What's new

OSMOSE by Expressive-E - MPE keyboard

The operation of the portamento under Osmose is great, but it loses all its interest if it can only be used on the internal sounds.
I really hope they will think about exploiting it for third-party instruments, or will it be necessary for developers to adapt their software to the instrument?
Maybe the Expressive E / Audio Modeling collaboration is going in this direction.

The operation of the portamento under Osmose is great, but it loses all its interest if it can only be used on the internal sounds.
I really hope they will think about exploiting it for third-party instruments, or will it be necessary for developers to adapt their software to the instrument?
Maybe the Expressive E / Audio Modeling collaboration is going in this direction.
It can work with third-party sources. I've done so successfully with Arturia's Pigment, for example. There's a specific setting you have to use, which someone had posted before in another forum:

"FYI: If you set "usb Haken mode" to send "note only" in the Osmose midi i/o settings you can use pressure glide or the Osmose arpeggiator on external or virtual instruments by choosing the "Osmose port 2" as your input..."

So yes, it does work, and it should work with all third-party instruments that are MPE compatible. In the case of SWAM instruments, Audio Modeling's settings for pitchbend is a bit different, set to +/- 48 instead of 96, so Osmose is having a bit of a hard time with it, but I think that's a more unique case.

Just had word from support that my Osmose is being sent next week. I must admit somewhat going ‘off the boil’ after 3 years and 7 months of waiting but I’m sure it will pass.…
Oh and thanks Brexit, that’ll be £300 to the customs department. Seriously when will England wake up?

Just some feedback on some comments above, having an Osmose for two months now. Some feel the Eagan Matrix (EM) is limited perhaps compared to other options, let's say for strings. However, EM+Osmose offers a responsiveness nothing will match currently, simply because it's MPE+ is beyond Swam or anything else, and the SHARC onboard chips do certain things really fast. So you can get a pretty spectacular articulation. As we know, great samples sound canned even with all variables availed. That might not be an issue if the piece is a score that will be played by live instruments. The Osmose can give the closest I've heard to the variations of a real fingerboard from any keys (I torture violin, viola, cello) The EM in good hands is pretty remarkable. I heard a clavichord at the recent conference in Portugal which was great. There is a certain ethos about acoustic "imitation" in some circles, where it's better to "be inspired by a violin". No commercial physical modeling synth offers any thing close to this performance and low-level access to sound production, provided you want to spend the time to learn the engine. Like chops, there won't be instant results. Also, currently the expressiveness is best live or as recorded sound, not as recorded digital control signals. That stream seems too thick and fast for DAWs right now.

Osmose does not replace anything. It's a new instrument with different, unique strengths. With it's EM engine, you have a control at the keys never seen before. Nothing is close. But as such it's something different. It's not the machine to pretend to be an older keyboard, your montunos or fast polyphonic riffs will be easier on the old boards. But for single note leads, no keyboard comes close, and I think in 2 years there will be some players opening eyes with it in polyphony of many flavors, both electronic and "acoustic-like".

I recently acquired a 7 course lute. Recordings don't come close to the sounds it makes...in the same room. I have not touched my guitars, elec or classic, since it came. Of course it's not loud, but it's rich. Fantastic for solfeggio. Horses for courses, right? The Osmose is more than a new breed, it's a new species.

I'll just add one thing which might or might not be clear:
The Osmose has three axis: 1) Key travel up and down to point where AT begins. 2) AT travel up and down 3) lateral key travel.

What is the most revolutionary axis? Surprisingly it's Number one. Do you have a preset on ANY synth, which responds to a keyboard key in graduations of pressure and speed both up and down, without any "automatic reset" of some type?

I don't think you do, but if you do, please tell us.

Conventional keyboards "commit". An expression pedal does offer a way to back on and off, off all keys at once, if the sustain is 100%ish. In the osmose that function is per key and built into the keystroke, and it is not limited to volume but can be set to affect many parameters.

