What's new

Polovtsian Dances No. 17 (Introduction and Gliding Dance of the Maidens) - Orchestral mock-up

InsomniaEmperor

I felt burn out from doing (or trying to do) too many large scale mock-ups so I decided to scale down to something more bite sized and manageable.

I wanted to do the slow beginning part of Polovtsian Dances No. 17 from Prince Igor because that part sounds gorgeous and it's a good lesson in working the CC11 especially with the strings and the solo woodwinds. Not much variety needed in the way of articulations so I could focus more on the expression shaping.

The challenge here was mixing the woodwinds. I used the VSL VI Woodwinds and I used Berlin Studio as the reverb. Yet somehow it sounds too wet. If I use the Tree mics and/or turn down the tail, it sounds too close. I'm unable to get a similar distance as Berlin Brass French Horns using the Surround mic without the woodwinds sounding too reverberant.

View attachment Polovtsian Dances No. 17 - Beginning.mp3

Sounds nice. The whole thing could be louder. I could use a lot more strings as well, I think the winds and English horn will cut through without a problem. Good job.

Top Bottom