What's new

Orchestral Tools : Berlin Symphonic Strings

Using Windows Explorer ? or ... ?

How do you do a rescan ?

This is such a pain to deal with, OT needs to fix their updates, I see no reason I have to waste my time on this crap.
On the library tab somewhere in the upper right above the instruments there should be a + collection symbol click it and proceed. I had to do that a few times after installs good luck good night and yes you can check your content folder with Windows

I think I will just re-download it.

I see two options in the 'Settings' of BSS (1. Remove from Library 2. Delete from Disk) which one should I use to delete BSS, and re-download it ? and what does option 1. Do compared to option 2. ?

I just checked
verify Orchestral Tools\SINE Player\Content\744 was changed
I checked 744, and it has not changed. it shows it was Installed in 2021. Not sure what the update download did. I'm just going to re-install the library. I'm guessing I should use the Delete from Disk option to delete it, then re-download it from scratch.

Thanks.

Thanks @Rudianos , I appreciate your help. :thumbsup:

I just deleted BSS, and it is re-downloading as I'm typing this reply. I think that's the easiest way to fix this. I still don't feel I should go through this, I will email OT Support to let them know that their update process didn't go well. Hopefully they look into this, and fix it. I know that I'm not the only one who has this issue.

So:

During my wait for Pacific Strings, I bought this library on impulse - I wanna say, sometime in late November/early December. I think they were having a sale.

Back then, I was super impressed by the tone: really big sounding, but also really clear and detailed, and it responded nicely to the post-processing I usually put my pieces through. I even didn't mind the pared-down vibrato on the 1st violins. My biggest concern back then, and what ultimately stopped me using it was the legato. I won't be the first to admit that CSS has me spoiled rotten when it comes to legato, and it's set an near-unattainable benchmark that most other libraries haven't really been able to match. This library was no exception, and so, I didn't really use it.

I just checked out the latest 1.5 update, and my opinion is very changed. The legato plays, responds, and sounds so much better now, and the molto vibrato option absolutely makes the tone of the 1st violins much, much sweeter. It's not CSS level, but it's close enough that when I play on either keyboard or with musical typing in Logic, I'm decently satisfied with how it "feels" under my fingers, if that makes sense. It's improved enough that I can absolutely see myself using this for projects going forward.

Made this quick piece in about an hour to really dig into the sound of the legatos. Included both the final version and an unprocessed version (except for reverb and a side-only low cut EQ on the stereo output).

Best,
Adam
Sounds great. The only thing is OT could have CSS tier legato. We know that from Staffpad and Pixelpoet. The staffpad berlin strings legato are CSS level. Admittedly from BS samples not BSS, but OT could do it if they wanted to, but chose not to.

Who chooses not to have CSS tier legato as an option?

what articulation are you using - send details mics etc - cannot replicate
Just the default mics (Spot1+Tree). After downloading the update, I loaded up the Celli, played a few lines and within a couple of minutes was into 'wait, what was that?!' territory. :confused:

From the audio clip:-

1. Sustains. F4-G4 with mod wheel around 100 - weird slapback sound.
2. Sustains accented. F4-G4 with mod wheel around 100 - weird slapback sound.
3. Sustains soft. Most prominent on B2 & C3 with full mod wheel - tuning and background noises.

There are others too...

Marcato Short. B1-C2 full mod wheel - odd harmonic overtone. It's in Marcato Long, Spiccato and Tremolo too but less prominent.
Rapid Legato +LEG. Playing the interval G3-C4 makes the C4 sound like a trill or a gliss depending on mod wheel position.
Rapid Legato and +LEG. A3 full mod wheel has a discordant 'boing' like a jaws harp!
Pattern legato. A3, D4 & E4 full mod wheel have a slapback scrape noise.

Yes, so far only Vln1 is installed, other sections are still downloading.

Screen Shot 2022-05-25 at 3.16.55 PM.png
Hi @holywilly

OK. Great. You will surely enjoy the new update.

When I played the updated BSS Legato Vlns 1 I felt like it's a different library in terms of how much better the Legato feels under my fingers. I call this the Legato-Rubberband sensation, where you feel you are stretching a rubber band between your fingers as you play the various Legato intervals, it just feels, and sounds much more expressive, and the notes are naturally connected. This is what I feel when playing CSS Legatos. But here without the high amount of latency that CSS introduces to the playability/response time.

I'm curious to hear your feeling about the new BSS Legatos, and Molto-Vib.

Cheers,
Muziksculp

Last edited:
Are you going to buy or complete this collection? I admit it's tempting me with this bundle offer compared to waiting for Cinestrings Pro which I know little about except that they wont be offering con sordino. Bummer. This however is a complete collection of extensive articulations as well. You mentioned some issues still with the Berlin main collections. Could you elaborate on what are some of those issues as I do not have any of the main libraries yet from OT.
Hi @reids ,

Yes, I already have many of these Strings Libraries, I just need to purchase the Berlin Con Sordino Strings, and the Berlin SFX Strings, and I have the whole bundle, and that's what I did.

Cheers,
Muziksculp

i'm curious with the update on BSS. How good is it with the extra molto vibrato ? especially on the violins. appreciate for some user demos.
To answer a couple of the things that I've noticed but that might not have been clearly stated:

(Edit--apparently the portatos are included in other instruments as well, but they did not seem to be included in my install. I'll update asI learn more.)

The new articulations, to my knowledge, are *only* included with the first violins. It reminds me of Berlin Strings when they added the most beautiful fingered legato (same gorgeous sounding legato as Berlin Con Sordino Strings BCSS) only to the first violins and left us wishing for more. In the case of BSS, the violas and cellos sound great without a molto layer, but the second violins could use one. I'd say the molto vibrato is pretty comparable to the standard expressive vibrato of the cellos. We could use portatos across the board too instead of just Violin 1.

The legatos in BSS do sound improved across the board, which explains why we have to download updates for each section. It could just be power of suggestion but it does sound better when playing a melody. My impression is that it's improved in the scripting and the back-end of SINE, not actual new recordings. For my tastes though, the Rapid legato is still my preferred all-purpose legato, and the melodic is still a bit smeared. I guess this is how a real symphonic section sounds, but I'd only use those transitions on very slow melodies.

Last edited:
To answer a couple of the things that I've noticed but that might not have been clearly stated:

The new articulations, to my knowledge, are *only* included with the first violins. It reminds me of Berlin Strings when they added the most beautiful fingered legato (same gorgeous sounding legato as Berlin Con Sordino Strings BCSS) only to the first violins and left us wishing for more. In the case of BSS, the violas and cellos sound great without a molto layer, but the second violins could use one. I'd say the molto vibrato is pretty comparable to the standard expressive vibrato of the cellos. We could use portatos across the board too instead of just Violin 1.

The legatos in BSS do sound improved across the board, which explains why we have to download updates for each section. It could just be power of suggestion but it does sound better when playing a melody. My impression is that it's improved in the scripting and the back-end of SINE, not actual new recordings. For my tastes though, the Rapid legato is still my preferred all-purpose legato, and the melodic is still a bit smeared. I guess this is how a real symphonic section sounds, but I'd only use those transitions on very slow melodies.
To correct one thing:

- portato was added to violins 1, violas, cellos
- molto vibrato was added to sustain, soft sustain, accented sustain for violins 1

Top Bottom