What's new

NI Symphony Series-- Still not so great?

SO! I was going to confuse the waters more and say to download VSL prime, blah blah blah. But I believe we just found the solution. EW OPUS like @dzilizzi and others said is such a complete orchestra, AND... the Labor Day sale is on. 60% OFF. It doesn't get better than this at BF. You can get the entire orchestra for 398 bucks, are you bloody kidding me. I'd buy it right now... 'cept I already own it. Here you go!

I'd try a free trial of Musio from Cinesamples. I just got a subscription myself and am having fun exploring it.

Another option might be BBCSO Core (when on sale) + a loud brass library like the 8dio Century Brass ensemble and solo bundle (which is currently on sale).

What kind of orchestral compositions do you want to make? Do you need traditional sections and solo instruments, or would you be OK with just high and low sections like with Ark1? I ask this because Spitfire Albion 1 is a popular option and Project Sam has some great sounding packages. 8dio Majestica 2.0 is currently on sale for $120.

The Orchestra Complete from Sonuscore looks interesting.

If you are a "synthy" sort of music maker, you might like the Arturia Augmented series. You actually get a lot with the free demo versions.

This free orchestra may be fun to play with: https://www.synful.com/

Oh wow, this got a lot of replies. First off thanks all, I'll try to respond to everything so far in a short-ish message since it's late here and I won't be able to respond again til tomorrow.

First, thanks for the consistency warnings for NI Symphonic Series. There are definitely a lot of other cool things in Komplete that are appealing to me as well, but I'll likely only be able to go either a second-hand Komplete or an orchestral library (maybe two if they're two "cheaper" ones) so I'll probably forego it for now. Thanks though @MartinH. for the offer, appreciated of course. :emoji_relaxed:

As for HO Opus, have considered that before, I tried it out but something is just off to me about the sound, so I will very likely not be getting that. VSL, the same, just not quite for me.

As for MA1, yes, for better or worse it is a little limited in its own way, but I reckon if I got it this year, next year (or maybe sooner, who knows) I'd be able to get something that could do "softer" and have a better selection of woodwinds. It's a compromise I think I could make.

As for Iconica, thanks for the recommendation-- I had half-forgotten about it, so I'll check it out again. It does have a nice sound, though I'm not sure how aggressive I could push it to-- most of the demos I've heard of it so far have been mostly softer, but from the louder parts of those, it sounds like it can do big and bold. (I also like the fact that it could be potentially resold in the future, an option many other libraries don't give...)

Any opinions on Nucleus compared to Iconica (I think I can already tell the differences to MA1 well enough)? @Trash Panda do you have both? I may be mistaken but I thought I might have seen you post something about Nucleus... I like the sound enough, though it does lack a little "oomf", but again I could supplement that later on. A bit more restricted in articulations, but has all the basics, a good sound, even a simple choir. Audio Imperia also seems like a good company judging by how I've seen they apparently keep updating their libraries-- and then they also offer some nice crossgrade discounts...

Of course I won't decide on anything for sure until Black Friday and I see the deals-- I could decide I'd like to go with Nucleus but it turns out the sale on MA1 is much better, or vice versa, etc. But best to be aware of what would really be a good option for me and what would not beforehand I suppose :emoji_sweat_smile:

Any opinions on Nucleus compared to Iconica (I think I can already tell the differences to MA1 well enough)? @Trash Panda do you have both? I may be mistaken but I thought I might have seen you post something about Nucleus... I like the sound enough, though it does lack a little "oomf", but again I could supplement that later on. A bit more restricted in articulations, but has all the basics, a good sound, even a simple choir. Audio Imperia also seems like a good company judging by how I've seen they apparently keep updating their libraries-- and then they also offer some nice crossgrade discounts...
As much as I love Audio Imperia, and as much as Nucleus was my first love, after 3 years of the orchestral sample game, I’d choose Iconica at $400 over Nucleus.

As for MA1, yes, for better or worse it is a little limited in its own way, but I reckon if I got it this year, next year (or maybe sooner, who knows) I'd be able to get something that could do "softer" and have a better selection of woodwinds. It's a compromise I think I could make.
Hmmm... maybe. I'm more inclined to think you'll run into gaps that you don't expect with this library, and get frustrated.

It's one of those libraries that does one thing very well, but really isn't very flexible. For example, there aren't that many legato patches. And if you then buy MA2 which has a lot of softer stuff in it, I think even these two libs together are going to be limiting, because they are ensembles. Also, the MA series is pretty expensive, even for a single library.

MA is not my recommendation as a starting library, unless you really specifically want that sound. I'd always recommend starting with one of the generalised library nowadays, because these are now very good.

