What's new

Please help - I'm thinking too much in 3/4

borisb2

I recently noticed that whenever I step away from the computer (and the piano) and let my thoughts carry me (to unknown new places bla bla... :P) - most melodies and ideas in my head come in in 3/4 - rather than 4/4 ..

Am I cursed? What is wrong with me? Do I need treatment?

I recently noticed that whenever I step away from the computer (and the piano) and let my thoughts carry me (to unknown new places bla bla... :P) - most melodies and ideas in my head come in in 3/4 - rather than 4/4 ..

I discovered during a continuing deep study of Zappa's music he has a ton of stuff written in 3/4. Of course there are other meters (odd ones at that); but, 3/4 has a good share of @50 tunes I've pulled apart. Zappa as one of our best, shows you are in a good space.

Depending on your genre of choice, you could check out Rush -- a lot of its tunes are in 7/8. 7/4. You can start with Tom Sawyer to add an extra beat to your vibe.
Keep rocking, Bill

You are 100% okay! I love 3/4 ... . ;)

Nah, you're totally fine. 3/4 is great.
But if you really, I mean really-really need to get to 4/4 sometimes, just make those ideas in your head 6/8 and start feeling the 2-triplet-pulse. A spoonful of 6/8 and the knowledge that 3/4 and 4/4 eventually will come together at 12, just in case the 3/4-symptomps persist. :)

I made a record a few years ago and 90% of my melodies came out from my head in 7/4 (!). I had to rearrange them afterwards to split the tracks into 7/4, 5/4, 3/4, 6/8 and 4/4. Oddly enough, the only tune I had written in plain 4/4 turned into a 12/8 when the drummer joined the reahearsal :)
me- dude, it's in 4
drummer- swings better this way, doesn't it?
me- yeah, you're right, I'll play triplets feel
bassist - I'm playing in 2, what are you guys talking about?

Write a sonnet in iambic pentameter. The horror of the fixed, prancing syncopation will erase any conerns about 3/4 time. :2thumbs:

Lol there's nothing wrong with that all. However if you really wish to break the habit, you gotta do it cold turkey.

It's fine. It's your style, you're the 3/4 man. At least you're not writing in 4/4 all the time like everyone else. My natural meter is 6/4. I run in 6/4, I count in 6/4. My other natural meter is 13/8. Go figure. :)

When I started playing guitar I was still listening to a lot of deathmetal like Cannibal Corpse etc. and my own riffs came out in odd meters all the time - 7/8, 11/8, 13/8 you name it. A friend of mine who was a drummer was a bit confused how that came natural to me but 4/4 didn't. The singer of his other band did this too, but he didn't listen to deathmetal I think.
Now that I listen to different music that is more often in 4/4 my own riffs also mostly come out as 4/4 or 5/4.

Why waste the time waiting for that fourth beat to arrive when life flows so much better in 3’s?

Top Bottom