What's new

OUT NOW! 50% OFF PROMO | World Percussion 3.0 | World Strings Harp | World Strings Santur | Evolution Series

Lou was a very gentle soul and gave so much of his time to people, asking nothing in return.

Ethnomusicology is baked into my DNA, as my grandmother, before she married, was a child prodigy performing at major concert venues and she was the only pianist that Colin McPhee would allow to accompany him. Colin is well known as one of the earliest proponents of gamelan in North America.

From Boston Modern Orchestra's website:

"Colin McPhee was a Canadian composer and musicologist. He is primarily known for being the first Western composer to make an ethnomusicological study of Bali, and for the quality of that work. He also composed music influenced by that of Bali and Java decades before such world music–based compositions became widespread."

Lou Harrison was heavily influenced by Colin. My grandmother met Colin while he was at Peabody Conservatory. My brother and I saw the premier of an opera based on his life, a few years ago.

Colin's role in promoting the study of non-western instruments in western conservatories cannot be understated. The impact this had on composers who followed, such as Philip Glass, John Adams, Lou Harrison, and much of modern Hollywood film scoring, is immeasurable.

Here is a more thorough study of the gamelan in North America:

And as musical instruments continue to evolve, no matter how old they are or where they are used, this is an interesting study of adaptations of gamelan construction for greater mobility:

I don't think it is yet known for certain whether gamelan is the original East Asian "orchestra" and whether all the other traditional instruments of the region, such as Peking Opera Orchestra, ultimately derive from it, or vice-versa, or whether it was a symbiotic relationship from the start.
Wow. Yes!!! I spent a year in Bali in the 70s doing cross cultural psychoacoustic research using gender samples, playing gender wayang, and going native in a village. I loved Colin’s work and his books, especially A House in Bali.

Hey axb312, the Native Instruments sale was a one-time deal; it won't happen again soon. The catch with their sale was that you scored a bigger discount by investing in a bundle. This 50% promo discount isn't far off from what NI offered. For future sales, I'll likely stick to 40% off. I feel this is the best deal available for now. Since the Oud and Santur are different instruments, there's no need for a crossgrade. Even if there were, I couldn't offer a better deal than the current promo discount :)
I bought this for my son when on NI deal so is this the same deal or different products that he should consider adding or upgrading to ? ... I cannot see all the different products in the NI account so cannot check - thks

Hi All just letting you know we had to push out a small update for:

World Percussion Asia, Middle East and Ensembles. For some reason the 'Data' folder was missing in the installer. With out the Data folder the midi engine previews and drag and drop feature will not work correctly. The good folk and NI have managed to push out the update quickly for me. It is only a small download so best to grab it when you get a chance :)
While Native Instruments was unable yet to deliver a working fix for their latest Native Access update disaster, after many days being unable to access it, someone was kind enough on the NI forums to give access to a previous update (3.8) that is working for me, so I can finally download the 2 bundles I bought from you during the NI sale and register the updates to World series 3.0 that you sent me.

Pretty much the same here. It's a permanent condition though, for like 1 year? Registering, logging in, downloading... everything is a catastrophe. Sorry to say, but NI currently is a big shit show.
I'm more hesitant to buy libraries requiring Kontakt 7 player and no option of downloading libraries directly from the developer. Kontakt doesn't bother me as much but it's product distribution.

I can download direct every purchase I make but not with NI.

I had my first roadblock with Native Access 2 in a long while last night while attempting to download World Percussion South America 3.0. (I have the latest version of NA2). I kept getting download failed messages.

On a hunch, I decided to quit the app and try again; and it immediately dowloaded fine. I don’t know whether this will work for anyone else, but I thought I’d share just in case.

Best,

Geoff

Does anyone else experience crackles (on release) when playing the instruments?
The libs are all installed on an SSD, so it can't be that.

I bought this for my son when on NI deal so is this the same deal or different products that he should consider adding or upgrading to ? ... I cannot see all the different products in the NI account so cannot check - thks
Hey Delboy If you had purchased the percussion and mega bundles from this current sale then it is all the same :)

While Native Instruments was unable yet to deliver a working fix for their latest Native Access update disaster, after many days being unable to access it, someone was kind enough on the NI forums to give access to a previous update (3.8) that is working for me, so I can finally download the 2 bundles I bought from you during the NI sale and register the updates to World series 3.0 that you sent me.
Sorry about the issues.. I'm happy you finally got it to work :)

I'm more hesitant to buy libraries requiring Kontakt 7 player and no option of downloading libraries directly from the developer. Kontakt doesn't bother me as much but it's product distribution.

I can download direct every purchase I make but not with NI.
I can understand the hesitation. The thing is I have found no perfect solution for downloaders... they all seem to have some form of quirk. Maybe I've been lucky... Native Access 2.0 has always worked well for me on my Mac Intel computer. The only time I had an issue was when I forgot to give Native Access permission to access my hard drive.

I had my first roadblock with Native Access 2 in a long while last night while attempting to download World Percussion South America 3.0. (I have the latest version of NA2). I kept getting download failed messages.

On a hunch, I decided to quit the app and try again; and it immediately dowloaded fine. I don’t know whether this will work for anyone else, but I thought I’d share just in case.

Best,

Geoff
Yeah sometimes a restart is the best option :)

Does anyone else experience crackles (on release) when playing the instruments?
The libs are all installed on an SSD, so it can't be that.
Not on my system. I do find if your buffer setting is too low crackles can happen. I generally set mine to around 512. So first test would be to increase your buffer and see what happens. Also check out your cpu meter in kontakt. Maybe you need to have a play with some of the settings in kontakt.

