, including vibrato changes in the flute/oboe, french horn solo dynamics, and brass mic config, and others.

Last edited:
I've been working on this on and off since the release of VWinds Flutes and I finally got around to finish it up this today. Let me know what you guys think. Also, if anyone knows a solo violin that's better suited for that end part please let me know. I found Bohemian to be a little awkward to work with on that part (even had me considering getting SWAM violin honestly lol).

damn I should probably get those winds.

Sounds good!

I like the last part(climax) the most, you manage to make it sound very intense and expressive.
Thanks. Honestly, I was really happy to be able to pull that off with the samples. The expressive feel of the piece is all JW though. The guy is a mastermind. There's a huge wall of divisi in the mid-low strings that makes the sound really full even without the brass and ww.

Great !
Man, we are so blessed with libs nowadays…

I know you’ve been using a lot AV in the past, do you consider switching to VWinds?

I thought the exact opposite. Holy cow, VWinds in an exposed setting..... ouch.

Dunno if they could be programmed to sound better but since I don't like anything I've heard so far, probably not.
I'm actually baffled by this. It has me questioning either my sanity or yours lol. Because I thought the opposite.

Cor Anglais of theirs isn't right in my opinion (tone) but the expressiveness of the others is very palpable in these contexts, and the tone is good enough that in total these beat the daylights out of 99% of what else is out there.

So yes, I'm confused lol

@Juulu great work! What is that horn? And those strings? Nicely mixed too!

I thought the exact opposite. Holy cow, VWinds in an exposed setting..... ouch.

Dunno if they could be programmed to sound better but since I don't like anything I've heard so far, probably not.
the tone always leaves more to be desired but I imagine doing this kind of stuff with normal samples - the more experienced I become the harder it is to accept something even as simple as a crossfade in dynamics.

I'm actually baffled by this. It has me questioning either my sanity or yours lol. Because I thought the opposite.

Cor Anglais of theirs isn't right in my opinion (tone) but the expressiveness of the others is very palpable in these contexts, and the tone is good enough that in total these beat the daylights out of 99% of what else is out there.

So yes, I'm confused lol

Many of the note starts and endings stick out to me and sometimes also the legato. For example the passage from 1:30 to 1:48. And the tone of course, almost forgot. It's "plastic-y" to my ears.

I don't know, I just say how I hear it 🤷‍♂️

Many of the note starts and endings stick out to me and sometimes also the legato. For example the passage from 1:30 to 1:48. And the tone of course, almost forgot. It's "plastic-y" to my ears.

I'm with you here. No offence to @Juulu, the mockup itself is fantastic. But the tone and random weird note transitions had me immediately wondering/concerned about what had happened to the flute player! I've heard a comparison between this flute and the Cinematic Studio flute and it was no contest, the CS flute sounded more like a real concert flute player to my ears (I don't have either library, was just my initial impression). The VWinds flute here sounds a bit... "toyish"?... I think is the best description I can come up with.

I plan to get the flute in the next day or so while it is on sale and plan to do some side by side testing.

I agree that the flute feels funny - you can tell there is something artificial about it.

I'm with you here. No offence to @Juulu, the mockup itself is fantastic. But the tone and random weird note transitions had me immediately wondering/concerned about what had happened to the flute player! I've heard a comparison between this flute and the Cinematic Studio flute and it was no contest, the CS flute sounded more like a real concert flute player to my ears (I don't have either library, was just my initial impression). The VWinds flute here sounds a bit... "toyish"?... I think is the best description I can come up with.
Yes, I noticed that as well: There is an abundance of “flute fx” sounds (note transitions etc.) and they are super loud too.

I don’t have CSW yet but I quickly loaded up the Kontakt-versions of the flutes in BWW Revive and played some “Leia legato” (!) - I have to say I was expecting to become blown away by the sound compared to how VWinds sounds but I wasn’t.

Then I tried the BWW Solo Flute in Kontakt and that sounded better than the Revives.

Yes, I noticed that as well: There is an abundance of “flute fx” sounds (note transitions etc.) and they are super loud too.

I don’t have CSW yet but I quickly loaded up the Kontakt-versions of the flutes in BWW Revive and played some “Leia legato” (!) - I have to say I was expecting to become blown away by the sound compared to how VWinds sounds but I wasn’t.

Then I tried the BWW Solo Flute in Kontakt and that sounded better than the Revives.
What about the Legacy BWW? I didn't download the Revive stuff to save space. How does Legacy compares to Soloists?

Well done, sounds great!
My only thoughts would be to place the woodwinds a bit further in the back so that they merge more with the orchestra - they sound more in front of the strings to me.
And maybe more sparingly and dynamically used vibrato. It sounds very "on" now, but for solo or exposed passages like this, a separate pass for vibrato control should be worth it.

Great !
Man, we are so blessed with libs nowadays…

I know you’ve been using a lot AV in the past, do you consider switching to VWinds?
Only the ww's as I like their tone a bit more. VH brass is hard for me to use in an orchestral context so I usually just use the VH trumpet for a sort of first chair sound or for solo's (like what you hear at the climax).

So yes, I'm confused lol

The horn is Infinite Brass and strings are CSS

Ah, that would be me then and not the instruments. Specifically the flute in the recording sometimes has this clunky or and/or squeaky transitions that I tried to replicate to get as close as possible. I may or may not have gone overboard lol. I was supposed reduce the volume of some of them but it must've slipped my mind before posting. I'll probably edit the track later. Thanks for pointing that out.

Ah, that would be me then and not the instruments. Specifically the flute in the recording sometimes has this clunky or and/or squeaky transitions that I tried to replicate to get as close as possible. I may or may not have gone overboard lol. I was supposed reduce the volume of some of them but it must've slipped my mind before posting. I'll probably edit the track later. Thanks for pointing that out.
I know how it is with mockups, there is just a ton of things to think about and sometimes things slip through.

It's interesting to hear it's the programming and not the instrument.

Top Bottom