What's new

Mod-wheel/Pitch-wheel sliders on UIs

d.healey

Libre Wave
A number of sample players have little mod-wheel and pitch-wheel indicators next to their on screen keyboard that show you the position of those hardware controls.

Do they have any purpose other than being a visual indicator?

A number of sample players have little mod-wheel and pitch-wheel indicators next to their on screen keyboard that show you the position of those hardware controls.

You can sometimes use your mouse on them. But really I think they serve as visual feedback and I dislike instruments and programs that make use of CCs mapped to controllers that offer no visual feedback.

Not everyone has their MIDI controller or keyboard in front of them when they compose or audition sounds. Their keyboard might be off to the side, or perhaps they are traveling and they just have their laptop available to compose with.

Having a way to audition sounds by playing them with a qwerty keyboard and controlling the pitch bend and CC1 information with a mouse/trackpad is useful in these situations.

For people like me, who own a digital piano that doesn't have a pitch bend wheel, I will actually use the pitch bend UI element in the sample player.

If anyone knows of a stand alone pitch bend wheel that I can pair with my digital piano, I'd be interested in that.

I reckon ~90% of MIDI routing/config/"mystery reset" problems can be sorted by looking at the virtual keyboard and (especially) mod wheel. I'm not sure it's up to individual plugins to donate their precious screen space to such a cause, though :)

Top Bottom