Hey Delboy If you had purchased the percussion and mega bundles from this current sale then it is all the same :)

I can understand the hesitation. The thing is I have found no perfect solution for downloaders... they all seem to have some form of quirk. Maybe I've been lucky... Native Access 2.0 has always worked well for me on my Mac Intel computer. The only time I had an issue was when I forgot to give Native Access permission to access my hard drive.

Not on my system. I do find if your buffer setting is too low crackles can happen. I generally set mine to around 512. So first test would be to increase your buffer and see what happens. Also check out your cpu meter in kontakt. Maybe you need to have a play with some of the settings in kontakt.
There is one. Downloading without a downloader app. This can be done with 8dio, IK, VSL. plenty of software developers. In that I can archive those and install on a replacement drive without having to download everything. Alli libraries downloaded on NA the installs are deleted. Basically I have to archive them once installed. Even with an OS crash I can install everything without downloading. I had this issue once with NA over 2 of their libraries with were 80gb each. After failed installs on trying it on 3 separate machines I eventually got a warning from my ISP about data limit. So what did NI do? They game me a link to download direct. This has been a request on their forum for quite some time.
NA is great when it works. Their forum and other forums have enoug complaints.

Best,

Geoff

Best,

Geoff
Never be surprised that there will be more. This worked.

Evolution Series - Everything Bundle NKS Store in Oct 22 ... for around £450 so was not recent

after checking an old NI youtube it seems it was 3 x Chronicles 11 x World plus 4 x Colors so guess not
I didnt partake in this years offer as I thought it was the same and I cant check on Evolution web site as the products not registered there but in NI so guess I wouldnt get any upgrade deals so assume I will have to wait until it come round again ... no worries

Last edited:
Evolution Series - Everything Bundle NKS Store in Oct 22 ... for around £450 so was not recent

after checking an old NI youtube it seems it was 3 x Chronicles 11 x World plus 4 x Colors so guess not
I didnt partake in this years offer as I thought it was the same and I cant check on Evolution web site as the products not registered there but in NI so guess I wouldnt get any upgrade deals so assume I will have to wait until it come round again ... no worries
Ah if this is the case then yes this latest NI sale had many new products. I'm not sure when the next sale will be... it might be years aways. Either-way no pressure. I'll be offering sales every now and again :)

Mine load slow in Kontakt standalone and one a SSD. I have Europe and Asia.
World Percussion does load a little slow... part of the issue is Kontakt 7. Native Instruments are aware of this and hopefully will improve loading times in a future version. One thing I would recommend is try batch resaving your instruments. I generally find this helps.

Yeah I missed the sale because I was super busy with taxes and someone on another forum said incorrectly that it was stripped-down versions when sold directly by NI vs. the vendor, and I simply didn't have time to corroborate. No big deal though, as the only one I really needed was Tanpura.

I think it wouldve been real nice if the gamelan degung instruments could be purchased as their own little bundle, perhaps without needing to disrupt the main collections’ instruments either. As of right now to get the whole ensemble it would take like 3 different purchases and they would come with a number of bulk instruments that are certainly no degung nor gamelan. Possibly would be 4 if a suling ever becomes a thing.

I bought a while back the OT sangara metallophones and through it I got a gender, saron, and gong for gamelan. I had to get creative when making arranges since there was no bonang (there was instead the thailandese equivalent but the tone is ever so different). So for me to complete my degung I’d need a bonang and kendang, so that’s kinda how I noticed the fact that its all balkanized to begin with

Also speaking of degung and gamelan in general, if there is one thing that has not been sampled regarding gamelan one of the big ones would be the vocal aspect of it. I’ve listened to gamelan tracks that have like this sort of solo voice melody that not always is spoken words, almost like the way the suling is played in a way with all the ornaments and etc. it’s definitely very interesting and in general this sort of voice sample libraries that focus on specific region’s traditional way of singing are so few and far between. Yet then again, it does make sense since its probably something pretty hard to execute both well and accurately for sure.

I think it wouldve been real nice if the gamelan degung instruments could be purchased as their own little bundle, perhaps without needing to disrupt the main collections’ instruments either. As of right now to get the whole ensemble it would take like 3 different purchases and they would come with a number of bulk instruments that are certainly no degung nor gamelan. Possibly would be 4 if a suling ever becomes a thing.

I bought a while back the OT sangara metallophones and through it I got a gender, saron, and gong for gamelan. I had to get creative when making arranges since there was no bonang (there was instead the thailandese equivalent but the tone is ever so different). So for me to complete my degung I’d need a bonang and kendang, so that’s kinda how I noticed the fact that its all balkanized to begin with

Also speaking of degung and gamelan in general, if there is one thing that has not been sampled regarding gamelan one of the big ones would be the vocal aspect of it. I’ve listened to gamelan tracks that have like this sort of solo voice melody that not always is spoken words, almost like the way the suling is played in a way with all the ornaments and etc. it’s definitely very interesting and in general this sort of voice sample libraries that focus on specific region’s traditional way of singing are so few and far between. Yet then again, it does make sense since its probably something pretty hard to execute both well and accurately for sure.
Actually that's not a bad idea... something to think about for the future. I appreciate your thoughts :)

First off, I just want to say how much I appreciate the level of knowledge being shown in this thread. It is great to be learning from you all as I go.

Second, if we are putting in gamelan-related wishes, can I wish for jegog?

I agree there are some really knowledgable folk around here! I always learn so much when I'm around here too! A Jegog looks cool! I need to go hunting lol ;)

Aww that's not fair, I want a new serial number.
That's when AI goes rogue!!! I guess that's how the movie starts lol ;)

Here is a track I made with WP3 and Harp:

Thanks mate :)

Top Bottom