The physiognomy of the hand is very complex, obviously. The conventional electronic keyboard is epically simple, essentially a typewriter. This certainly has advantages in narrowing down the gamut of error. The sacrifice is a convincing caress....a make or break factor in many relationships LOL

Love of technology is reinforced by mass marketing, often oblivious to the technologies actual quality. The defacto strategy seems to be: forget nature, check this out! Don't play an instrument, play with your watch. That might be better for apple, but many studies show it's not better for us.

Last edited:
I've had one for a few weeks now and indeed, it is remarkable. I've not played a keyboard instrument that is this expressive. I have a ROLI Seaboard also, and it's different but I find it much less expressive. Plus, if you're used to playing keys the Osmose feels vastly more comfortable under your fingers.

The biggest thing that I think most people don't understand before they play one is that the whole concept of an "envelope" basically goes away. You create the envelope each time you hit a key, like on most acoustic instruments. That's why it had to be bundled with a custom sound engine (which, yes, is not my favorite collection of timbres). I find the Osmose much more natural than the ROLI in terms of sculpting a sound with playing technique.

In fact, after playing the Osmose for a while and then using it as a standard MIDI keyboard with envelope-controlled synths, it feels awkward. But then you realize that's how it's been for decades...

The Osmose is probably the most groundbreaking electronic musical instrument I've encountered. In truth, I can't think of why I wouldn't say it definitely is other than I'm just kind of a curmudgeon who doesn't say those sorts of things. Regardless, it definitely is a major leap forward in expressiveness with a MIDI-type controller.

Kudos to the developers.

After 3.5 years mine arrives next Tuesday. I almost feel sad that I won’t be in a state of suspension anymore after next week. Is there a word in any language for ‘the feeling of loss of anticipation’? Maybe “osmonui”?

After 3.5 years mine arrives next Tuesday. I almost feel sad that I won’t be in a state of suspension anymore after next week. Is there a word in any language for ‘the feeling of loss of anticipation’? Maybe “osmonui”?
Surely that feeling would be replaced by a feeling of exploration? I wonder which one feels better 😄

So whats the verdict on this bad boy? I want one so badly that if my liver wasn't so drenched in booze over the years I'd sell it to buy one 😂
It is something almost, but not quite, entirely unlike a synth you may or may not own.

I know a girl who knows a guy who heard that someone might need a kidney.
Should I give them your details?

If you are in the neighbourhood, you are more than welcome to give mine a spin (not the kidney)

Anders

It's ...arriving..tomorrow morning...between 8.24am and 12.24am. It's actually at my local FedEx sorting office....
I'm confused. I don't really believe it will turn up. Too many years of the Expressivee email saying it's been put back.

And if it does... what if I don't like it..:emoji_fearful: Aaagh.

It's ...arriving..tomorrow morning...between 8.24am and 12.24am. It's actually at my local FedEx sorting office....
I'm confused. I don't really believe it will turn up. Too many years of the Expressivee email saying it's been put back.

And if it does... what if I don't like it..:emoji_fearful: Aaagh.
You will like it!

It's here!... and it's a work of art. I've barely had enough time with it but I know already it's very..very..special. The keys and keybed are just exquisite. Beautiful. The name of the company is correct. The perfect marriage of hard and software.

The FedEx was a little late but all good on that front compared to some with FedEx it seems.

It does fit in my Roland soft keyboard case perfectly but it's not really a gigging instrument I feel. Speaking of which I have to go away tomorrow for two weeks of gigs, so that's all I can say for now..a very positive first impression.

So you know that phrase "game-changer" that's overused by a certain UK software company...they need to buy one of these, because Osmose is a game-changer.
It's made me realise that all that "modulation" - LFO's, envelopes, etc, it's not necessary any more because with Osmose the human becomes the modulator. It's that revolutionary.

And a total redefinition of dynamic range in synthesis. Osmse plays with silence. It makes the last 5% of the volume feel like a 100%, which it is.

'A niente' on steroids.

So so good. Sell that kidney.

I feel privileged. I've only been waiting 7 months. Still no sign though...

Top Bottom