What's new

Please roast my HTTYD mockup

Aaannd yet another HTTYD mockup o_O
Took me forever to finish it off between work and kids but would love to get some feedback on this!
This one was done using the Omni Music Publishing score. So cool to be able to see John Powell´s writing in such a detail.
Thanks!

Lovely render, nice listening. Thank you for sharing! I can only imagine how much work and time it costed you.
The only thing that bothers me is the ethnic flute at 1:40, weirdly intimate in contrast to all the rest.

Sounds really good! I think the mockup is really good. Mostly can improve in the mix i think :)

Ethnic strings sounds kinda in the front

Bassoons very loud all of a sudden at around 1:46

Same with harp at 2:56.

So try to improve the depth/placing. (i suck at this too, so i'm one to talk lol)

What choir did you use at the beginning? :)

Sounds pretty good, well done. Wanted to roast but couldn't find any valid reason to do so :grin: I'll just say the violins in the final section are a bit too loud for my taste but I've never listened the original track. Good programming!

Great track. I agree the bassoons stand out too much sometimes.

The part from 0:27 to me sounds different than I remember. Is probably the mixing? It's missing some of the soft relaxed-but-moving-forward tone that the live players seemed to achieve there. Although it's been a while since I heard the original. That said, I think that part specifically is gonna be hard to emulate the live players.

Lovely render, nice listening. Thank you for sharing! I can only imagine how much work and time it costed you.
The only thing that bothers me is the ethnic flute at 1:40, weirdly intimate in contrast to all the rest.
Thanks for listening! Yeah, you can hear them quite well in the original song as well but I think I put them just a tad too loud. Will lower them a bit! Thanks :)

Sounds really good! I think the mockup is really good. Mostly can improve in the mix i think :)

Ethnic strings sounds kinda in the front

Bassoons very loud all of a sudden at around 1:46

Same with harp at 2:56.

So try to improve the depth/placing. (i suck at this too, so i'm one to talk lol)

What choir did you use at the beginning? :)
Bedankt man!
Agree with those points when listening back now. I had the feeling that the bassoons stood out sometimes in the original as well, but listening now side by side I agree I went a bit too far :whistling:
Will adjust a bit.
The choirs in the beginning are @StrezovSampling Wotan and Freyja.
The writing just for choir is insane. When the choirs are solo´d out that´s such a beautiful part!
Thanks for the input!

Sounds pretty good, well done. Wanted to roast but couldn't find any valid reason to do so :grin: I'll just say the violins in the final section are a bit too loud for my taste but I've never listened the original track. Good programming!
Thanks! Yes, I think you´re right, putting them side by side I think they are a bit too loud actually. Well spotted! Thanks for listening

Great track. I agree the bassoons stand out too much sometimes.

The part from 0:27 to me sounds different than I remember. Is probably the mixing? It's missing some of the soft relaxed-but-moving-forward tone that the live players seemed to achieve there. Although it's been a while since I heard the original. That said, I think that part specifically is gonna be hard to emulate the live players.
Thanks for listening and agree on the bassoons. Going to adjust those.

About that other part, you have good memory and maybe I should have pointed this out at the beginning but the first minute is "This Is berk - Alternate Film Version" in stead of the "Original Opening Version" which than transitions into the Original Opening Version around the 1 minute mark. If interested, that alternate version can be heard on the Deluxe Edition CD and is also included in the Omni Music Publishing score :)

Thanks for listening and agree on the bassoons. Going to adjust those.

About that other part, you have good memory and maybe I should have pointed this out at the beginning but the first minute is "This Is berk - Alternate Film Version" in stead of the "Original Opening Version" which than transitions into the Original Opening Version around the 1 minute mark. If interested, that alternate version can be heard on the Deluxe Edition CD and is also included in the Omni Music Publishing score :)
I guess that explains it! I just assumed it was the version I remember, sorry.

i think this is great, yeah it stumbles in spots but still holds together better than you'd expect samples to in such passages

and yes, what great writing! that helps 💕

Please roast my HTTYD mockup
Ask and ye shall receive. I'll gladly roast your HTTYD mockup... although I think would be more appropriate to call it a TTSIA mockup, which stands for "The Three Stooges In Arabia".

