What's new

New member seeking input on these tracks. :)

chrisscheja

Hi, my name´s Chris

and although I´m still a newbie I am considering just giving up.

I started off without any knowledge and decided to become a film composer.
Not that easy, and of course it didn´t work out.

So now I thought maybe production music...
Didn´t work out either yet.

Here are 2 versions I´ve done in the past, the first one with the given advice of a professional, the second one just the way I liked it on the first hand.

What do you think, no talent at all, or should I keep on trying?
Thanks for your advice :)

Chris

Both Film Composing and Music Production are disciplines that take years to master, so don’t feel bad about it taking time. I’m not sure how long you’ve been doing this, but I don’t think you lack talent.

BTW, your first video is set to not display on other websites. Might wanna change that in the YouTube settings for that video. I think I like the first video better.

Talent doesn't exist :)

It's all about hard work. Keep going!

The first video is not available btw.

Both Film Composing and Music Production are disciplines that take years to master, so don’t feel bad about it taking time. I’m not sure how long you’ve been doing this, but I don’t think you lack talent.

BTW, your first video is set to not display on other websites. Might wanna change that in the YouTube settings for that video. I think I like the first video better.
Thank you Jose for your reply and advice,

I just bought an old keyboard from a friend of mine 3 yrs ago, having had no clue about music theory at all.

And I will take the time and effort on getting better, no matter how long.

Thank you, I really was considering giving up, but film and music are my greatest passion, so I won´t give up :)

Thanks Jeremy,

actually I don´t know why.

I applied to student films or small projects here in Germany, but I think without a master´s degree one would get no chance at all.

Then I tried to apply to US production music companies, maybe in the wrong form or my music was / is still too amateurish, I don´t know and actually it´s hard to judge oneself´s music.

I did so many rescores in all kinds of genre, I guess, over the past 2 years.

That´s why I was reaching out, but I won´t give up, finally I found what I want to do.

Could you give me an advice how to get into sync music or getting a chance to work on a project?

Thank You,

Chris

There is a wealth of information on getting into sync/production music at the 52 Cues (Dave Kropf's) site and YT channel. You don't have to sign up or subscribe to get access to a lot of great advice. There is also a global community of very active folks on the web forum, including folks from Germany.

https://www.youtube.com/c/davekropf

Last edited:
I applied to student films or small projects here in Germany, but I think without a master´s degree one would get no chance at all.
I don’t have any formal music training, that is a myth.

The key is to get some credits under your belt, and that generally gets obtained by seeking local independent film groups, etc. Munich is probably full of these groups! You can also contact local post production companies and explain that you would like to gain some experience composing music to picture. Just keep pounding the pavement, you will eventually find something relevant. It’s all more about self marketing and luck, as opposed to talent. It’s also important to understand how to use the features in your DAW when it comes to scoring to picture and delivering stems.

I also noticed you only have a LinkedIn page and a YouTube channel, I highly recommend investing in a proper website that puts you in more of a professional light.

With regards to production music, it’s important to read their submission guidelines and understand what they are looking for. Have a listen to their top tracks and go from there. If your music doesn’t sound on par with what’s on their site, you already know that rejection is eminent. Persistence is key, if you submit to say 50 libraries, you may get a bite from one of them; or at very least get on their briefing list. It’s a saturated market so you need to be constantly writing and submitting. Many libraries take several weeks or even months to get back to you if they are interested.

Just keep going! I can tell you from personal experience that it is a lifelong process that is always changing and evolving.

I don’t have any formal music training, that is a myth.

The key is to get some credits under your belt, and that generally gets obtained by seeking local independent film groups, etc. Munich is probably full of these groups! You can also contact local post production companies and explain that you would like to gain some experience composing music to picture. Just keep pounding the pavement, you will eventually find something relevant. It’s all more about self marketing and luck, as opposed to talent. It’s also important to understand how to use the features in your DAW when it comes to scoring to picture and delivering stems.

I also noticed you only have a LinkedIn page and a YouTube channel, I highly recommend investing in a proper website that puts you in more of a professional light.

With regards to production music, it’s important to read their submission guidelines and understand what they are looking for. Have a listen to their top tracks and go from there. If your music doesn’t sound on par with what’s on their site, you already know that rejection is eminent. Persistence is key, if you submit to say 50 libraries, you may get a bite from one of them; or at very least get on their briefing list. It’s a saturated market so you need to be constantly writing and submitting. Many libraries take several weeks or even months to get back to you if they are interested.

Just keep going! I can tell you from personal experience that it is a lifelong process that is always changing and evolving.
Thanks Jeremy, great advice and tips, I am going to work on that.
I am already receiving requests from one company, hopefully I´ll be lucky once.
I think I`ll also have to work on my musical skills first and get better in orchestration and mixing.
Have a great weekend!

Top Bottom