What's new

NotePerformer 4 Expectations or Wishes

Hello everyone,
I have several questions to ask:
1 - Is it possible to overlay the sound banks of Hollywood Choirs from East West + Voxos choir from Musio in NPPE at the same time in the same module and how to do it?
2 - How to optimize the mixing of a score of 20 voices without saturating the sound on Sibelius Ultimate?
Thank you for your answers.
For your first question, add multiple instances of the choir instrument to sibelius and both choirs to NPPE. Set to one staff each. Should work, but you have to copy the notation to both staves.

Not a Sibelius user, so can't answer the second question.

For your first question, add multiple instances of the choir instrument to sibelius and both choirs to NPPE. Set to one staff each. Should work, but you have to copy the notation to both staves.

Not a Sibelius user, so can't answer the second question.
Thanks for your answer.
I try the solution quickly
Best regards

@Wallander one question/suggestion: I'm an avid user of BBCSO Pro NPPE, but it'd be great to have a close mix for the solo strings which actually sounds like a quartet. There's no way I can do that myself right? In the sense that if I change the mix settings in the plugin, they'll reset when I close the window. Thus, I can only choose a mix from the NPPE. None of these is particularly detailed, they all sound overwhelmingly roomy. Is there a way to achieve this or would it need an implementation from your side?

@Wallander one question/suggestion: I'm an avid user of BBCSO Pro NPPE, but it'd be great to have a close mix for the solo strings which actually sounds like a quartet. There's no way I can do that myself right? In the sense that if I change the mix settings in the plugin, they'll reset when I close the window. Thus, I can only choose a mix from the NPPE. None of these is particularly detailed, they all sound overwhelmingly roomy. Is there a way to achieve this or would it need an implementation from your side?
You can load the mic positions and change them within NPPE

Last edited:
@Wallander Hi Arne, I was wondering if there’s been any indication if Kontakt will pursue adding in the ability to stream samples without the RAM use - seems unlikely but still hoping.

While we’re at it any possibility of supporting acoustic sample libraries? I know they fall under a category you e previously said you can’t support I think because of IR’s being part of the sound but was hoping maybe something is different about these.

Hi @Wallander
Next wish would be adding the new articulations from Duality Strings (The new staccato and no vibrato options, as I fear the whole virtuoso stuff won't fit as well to a Playback Engine
We'll likely add support for new articulations that can improve the engine, but I don't have a timeline, unfortunately.

@Wallander Hi Arne, I was wondering if there’s been any indication if Kontakt will pursue adding in the ability to stream samples without the RAM use - seems unlikely but still hoping.
We have no insight into it; if we did, I'm afraid that would be under NDA.

Even if we purged all Kontakt instances, the RAM use isn't significantly different. There's a baseline RAM load for a Kontakt instrument, and that's what's eating RAM when using Kontakt inside NPPE because we need many instances. I'm not sure this is readily fixed.

We'll likely add support for new articulations that can improve the engine, but I don't have a timeline, unfortunately.

We have no insight into it; if we did, I'm afraid that would be under NDA.

Even if we purged all Kontakt instances, the RAM use isn't significantly different. There's a baseline RAM load for a Kontakt instrument, and that's what's eating RAM when using Kontakt inside NPPE because we need many instances. I'm not sure this is readily fixed.
One can dream at least :) I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Hello everyone,
I have two questions for you:
1 - How do we find the sounds that we modified in the original linked application in the NPPE?
example: I modified a soft piano sound with the sound spectrum of a large concert hall (the Bosendorfer of East West) that I want to find in the NPPE template.
2 - I have BBCSO PRO and HOOPUS but I want to modify the microphone positions (in fact, it is the diagram of the triangle - Microphone balance - with the point that we can orient): how do we do it and where do we find it?
I have Sibelius Ultimate ( 2024-3-1) + Hoopus + BBCSO + CSSS with NPPE

Thank you for your answers and hoping to have a future version (4.5?) of this wonderful tool that is NPPE.

Hello everyone,
I have two questions for you:
1 - How do we find the sounds that we modified in the original linked application in the NPPE?
example: I modified a soft piano sound with the sound spectrum of a large concert hall (the Bosendorfer of East West) that I want to find in the NPPE template.
2 - I have BBCSO PRO and HOOPUS but I want to modify the microphone positions (in fact, it is the diagram of the triangle - Microphone balance - with the point that we can orient): how do we do it and where do we find it?
I have Sibelius Ultimate ( 2024-3-1) + Hoopus + BBCSO + CSSS with NPPE

1715069952664.png
Thank you for your answers and hoping to have a future version (4.5?) of this wonderful tool that is NPPE.
If you save the edited instruments in a user template, they are recalled with your adjustments when you open that template. Is that what you mean? I don't think there is a way to save these settings per instrument, like patches, to recall individually.