When I saw all the notes scrolling in the piano roll, I thought it was going to be an interesting, comprehensive track. But when I started hearing the music, I realized that must have been your cat walking across the keyboard (not your healthy cat, but the injured one with the bum leg.)

Lots of percussion in this track. I didn't even know Garritan Personal Orchestra had a percussion patch made from sampled Lincoln Logs.

What really stood out were the woodwinds. They took me back to when I was a kid at a concert watching Zamfir play his pan flute. He had a sudden sneezing fit. Within three minutes the venue was infested with seagulls.

Interesting choice of string libraries. One suggestion: When you denoise string patches, don't forget to bypass the "Monitor extracted noises only" button before mixing down.

I like how you infused the orchestral instruments with an oriental sound, although I couldn't quite tell what part of the orient you were trying to achieve because it sounded like a blend of Japanese, Bollywood, Gypsy music from 19th century Romania, and Volume 7 of the Cartoon Network Sound Effects Library.

The mix sounds like it was done on a scoring stage. And by scoring stage I'm talking about the Brady Bunch studio set where Barry Williams scored with Florence Henderson.

Overall, the sound was quite balanced. Almost as as balanced as Britney Spears on TikTok when she goes off her medication.

I think you should submit this track to an orchestral mockup competition. And then buy a lottery ticket to vastly increase your odds of coming out a winner.

But honestly, I enjoyed listening to your track. It filled me with the same sense of excitement I felt that time I went to a demolition derby for wheel-less cars.

:roflmao::thumbsup:

Ask and ye shall receive. I'll gladly roast your HTTYD mockup... although I think would be more appropriate to call it a TTSIA mockup, which stands for "The Three Stooges In Arabia".

When I saw all the notes scrolling in the piano roll, I thought it was going to be an interesting, comprehensive track. But when I started hearing the music, I realized that must have been your cat walking across the keyboard (not your healthy cat, but the injured one with the bum leg.)

Lots of percussion in this track. I didn't even know Garritan Personal Orchestra had a percussion patch made from sampled Lincoln Logs.

What really stood out were the woodwinds. They took me back to when I was a kid at a concert watching Zamfir play his pan flute. He had a sudden sneezing fit. Within three minutes the venue was infested with seagulls.

Interesting choice of string libraries. One suggestion: When you denoise string patches, don't forget to bypass the "Monitor extracted noises only" button before mixing down.

I like how you infused the orchestral instruments with an oriental sound, although I couldn't quite tell what part of the orient you were trying to achieve because it sounded like a blend of Japanese, Bollywood, Gypsy music from 19th century Romania, and Volume 7 of the Cartoon Network Sound Effects Library.

The mix sounds like it was done on a scoring stage. And by scoring stage I'm talking about the Brady Bunch studio set where Barry Williams scored with Florence Henderson.

Overall, the sound was quite balanced. Almost as as balanced as Britney Spears on TikTok when she goes off her medication.

I think you should submit this track to an orchestral mockup competition. And then buy a lottery ticket to vastly increase your odds of coming out a winner.

But honestly, I enjoyed listening to your track. It filled me with the same sense of excitement I felt that time I went to a demolition derby for wheel-less cars.

:roflmao::thumbsup:
Haha brilliant, thanks mate :rofl:

Great sounding piece! not much to critique from me. I think PolkaSound has given enough criticism to take on board for today!

Curious to know what libraries you're using for percussion?

Aaannd yet another HTTYD mockup o_O
Took me forever to finish it off between work and kids but would love to get some feedback on this!
This one was done using the Omni Music Publishing score. So cool to be able to see John Powell´s writing in such a detail.
Thanks!

Sounds great. Would be interested to know the libraries you used.

Great sounding piece! not much to critique from me. I think PolkaSound has given enough criticism to take on board for today!

Curious to know what libraries you're using for percussion?
Away from home for some days so can´t check now but I´d say HZ percussion.
I´ll get back to you on that.

Top Bottom