What's new

Multiple Hard Drive Best Practices: Partitions, Libraries, Data and Mitigating Streaming Bottlenecks in an NVMe and SSD setup

But this will not automatically copy the data from 2TB to the 4TB one, or will it?

But this will not automatically copy the data from 2TB to the 4TB one, or will it?
When a drive is removed from the pool, StableBit DrivePool will move all of the unprotected pooled files stored on it onto a different drive that's part of the pool.

StableBit DrivePool will also regenerate every protected file part that is on the disk being removed (unless Duplicate files later was selected).

Then, the virtual pool drive shrinks in capacity by the size of the drive that was removed.

Ahh, gotcha! That was the missing link. Once a drive is part of the pool and removed, then the "removed" data will be moved. Awesome, thanks!

When a drive is removed from the pool, StableBit DrivePool will move all of the unprotected pooled files stored on it onto a different drive that's part of the pool.

StableBit DrivePool will also regenerate every protected file part that is on the disk being removed (unless Duplicate files later was selected).

Then, the virtual pool drive shrinks in capacity by the size of the drive that was removed.
I have no idea if this is related (I really hope not), but opening Kontakt seems to take a bit longer than before. Talking about the GUI only here. Loading samples seems to be at the same speed.
Can you say how fast your GUI opens, when you clicked on it?

I have no idea if this is related (I really hope not), but opening Kontakt seems to take a bit longer than before. Talking about the GUI only here. Loading samples seems to be at the same speed.
Can you say how fast your GUI opens, when you clicked on it?
No issues with Kontakt here….what did you change?

Actually nothing, I only moved all my libs into the drivepool. But something tells me, that the issue comes from something else...

Actually nothing with the directories changed, I assigned the same drive letter to the drivepool drive than I used before. Meaning: everything is in place.
I also fixed some broken links in the quick load directory. But that didn't do much, unfortunately.

To clarify:

Spitfire App Just looks for X: Spitfire

Sine just looks for X: Sine

Native Instruments just looks for X: Native Instruments

It complete negates the anything to do with missing samples...

Its a clean powerful way to manage your storage on windows.

And I really do wonder why people fanny about multiple drives on windows....

Say your windows machine dies and you have to reinstall windows...Native access can be back up running in seconds as no potential drive letters have changed.

D: has changed to E: for example and native instruments is throwing a tantrum cause it can't find samples.

Same with spitfire. You install the spitfire app point it to X: Spitfire and BOOM all your libraries are back online without fuss.
Question for you @easyrider: why do you use drive letter (X)?

I would tend to use the logic: I know my System Drive is going to be (C) - and the next most important data is my files - so my Drivepool could be (D). All other drive letter (if and when necessary) would come after that.

Thoughts?

Question for you @easyrider: why do you use drive letter (X)?

I would tend to use the logic: I know my System Drive is going to be (C) - and the next most important data is my files - so my Drivepool could be (D). All other drive letter (if and when necessary) would come after that.

Thoughts?
So the pool doesn’t interfere with usb drives etc… it’s way down on the list.

1. Use the drop-down menu to assign a new drive letter.Quick tip: To avoid the system trying to assign the same letter to another drive, it's a good idea to start adding letters in backward order. For instance, instead of using D, E or F, it better to start with Z, Y or X when assigning a new letter.

So the pool doesn’t interfere with usb drives etc… it’s way down on the list.

1. Use the drop-down menu to assign a new drive letter.Quick tip: To avoid the system trying to assign the same letter to another drive, it's a good idea to start adding letters in backward order. For instance, instead of using D, E or F, it better to start with Z, Y or X when assigning a new letter.
I'm not sure I understand...

Are you saying that, if I plug in a USB drive, that the letter could take precedence of the DrivePool assigned letter? Forgive my ignorance, but how does DrivePool manage its drive letters versus Windows?

PS - I dont use permanent external drives on my system

I'm not sure I understand...

