What's new

Plugin to host and control other plugins via external MIDI Controller?

topijokinen

Hi all,

I've been trying to find solution that lets me map my plugins to external controller. I would like my external controller to control the plugin that is currently selected and have the controls conform to the selected plugins in a way that I have mapped them.

I have Logic Pro and there is smart controls, but the problem with those is that they are the same for the whole plugin chain and also if I want to load smart controls, I need to load the whole channel strip. I would just like to load for example Fabfilter Pro-Q3 and my controller would adjust to that. And then I put after that say Black Box HG-2 and when that is selected, my controller would adjust to that.

I have seen this implemented in MP Midi Controller, but would like to have something similar to use with my Korg nanoKONTROL2. The video showcasing MP Midi Controller functionality can be seen below.

Do you know any plugin wrappers or some other solutions that can achieve this? Or do I need to buy the MP Midi Controller? :emoji_grinning:

Here's another implementation with Rocksolid Audio Controllers. I wish to find somethig similar that works with any controller.

You may should wait a little while for this one.
If he does, what is announced by Nektar, it could be interesting for Logic Pro users:

Blue Cats Patchwork?
Actually tried this, but it didn’t work the way I wanted since the controls stay the same for the whole chain. I would like to be able to switch between plugins in the same chain and add new plugins without needing to always remap my macro controls. But its great for what it does so if I would have prefixed chains it would be fine, but I’d like to have a bit more flexibility.

You may should wait a little while for this one.
If he does, what is announced by Nektar, it could be interesting for Logic Pro users:

This looks pretty cool. Of course depends on the price, but if its under 400 euros, I might consider. Otherwise probably would go to MP Midi.

I am not an expert on this type of plugins but I've read somewhere folks suggesting Plogue's Bidule for this type of stuff because of its flexibility to chain and control whatever however you like. I cannot tell if it suits your particular case or if it is overkill what you want to do so you will need to check on your own.

This looks pretty cool. Of course depends on the price, but if its under 400 euros, I might consider. Otherwise probably would go to MP Midi.
You could get a Nektar Impact 25 key for £80 which would give you access to Nektarine

Gives a good overview of how it works

What about Blue Cat remote control?
Would take some setup & require multiple instances or use of presets, but seems doable.

Did you try Unify by Pluginguru?

There are a lot of videos our there explaining the possibilities. It has internal MIDI plugins and you can control multiple VST or AU plugins via global controls.

Top Bottom