What's new

[NEW] Synchron Prime Edition: Free World Winds Expansion!

I'm very impressed. What a great way this will be to get started with Vienna!

As my orchestral needs are quite light, this is something for me to consider as a main orchestral workhorse library. Having close mics and a dry library is ideal for me.

Another brilliant release from VSL, sounds great!
@Ben any ideas what the upgrade/crossgrade pricing will be after the intro price is ended?

Somerset Rhapsody as a Demo - nice choice! Love Holst. WOW

Are these Winds, Brass, Percussion - are they same velocity layers, sampling quality ... and such as their full counterparts - just limited articulation and mic choices?

Nice release, just bought it because of the low crossgrade price. And to get the harp and the celeste, which aren't available in the BBO subsets. Still missing the marimba.

In my opinion, it's a good starting library. The nearest competitor would be OT Berlin Orchestra (by Berklee), because of the individual solo instruments in the brass and woods section. Only thing missing, for me, is vibraphone and solo strings (but I understand we don't have a dedicated SYNCHRON library yet). Maybe a piano, too, like in the SYNCHRON-ized SE.

From a marketing point of view: I'm familiar with VSL's catalogue, no problem. But with this release, I feel it's becoming more and more complicated for new users to distinguish between the SE, SYNCHRON-ized SE and Prime Edition and even BBO. Just my feeling.

Nice release, just bought it because of the low crossgrade price. And to get the harp and the celeste, which aren't available in the BBO subsets. Still missing the marimba.

In my opinion, it's a good starting library. The nearest competitor would be OT Berlin Orchestra (by Berklee), because of the individual solo instruments in the brass and woods section. Only thing missing, for me, is vibraphone and solo strings (but I understand we don't have a dedicated SYNCHRON library yet). Maybe a piano, too, like in the SYNCHRON-ized SE.

From a marketing point of view: I'm familiar with VSL's catalogue, no problem. But with this release, I feel it's becoming more and more complicated for new users to distinguish between the SE, SYNCHRON-ized SE and Prime Edition and even BBO. Just my feeling.
It really is!

By the way: In general I'm not that fond of VSL's demo tracks. As I'm a John Williams fanboy, I do like Erik's demo. Well done! Same is true for his other demo for the woods.

Just went through all the instruments: With the solo instruments you can decide between senza and con vibrato, but not with the strings. VSL should really consider to integrate the molto vibrato patches. Then it's a really good all-rounder.

Can anyone tell me the RAM useage differences between the same template using the same patches between standard Synchron libs vs Prime? correct me if I’m wrong, but it should be half given that Prime is running 2 mics vs the 4 that come with standard Synchron libraries, correct?

Are the dynamic layers between standard Synchron libs and Prime the same, or is Prime reduced? I’m guessing its the same as VSL mention the ability to write using Prime, and then later load the full versions for more mic/mixing control. If they didnt have the same dynamic layers it’s possible different samples would be triggered which could change the performance of your mockup, but would also like confirmation on this.

Curious for any real world examples as RAM is my biggest issue when composing on a laptop. Anyone willing to load up their Synchron template and replace the same patches with Prime and report back on the RAM usage?

Also, are there any tutti patches for winds? Seeing as how VSL listed Strings & Brass as having a tutti patch (use that patch all the time in the Synchron library) I really hope they have the same for woodwinds in prime and hopefully just forgot to mention it?! If not, any chance of adding one? Tutti patches for a sketching tool are very helpful IMO.

I was given the price 95 when logging in yesterday, so I planned to buy it today. But today my price has been increased to 275. Given this, I will hold off from buying.

Last edited:

I agree to every single point of this post.

The closest product to directly compare Synchron Prime with is Berlin Orchestra (Berklee), since the samples for both libraries are taken from very expensive flagship libraries, and both include many individual solo woodwinds and brass instruments.

I think that a Marimba and a Vibraphone really need to be added, since they both are essential melodic percussion instruments.

Also the piano included in the SYNCHRON-ized SE is missing here. It's the lite version of a Synchron piano, so imho it fits this collection (Synchron Prime) even better than it fits the SYNCHRON-ized SE! It's a pity they skipped it here.

Seeing that SYNCHRON-ized SE has extra volumes for people that want to expand it, hopefully the same will happen with Synchron Prime. Synchron Solo Strings are not yet available, but chamber strings are (Elite). So if they add a second volume containing i.e. the Concert Grand Lite, marimba, vibraphone and 4 woodwinds sections (3 flutes, 3 oboes, 3 clarinets, 3 bassoons) then it would really be a complete premium starter orchestral library. :)

Can anyone tell me the RAM useage differences between the same template using the same patches between standard Synchron libs vs Prime? correct me if I’m wrong, but it should be half given that Prime is running 2 mics vs the 4 that come with standard Synchron libraries, correct?

Are the dynamic layers between standard Synchron libs and Prime the same, or is Prime reduced? I’m guessing its the same as VSL mention the ability to write using Prime, and then later load the full versions for more mic/mixing control. If they didnt have the same dynamic layers it’s possible different samples would be triggered which could change the performance of your mockup, but would also like confirmation on this.

Curious for any real world examples as RAM is my biggest issue when composing on a laptop. Anyone willing to load up their Synchron template and replace the same patches with Prime and report back on the RAM usage?

Also, are there any tutti patches for winds? Seeing as how VSL listed Strings & Brass as having a tutti patch (use that patch all the time in the Synchron library) I really hope they have the same for woodwinds in prime and hopefully just forgot to mention it?! If not, any chance of adding one? Tutti patches for a sketching tool are very helpful IMO.
Should be even less as there are less articulations. The system requirements said 8GB minimum, 16GB recommended. SSP is 16GB minimum 32GB recommended.

Someone knows if Prime included same dyn layers from the mains for all sections and individual presented, and it’s only reduced by articulations and mic/mixes choice?

Buying Synchron Harp (Standard) gives you any discount?

Is the crossgrade prices of 275 & 95 euro a limited time or sale offer? Or will this always be the crossgrade price if you qualify?

I was given the price 95 when logging in yesterday, so I planned to buy it today. But today my price has been increased to 275. Given this, I will hold off from buying.
Try BestService I did right away and with a few bucks in the best coin my price was USD 86.34

Someone knows if Prime included same dyn layers from the mains for all sections and individual presented, and it’s only reduced by articulations and mic/mixes choice?

Buying Synchron Harp (Standard) gives you any discount?
It did yesterday but now it doesn't.

I believe it is same dynamic layers for strings and woods, reduced for some instruments in the brass and percussion.

Top Bottom