Are you saying that, if I plug in a USB drive, that the letter could take precedence of the DrivePool assigned letter? Forgive my ignorance, but how does DrivePool manage its drive letters versus Windows?

PS - I dont use permanent external drives on my system
Drivepool doesn’t manage drive letters….windows does.

Assigning a high drive letter like X: for the pool is best practice.

You're getting bogged down by minutia and overthinking it.

C: For windows

X Y or Z for drivepool

thats it.

Makes things cleaner when adding new drives to the pool.

Thanks @easyrider,

Switching to a pooled solution is a fundamental change in my data management, across several systems. My "overthinking" will hopefully allow me to get it right the first time. If I am relocating my sample, library and data paths, that's something I'd prefer to only do once.

That being said, I don't see the benefit of choosing a "higher letter" - certainly if I can assign letters manually in Drive Manager.

As I understand it, you can also hide individual drives so you only see the pooled drive letter in Windows - I assume this is what most people would want. But is there an advantage to keeping those drive letters? Is this the reason why you choose a higher letter?

Thanks @easyrider,

Switching to a pooled solution is a fundamental change in my data management, across several systems. My "overthinking" will hopefully allow me to get it right the first time. If I am relocating my sample, library and data paths, that's something I'd prefer to only do once.

That being said, I don't see the benefit of choosing a "higher letter" - certainly if I can assign letters manually in Drive Manager.

As I understand it, you can also hide individual drives so you only see the pooled drive letter in Windows - I assume this is what most people would want. But is there an advantage to keeping those drive letters? Is this the reason why you choose a higher letter?
Keep Your Drivepool Letter high…

XYZ

👍

Filling your system drive up with sample data is a bad idea not just from a performance perspective but from a data management one.

The default install for developers is C but this is not because its the best directory to use.

Storing large amounts of data on C drive makes backups more complex and slow, just like storing data on your desktop makes loading times for windows slow.

There literally is no reason to store samples or document data on the system drive in 2022.

I have my C drive for windows and programs and thats it.

Samples are stored on multiple SSD's pooled together into one drive volume labelled X:

I use Stablebit drive pool

This means...Kontakt, Native access, Spitfire player, Orchestral Tools sine juts focus on one drive letter X:

Windows drive becomes corrupt? I don't care... I can format and reinstall windows from an image file and point eveyting to X: in seconds.

I can add SSD's to the pool in seconds and all the sample players are unaffected and X: just gets expanded.

Here is an example Drivepool X:

YnXOMwe.jpg

As said samples on Mine are stored by Vendor

Drivepool X:

Spitfire
Native Instruments
Audio Imperia

etc...

My pool currently is a mixture of 2 x 2TB SSD and 1 X 4 TB for a drive pool of 8TB

Now all you have to do in the future in mange one drive letter X for everything. You just ignore the other drives completely. You can even hide them in windows so you dont see them.

So my a new spitfire library you down load it to Drivepool X: Spitfire

Point Native Access to Drivepool X: Native Access

Point OT Sine to Drivepool X: Sine

etc....

Makes things so easy to manage as all your sample are now on one single volume called Drivepool X:

Backup are super easy as you dont need to remember directories any more and makes backing up super simple.

I backup my Drivepool to a server also running Drivepool

wZUdczY.jpg

Start running out of space on the pool? No problem just install new SSD in PC add the drive to the existing drivepool and voila the drivepool expands in seconds.

Want to remove a drive from the pool? No problem just remove it as long as there is enough free space in the pool to migrate the data.

PC dies one day? No problem you can access the data from any computer wether it has drivepool installed or not.

I'm down to 705GB free on my Pool and looking to add another 4TB SSD come amazon prime sales time. I dont have to do anything with my samples or data. I just add the 4TB SSD to the pool and the pool expands without me having to faff with moving files etc.

Hope this helps.
Mac alternative?

Top Bottom