What's new

My frustration with midi strings

You might need to define what you mean by "convincingly".

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume what you're finding is that velocity-mapped staccatos for the the 16ths sound fine but when you want the same kind of attack on a longer note, the articulations available don't make that possible. Is that right?

You also have the issue that you can't get these articulations into the same DAW lane. That is going to be tricky with different libraries and a lot depends on the DAW. Weirdly, though it's broadly not a great choice for orchestral work, Ableton Live's racks make it possible to combine multiple instruments in a single track and use automation to switch between them. I don't think Studio One does that but could be wrong as I have almost zero knowledge of what's in Studio One.

However, if your core issue is wrangling articulations, the lack of one-lane control may simply be a side issue that you just have to live with. This is particularly true if you need better control over the sustain patches as one technique for getting a sharper attack on a longer note is to simply trigger a short and long at the same time, with the short at a lower velocity to prevent it sticking out too far. For that reason alone, you're going to need more than one DAW lane.

However, before you are presented with a rapidly growing shopping list, it would be better if you can go through the problems you're having. For example, you may find that some of your issues are more due to orchestration choices that make the shortcomings of the sample libraries more obvious.
Thank you, and I think you articulated (no pun intended) exactly my frustration. These are first world problems and I suspect your suggestion that I'll just have to live with multi-lane workarounds is probably right. As I go through this process, I'm learning that loading up lots of different libraries to solve a problem I can probably fix (or finesse) on my own only serves to distract me from doing some more in-depth work on the stuff I already have.

I can't seem, amongst my various string libraries, to get a single string sample that can handle both staccato and legato in the same lane. I'm not well positioned to pull down really expensive VST's, maybe that's my problem, but I can't seem to get any of my string samples to do both 16th notes and half notes convincingly.

Sorry if this sounds kinda dumb. I must be doing it wrong....
Audiobro Modern Scoring strings has this feature. Called Marcato, on the shorts articulations, trigger it and the note will play a sustained note following the staccato one.
And if it were not enough, you also have an articulations layering.

You need CSS
That's usually the library I recommend too for someone who wants to buy only one, relatively simple-to-use string library that sounds good and offers more than just legatos. There are other libraries out there which may be more impressive in terms of features etc, but CSS is a main workhorse for many users of this forum.

Hey, this might work !!! Thanks much, John. I was using Epic Strings as single chord hits, but this patch is nice.
You might also want to look into Hyperion Strings Micro. If I'm being entirely truthful I don't love the timbre but I prefer it to epic strings and there is the added bonus of legato, dry recordings, and more control over some of the more technical sample aspects.

These days, Kirk Hunter Concert Strings Adaptive. One patch gets it done for me a large percentage of the time.

When it doesn’t’ have the sound I need or enough articulations I still reach for either HS or CSS and when I want a small gorgeous sordino legato for my pop songs, Scene d’Amour from Afflatus Strings. Chapter 2, but that library is pricey.

Full disclosure, I have received NFRs on all of those, so I haven’t explored offerings from OT or Spitfire.

Thanks for all your recommendations, fellow travelers! Whenever I feel like I know what I'm doing, I come out here to get my ration of humble pie. Learning to crawl isn't always satisfying, but it's better than sitting still. Cheers.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your recommendations, fellow travelers! Whenever I feel like I know what I'm doing, I come out here to get my ration of humble pie. Learning to crawl isn't always satisfying, but it's better than siting still. Cheers.
The day you stop learning is the day you might as well pack it in.

Top Bottom