What's new

Monitor Controller Opinions

Jeremy Spencer

Need advice from the guru's. I'm adding a set of monitors to my setup and need a transparent controller that won't break the bank. I have an original Mackie BK that I took out of service years ago....when I realized how much it altered the signal. Here's what I've narrowed it down to.

SCC-ART Studio Monitor Controller

Heritage Audio Baby Ram

Mackie Big Knob (the new passive version)

If these are all crap, I'll just hold off until I can spend more on a decent unit such as a Drawmer. I just need something that isn't going to colour the sound like that old Mackie did.

Thanks!

I had this one for a while and loved it. Great build quality, German designed and loved the feel of the knob which is more important that I originally thought, lol:

I'm sure it's available on other sites. The only reason I got rid of it was because I went for a Neumann 2.1 system and now I only switch back and forth between that and headphnes, and now use the RME ARC controller as my big master volume. Hated selling the ESI but I just didn't need it any longer. To me it didn't color the sound when I used it.

Here's the manufacturer's site for more info, if interested:

Last edited:
I had this one for a while and loved it. Great build quality, German designed and loved the feel of the knob which is more important that I originally thought, lol:

I'm sure it's available on other sites. The only reason I got rid of it was because I went for a Neumann 2.1 system and now I only switch back and forth between that and headphnes, and now use the RME ARC controller as my big master volume. Hated selling the ESI but I just didn't need it any longer. To me it didn't color the sound when I used it.

Here's the manufacturer's site for more info, if interested:

Thanks! I've never come across that one and is reasonably priced.

Alternately, I may just decide not to use my second set of monitors after all, as I'm getting decent mixes with my current setup.

A big reason I moved from a PreSonus Monitor Station controller (that used ganged pots to control signal level) to the Audient Nero was the terrible L-R tracking of the PreSonus... I couldn't rely on the stereo image because it shifted as I adjusted volume.

I like the Nero and have been using it for several years now, but if you don't need the features it and other controllers provide, like headphone amps and talkback mic input, the Heritage might be a good choice because it uses a stepped attenuator for volume control. If properly executed, this approach should provide much more accurate L-R balance across its range.

PS: The Monitor Station has powerful headphone amps, much more so than the Nero. Might be a consideration, too.

Thanks for all the input! I picked up a Mackie Big Knob at the local music store to give it a go (30-day refund policy). After reading so many negative reviews online, I was ready to be disappointed. However, I am pleasantly surprised. Did several tests to check for any colouring, etc, and for the life of me could not detect anything. So if anyone is considering one of these, I recommend you try one out for yourself. Inexpensive and has a solid build quality. If this didn't work out, my second trial would have been the Heritage Audio Baby Ram, which they also had in stock but for 3x the price of the Mackie. Tried one briefly in the store, and it's considerable larger than The Mackie, and I'm not a fan of the stepped volume knob.

I'm not a fan of the stepped volume knob.
Stepped volume knobs usually (or hopefully) mean that they're using a resistor array rather than a pot. If so, that's a great feature, because especially with cheaper pots the image can shift at very low levels.

You can also repeat the level exactly with resistor arrays.

My monitor controllers - plural because I picked up a second Blue Sky BMC - use digitally-controlled analog circuitry, so the levels are repeatable. They also have a delay when you power them on, avoiding speaker thumps, as well as some other features such as built-in crossovers to the Blue Sky sub (which you can use instead of the crossovers in the satellite speakers and control the levels or mute the sub).

Unfortunately they're not made anymore. Oh, and they handle up to 5.1 setups.

If you change your mind here's another vote for the Nero. It specifically calls out no difference in L/R signals as you adjust the volume and this is a big deal for me. It's very much a transparent device.

Thanks for all the input! I picked up a Mackie Big Knob at the local music store to give it a go (30-day refund policy). After reading so many negative reviews online, I was ready to be disappointed. However, I am pleasantly surprised. Did several tests to check for any colouring, etc, and for the life of me could not detect anything. So if anyone is considering one of these, I recommend you try one out for yourself. Inexpensive and has a solid build quality. If this didn't work out, my second trial would have been the Heritage Audio Baby Ram, which they also had in stock but for 3x the price of the Mackie. Tried one briefly in the store, and it's considerable larger than The Mackie, and I'm not a fan of the stepped volume knob.
Heya, I currently have a fancy shmanzy relay controlled controller that is great, can't complain, but I used to have the Big Knob with which I made many albums of which sound I'm still happy about today.
There is a slight coloration but honestly it is minimal and it is a great, rugged and malleable product.

I use the smaller, passive big knob and am now thinking I want to upgrade due to recent additions to my rig....mainly want to have easy control of speakers, sub,... unless I'm mistaken, the other big knobs are also audio interfaces, which I do not need...it's the older models that are appealing to me just being monitor controllers...the Nero looks amazing...features I can't imagine using now...but I've said that before and here I am! Another that was of interest but not enough outputs is the presonus micro station bt.... I like the Bluetooth/wireless feature, but I don't know any others that have Bluetooth...

Top Bottom