What's new

Orchestral Tools - SINE Player - new update available—version 1.0.5

I hope OT are planning on dropping this new sampler/webstore ecosystem soon as they can be sure that only a fraction of people are going to buy new releases until they do so, knowing that they can simply wait and buy just the instruments they want.

Wish I had known this was coming before buying Ark 4. Love the strings and choir, kind of ok with the winds/brass...absolutely no need whatsoever for an unprocessed 3 kickdrum ensemble.

Purgeable would relate to samples, as in purging things from memory.

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I know what that term means, but I was asking about the scalability/re-sizing the GUI, which has nothing to do with Purging samples from RAM. I thought the term applied to the GUI, and I'm not aware about it. So, my question has not been answered yet by OT.

Obviously, nobody knows that info yet because OT didn't divulge it yet. It's anyone's guess at this point.

Yeah... I guess we have to wait until OT release more details about if the GUI is scalable, and other detail of their new Sample Player.

The thing with this new payer is really easy IMO ...
It clear looks like it has some potential, given the features provided that are not possible in Kontakt. Yet, the whole thing will work or fail, based on the OT player managing to deliver ...
... the same efficiency as Kontakt.
... background loading of the samples to shorten start up times.
... not lack any Kontakt feature that might be important to many.
The last part is complicated, unfortunately! For example, I tend to use Kontakt multi scripts to create some custom key switching solutions or repair some bugs in scripting. One example: If you send one Midi CC to a Capsule instrument (just one midi command, like CC 56 with a value of 127), this midi command is ignored by capsule. Probably, this is by design, as older fader boxes sometimes send values without touching them from time to time. That is why I suppose, they programmed Capsule to only process CCs, if at least two values got sent. It might just be a bug as well ... I am not sure!
However, this is a problem for me, as I want to send all values as a bulk message, as they are set on my Lemur controller app. Kontakt enables me to fit things like that, by finding out what the problem is. It is tedious at times and I hate it! :) But I have to face the fact that almost no developer ever did everything to my liking in their scripting. Some features are locked, like certain CC parameters or sometimes key switches. If there is no multi script available, I need everything to be user definable and also CC-controllable. Otherwise, I cannot see how I could fit a different player to my workflow.

Now this I can get into. After buying Ark I & II during the NI sale, gotta say, they're on the path of having me as a regular customer!

Sorry if I missed it

Have they said if it will install on W7, or did they pull a SFA, and is this W10 only?

Excellent point! I keep forgetting there are things that don't run on Win 7 because they are relatively rare. If it doesn't run on Win 7 it's also useless for me.

Honestly, I've always been waiting for someone to present a better sampler than the NI Kontakt Sampler. Not because I'm angry or similar, but because I know that there will always be progress. That is a law of nature. I'm curious what we are offered.

The ability to buy single instruments from larger libs would be amazing. I'd love to get the strings and choir from MA4 for instance but have literally no interest in any of the rest of it. It also seems that they are going toward a more loyalty-based pricing system ... almost more analogous to FabFilter. A very welcomed change indeed!

Will all the previous Kontakt versions of OT Berlin Series Libraries become available in the new OT Sample Player format ?

Any new sampler that shows up will live or die on its performance vs Kontakt, not to mention all the various compatibility issues with different hardware and different DAWs. And so far the only one that has matched its performance is Vienna's own engine.
Absolutely agree with this statement; you only have to look at the relationship with long standing customers of East West when PLAY was released (not inciting an argument, just stating fact!). Also interesting to see that Spitfire are leaning the same way. I guess it's just pure business and economics; why pay someone else for something you can do yourself - ultimately these are profit making commercial companies.

Personally I think it's a shame as I like the workflow and resources management of having all my libs in one sampler that I have grown to understand and know how to use.

Also got to say that Capsule is not the most efficient of sample management engines; hope that the new OT Sampler doesn't use the same resource hogging process.

J

I guess it's just pure business and economics; why pay someone else for something you can do yourself - ultimately these are profit making commercial companies.

But I'm not sure economics have a play in here. Developing a sampler from scratch requires a shitton of resources and lots of manhours... I am not exactly sure that Kontakt Player encoding fees end up costing more than paying for ground-up development of an entirely new thing.

Top Bottom