Once you have loaded instrument sounds in NPPE, click the black arrow button on the far right of the instrument slot. This will pull up a bunch of advanced options, including mic balance, which will affect only that instrument slot. Once you're on this screen, don't forget about the 3 dot menus which give you options to quickly copy the mic balance setting or other settings to other instrument slots.

1715082717855.png

Last edited:
Just bought this amazing tool. Absolutely love it - I can focus on writing and learning, rather than getting distracted by samples and DAW etc. Best music technology I've purchased this year, for sure.

Did a quick piece to test, this is the same piece in NP default sounds (plus berlin studio for some surround/tail), then I've mocked it up in the DAW. Then finally, played both at the same time to see if that enhances the mockup. Thoughts? (all normalized to -1db)

Np Default
View attachment 2024-05-10 Action Score.2024-05-11 13_53_54 NP.mp3

DAW Mockup (HOOPUS + CSS for Strings, VSL BBO Timpani)
View attachment 2024-05-10 Action Score.2024-05-11 13_52_42 CSS + HOOPUS.mp3

Both together blended
View attachment 2024-05-10 Action Score.2024-05-11 13_53_14 CSS + HOOPUS +NP.mp3

Just bought this amazing tool. Absolutely love it - I can focus on writing and learning, rather than getting distracted by samples and DAW etc. Best music technology I've purchased this year, for sure.

Did a quick piece to test, this is the same piece in NP default sounds (plus berlin studio for some surround/tail), then I've mocked it up in the DAW. Then finally, played both at the same time to see if that enhances the mockup. Thoughts? (all normalized to -1db)

Np Default

Both together blended
View attachment 2024-05-10 Action Score.2024-05-11 13_53_14 CSS + HOOPUS +NP.mp3
Welcome to the NP party!

Loved your test piece! To be clear, this was without NPPE? Berlin Studio did wonders in that case! I'll have to try that.

I often feel like NP default sound vs DAW comes down to "if you spend x hours in the DAW, it sounds 10% better". Are those 10% worth it? Sometimes yes, sometimes no!

I'm not sure which one I prefer, but the hits around 0:31 sounded a bit metallic in the DAW version.

How much time was spent on mocking it up in the DAW?

Np Default

Both together blended
In the combined version it sounds like you favored the DAW over the NP version?

For this excerpt I thought the NP version sounded very good. Even the parts of stock NP that most don't like as well sounded fine to me. It's really well balanced and all the articulations come through very clearly. But the DAW mockup has a fullness to it that's appealing and of course some of the individual sounds might be a bit better.

So I wonder what a combined version that favors NP would sound like? Also you could audition some of the NPPE's for those libraries and see what you think (HOOPUS and Cinematic Studio Series).

I share your enthusiasm about NP too!

Welcome to the NP party!

Loved your test piece! To be clear, this was without NPPE? Berlin Studio did wonders in that case! I'll have to try that.

I often feel like NP default sound vs DAW comes down to "if you spend x hours in the DAW, it sounds 10% better". Are those 10% worth it? Sometimes yes, sometimes no!

I'm not sure which one I prefer, but the hits around 0:31 sounded a bit metallic in the DAW version.

How much time was spent on mocking it up in the DAW?
Thanks! NP version is just default sounds, with Berlin inserted on the master channel in dorico before the compressor, with source set to 0db, surround set to -9db, tail set to 85 percent, er set to 60 percent. Room and ab mics off.

I was amazed at the default NP version. Was such a pleasure to write and sound good with zero effort. I agree, daw version is only 10 to 20 percent better in this instance.

Writing took about 45 mins. Daw mockup took about three hours. And probably needs another hour to mix properly, but I lost interest :)

In the combined version it sounds like you favored the DAW over the NP version?

For this excerpt I thought the NP version sounded very good. Even the parts of stock NP that most don't like as well sounded fine to me. It's really well balanced and all the articulations come through very clearly. But the DAW mockup has a fullness to it that's appealing and of course some of the individual sounds might be a bit better.

So I wonder what a combined version that favors NP would sound like? Also you could audition some of the NPPE's for those libraries and see what you think (HOOPUS and Cinematic Studio Series).

I share your enthusiasm about NP too!
I agree, the np is perfectly acceptable. I haven't run it through the various nppe, must do that. I'll record the results and post them up!

As someone new to reverb plugins, is the Berlin Studio used here the one by Samplicity? Did you use it on completely dry NP sounds or was it added on top of NP's own reverb?

As someone new to reverb plugins, is the Berlin Studio used here the one by Samplicity? Did you use it on completely dry NP sounds or was it added on top of NP's own reverb?
Added on top of NP own reverb in my example. In theory, you could disable NP own reverb, and add an instance of Berlin Studio to each of the instrument channels and setup the Main and Surround mics and choose the instrument location... but, in the limited testing I did so far, it doesn't seem worth it, it's like 2% better than just using the built in reverb and adding surround splosh from berlin on the master channel.

Top Bottom