What's new

Please Help me choose a keyboard!!!!

VagalydeP

Hello, everyone.

I am putting my old Korg D1 up for sale due to my upcoming move to Korea and the commencement of my language studies and Masters in Korea.

Now I need to buy a second-hand 88 or 73-key keyboard, either a MIDI Keyboard, or a synthesiser with tone generator.

Preferably a silent keyboard, meaning he doesn't make too much noise when I play with headphones on.

My requirement is that the keybed is as close to a real piano as possible.

Current candidates (all used):
Roland Juno DS88
Roland A88
Roland DS 300NX
Korg Grandstage
Korg SV 1
Kawai MP7SE
Hammer 88 Pro

I try not to consider the Arturia and NI Komplete series with FATAR keyboards, as I find them too "soft" to the touch.

Also, I don't want a "Digital Piano" cause normally Digital Piano from yamaha or Korg will always cause Velocity Problems in DAW.

I'd like to hear from you or any other recommended keyboards.
Thank you!

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)

I try not to consider the Arturia and NI Komplete series with FATAR keyboards, as I find them too "soft" to the touch.
Hello
I have the Arturia Keylab MKII 88 which has a good touch compared to the essential version
I also have a Yamaha Clavinova.
the arturia is a little lighter but to choose I prefer the arturia one
In addition it comes with very good piano sounds and a large quantity of other instruments
After all it depends on whether you want sounds integrated into the keyboard or not.

Of those you mentioned, I'd personally pick the Roland A88. I like how those key beds feel, and the key bed of the Juno DS is not as good (although the DS is a great value in terms of sounds, for live gigs).

This is ultimately a very personal thing and by far the best idea is to try as many as you can in person. I understand that's not easy or possible for everyone.

你好
我有 Arturia Keylab MKII 88,与基本版本相比,它的触感很好
我还有一架雅马哈钢琴。
arturia 稍微轻一点,但要选择的话我更喜欢 arturia 的
此外它还带有非常好的钢琴声音和大量其他乐器
毕竟,这取决于您是否希望将声音集成到键盘中。
Hello, Thank you for reply.
I do own arturia once,also with juno ds 88 and Kawaii MP7SE
Doesnt really like the feeling and the control of Arturia, seems to be useless to me(personally).
but still thank you for reply!

Of those you mentioned I must say the Korg sv 1 is not near the touch and feeling of acoustic piano, it’s a mix of piano and elec piano keybed, and not to my taste (I’m a pro pianist). If you could try the Nord Piano series (from 3 onwards) I believe you’d be very satisfied. Not the Stage series, those have a hair lighter touch, and the release of the keys is not spot on like that on the pianos.
I’ve also tried Grandstage, and those were not half bad.

I can vouch for the Hammer 88 Pro. The keyboard has a good feel. Not as good as my old Yamaha S90 (which no longer works, unfortunately), but pretty decent. I'm a pianist, so I look for weighted keys and a decent action. The Hammer 88 Pro gives you some pads, knobs, and faders which work well. All can be edited in the editor app that comes with it. If you don't need the knobs, faders, and pads, the Hammer 88 (non-pro version) is excellent. I think its keyboard feels a little better than the Hammer 88 Pro.

The Kawai is great if you play a lot of piano - plus has an excellent built in piano sound, so you do not have to have the PC booted up to practice on headphones. It is an amazing combination if you enjoy playing a lot of piano.

Of those you mentioned I must say the Korg sv 1 is not near the touch and feeling of acoustic piano, it’s a mix of piano and elec piano keybed, and not to my taste (I’m a pro pianist). If you could try the Nord Piano series (from 3 onwards) I believe you’d be very satisfied. Not the Stage series, those have a hair lighter touch, and the release of the keys is not spot on like that on the pianos.
I’ve also tried Grandstage, and those were not half bad.
Great Advice!
Just personal problem, I don't have budget for Nord Grand...
Anyway, happy life!

Hi,

I would suggest the Roland A88. I'm not a piano player, but I tested and worked on different keybeds. I prefer the Roland ones. Do take into consideration that it is an old unit. And with these units, the plastic gets weaker. And sometimes the hammers/keys break. When they break, it is difficult to get new keys. Or at least more difficult and more expensive than it was a couple of years ago.

Hope this helps.

btw. what do you mean by velocity problems with the korg / yahama piano's in the daw? Do you mean the have different velocity sensors and are not so accurate?

Hi,

I would suggest the Roland A88. I'm not a piano player, but I tested and worked on different keybeds. I prefer the Roland ones. Do take into consideration that it is an old unit. And with these units, the plastic gets weaker. And sometimes the hammers/keys break. When they break, it is difficult to get new keys. Or at least more difficult and more expensive than it was a couple of years ago.

Hope this helps.

btw. what do you mean by velocity problems with the korg / yahama piano's in the daw? Do you mean the have different velocity sensors and are not so accurate?
Hi, Dear Minko,

Thank you for reply.

The Velocity issue for most of the digital piano I've used is that the velocity won't reach 127even if I hit the Keyboard really hard and fast.

I can't find any solution for that, and this problem seems to appear mainly on Digital Piano(Include Kawaii MP7SE).

I'm a Music Producer/Composer based on DAW,so that is actually quite important to me.

For example, if I use Piano, velocity 125 vs 127 may not have soooooo much different;
But when I use some libraries velocity 127 may trigger some special Articulation of the Music Library.

And that is actually important in Music Producing cause even I can use my mouse and keyboard to adjust the velocity, but "Playing the Articulation with velocity" is soooooooo different with adjusting velocity after in DAW.

Sorry for the poor English, hope you understand what I mean.

For instruments that are trying as close as possible to be an acoustic piano, triggering maximum velocity is – and should be – difficult and rare. You would be better served with an unweighted or semi-weighted keyboard if you want to be hitting 127 velocity regularly. I'm not aware of a single fully-weighted keyboard that would make that easy on you (or on the keyboard).

Maybe one of the semi-weighted Studiologic keyboards would work for you.

Top Bottom