What's new

Olafur Arnald Felt piano out of tune C4 note

Remi Croussette

Hi, does anyone else with this library notice that some of the samples of the C4 note on the felt piano are slightly out of tune? its the only note in the library that the piano strings aren't properly tuned and it bugs me everytime i hear it. when i get back in the studio ill record an audio example and post it. I'm surprised I cant find anyone online mentioning this unless of course people really like the wonky sound of this one note.

Edit: example attached

Attachments

• OA C4 note2.mp3
    377.8 KB
Last edited:
But.... Why not just directly report it to Spitfire? It's not like we can fix it
spitfire have not been giving the tiniest bit of interest to fix their older libraries from my experience (and from others' experince in this forum), so I would understand if the OP is posting this with the intention to maybe get a hot-fix solution from other users...

that being said @Remi Croussette , if the patch is actually unlocked, I'm sure there is a way to go behind the wrench and retune the bugging note/sample to taste. can't provide the instructions myself cause I'm a nood but here is a video which may be useful

spitfire have not been giving the tiniest bit of interest to fix their older libraries from my experience (and from others' experince in this forum), so I would understand if the OP is posting this with the intention to maybe get a hot-fix solution from other users...

that being said @Remi Croussette , if the patch is actually unlocked, I'm sure there is a way to go behind the wrench and retune the bugging note/sample to taste. can't provide the instructions myself cause I'm a nood but here is a video which may be useful

They got back to me recently about a ticket I placed a year ago, promising a fix for an issue I already forgot about. And it's not the only one. The company is clearly trying at the moment! In fact, I'd say NOW is the best time to report bugs to them, from my own experience. Seems like they are going through all the old/ignored tickets right now.

They got back to me recently about a ticket I placed a year ago, promising a fix for an issue I already forgot about. And it's not the only one. The company is clearly trying at the moment! In fact, I'd say NOW is the best time to report bugs to them, from my own experience. Seems like they are going through all the old/ignored tickets right now.
Yep, they are eventually fixing everything. But they have SO MANY libs with a lot of issues, that it takes them ages. And I guess that they are focused on the most popular libs with the most tickets.

This is a useful tip. But the issue isn't that the sample is out of tune in that sense. It's the actual sampled piano's 3 unison strings for the c4 key that are not tunes to each other. This is a "recording at the source" kind of issue, I'm really surprised made it to the final samples chosen. This is another reason why I made this post. I'm sorry of wondering "am I really the only one hearing this off note?"

I posted an audio example in the original post.

This is a useful tip. But the issue isn't that the sample is out of tune in that sense. It's the actual sampled piano's 3 unison strings for the c4 key that are not tunes to each other. This is a "recording at the source" kind of issue, I'm really surprised made it to the final samples chosen. This is another reason why I made this post. I'm sorry of wondering "am I really the only one hearing this off note?"

I posted an audio example in the original post.
This seems indeed the case (wider unison width) but I think it is not an issue with the piano tuning itself, I would rather assume it's the result of the interaction between the hammer and the muting felt, particularly so if the felt has not been applied using a muting bar but insted inserting pieces directly upon the strings, which involves using multiple strips and some loose ends when the hammer strikes and the felt moves. You cannot expect a pristine intonation/tuning of each note when you prepare a piano inserting objects in between the strings.

Since we are talking about out of tune in general I am the only one to find that the celli of Appossionata are not really in tune... I no longer contact SA for this kind of thing, too tired...

This seems indeed the case (wider unison width) but I think it is not an issue with the piano tuning itself, I would rather assume it's the result of the interaction between the hammer and the muting felt, particularly so if the felt has not been applied using a muting bar but insted inserting pieces directly upon the strings, which involves using multiple strips and some loose ends when the hammer strikes and the felt moves. You cannot expect a pristine intonation/tuning of each note when you prepare a piano inserting objects in between the strings.
Fair enough. Great explanation of the inner workings of a felt piano. It's just slightly annoying that it's the only note of the piano that has this minor intonation imperfection. Still waiting on SA to come back to me on it.

It's actually every second sample that sounds off on that key. I am wondering if there's a way to remove those "off" samples from the pool within kontakt and save as a new patch. I'm away from my studio right now so I can check to see if the instrument is "locked" for editing or not.

Go behind the wrench/spanner, find the offending samples, highlight them in the mapping panel and tune them.

Top Bottom