Suggest you get the following, in this order:
  1. One of: BBCSO, Opus, Iconica, Synchron Prime, Musio, Berlin Orchestra (or Inspires), etc.
  2. If you liked the experience, follow up with a good quality string library.

If OP don't like HO or Prime I would suggest trying Musio instead - whole orchestra and much more - the whole palette of sounds!) Or go BBCSO Core/SSO Core way.

There are some good things that can be said about it:

The percussion has smoothing and damping technology for the cymbals that make playing in your own rolls sound like real crescendos. The only other lib that I know that has realistic real time roll smoothing like this is SD3 Orchestral Percussion, but I can't compare them. Drums also have "Drum Head Resonance Simulation" which are mid-phrase hits recorded separately from the initial hits. This is also a pretty unique feature as far as I know.

The strings have true, comprehensive divisi sections, and I think the only other string libs that have this are LASS (only 1 dry mic position) and MSS (subpar tone to some). I don't think the legatos are bad, as shown by the Spitfire comparison video above.

Solo brass has optional (fake, I assume) vibrato that can be used in a pinch on instruments where this is rarely sampled like the french horn.

Lastly the UI on these instruments is really impressive, it makes it very clear what's happening at all times.

Last edited:
If you are notation user, I'd try MuseScore 4 first before spending any money. Musescore 4 comes with Muse Sounds for free, a full orchestra that's pretty good quality, a bit like getting to use a basic Staff Pad library for free. I'd recommend it as a place to start, and a lot less fiddling around with CCs and key switches which saves a lot of time while composing, and save your money till you start to feel limited by it, it's much better than you'd expect - if it wasn't a lead to get you into the Musescore world it would probably sell for at least 1k.

I say this having done that all backwards, and starting with Cinematic Studio Series, getting Pacific, using Logic X, getting Dorico Pro, setting up articulation maps, etc. Learned a lot about the technology of samples, automation, etc, but none of that was really composing. All very cool and glad to have learned it and explored that world (and continue to), but kind of did things in reverse (plus also RAM and SSDs etc), end up spending a lot. MS runs pretty well with just 8GB and it's honestly what I turn to most days!

Last edited:
EW Hollywood Orchestra Opus. It is on sale all the time. It has everything. Seriously, if you are going "cheap" this is the best. Go get it from some place like JRRShop (use GROUP or FORUM discount codes) or one of the other ones that I am blanking on now.
Nice to see you, Lizzie!

I think there’s something like that on Audiodeluxe too right?
It is not actually a "cheap" orchestra, just old so they price is a lot lower than equivalent libraries.
Absolutely! I love the tone of it I was kinda impressed by what I saw but I need to first get a SSD so I can buy it. On the other hand, I wonder if they offer the ssd delivery option, just like the Spitfire.

All on sale right now, but may go even cheaper in the future. All excellent libraries.

All on sale right now, but may go even cheaper in the future. All excellent libraries.

💓 Claire Woodwinds .... ❣️

The only problem with MA1 is it is not a full orchestra. There are no woodwinds.
There are no Woodwinds? I thought they have Bassoons & something else maybe I gotta check that out.
I know it used to be old VSL stuff, but I think that changed with 14?
I don’t have Komplete at all but bought Kontakt when they introduced the new version 7 with the OT’s factory library. I didn’t get the old Kontakt Library maybe if you buy 7, you only get the OT library but I think can we request & see if they provide a download?

I'm going to say something really odd to most people here, but here it is.

If it had been possible at the time, I'd known what I know now, and it wasn't so frickin' expensive, I would've liked to have gone for Steinberg's Iconica as a first library. I now start everything I write from the Ensembles.

Sections and Players is currently on sale for 400.

Because, why on earth would we make this simple for you eh?
I like this one but you need Halion.

Any opinions on Nucleus compared to Iconica
Well, the major difference I see is the articulations. And the mic positions too, I think. On the other hand, Iconica was not recorded actually at their regular Teldex I think. But it really has a beautiful tone. I think it can do from soft to loud & you would need the free Halion player & OT does the job pretty good. I particularly love the Timpani & the Winds.

Check out the Walkthru by Don Bodin.
Audio Imperia also seems like a good company judging by how I've seen they apparently keep updating their libraries-- and then they also offer some nice crossgrade discounts...

Of course I won't decide on anything for sure until Black Friday and I see the deals-- I could decide I'd like to go with Nucleus but it turns out the sale on MA1 is much better, or vice versa, etc. But best to be aware of what would really be a good option for me and what would not beforehand I suppose :emoji_sweat_smile:
I think NI does the Arks sale but those for Kontakt. If you would like a Sine Player sale, well, have anyone seen the Arks go on sale, for the Sine Player?

Top Bottom