What's new

Melodicas under $200

Wally Garten

I have a cheap plastic melodica that I got for my kid. I actually quite enjoy fooling around with it and would like to upgrade to something a little fancier. Anyone play melodica and have thoughts? Based on YouTube videos, I think I've been able to figure out that the Yamaha P37D is very good at both soft and strong breath levels, and generally has a nice tone, but seems to have a shrill, nails-on-chalkboard sound on the very highest notes. The Suzuki M37C is supposed to have good keyboard action and it has noticeably tamer high notes, but throughout the rest of the range it sounds a bit more muffled and dark to me. But I've seen people pull absolutely beautiful stuff out of both, so it may be down to technique.

Anyone have thoughts, or recommendations for anything I've overlooked?

Warning: I am partial to the Hohner brand, as a clavinet (and melodica!) owner haha. I got one after finding out it was THAT sound in the dub reggae and Gang of Four records I was listening to when I was a kid. Actually mine came from a garage sale ;) (so by no means I’m an expert here)

Warning: I am partial to the Hohner brand, as a clavinet (and melodica!) owner haha. I got one after finding out it was THAT sound in the dub reggae and Gang of Four records I was listening to when I was a kid. Actually mine came from a garage sale ;) (so by no means I’m an expert here)
Oh, a clavinet -- very nice!

I am almost entirely an electronic/in-the-box musician (except for voice), but recently I've been getting into the idea of playing more stuff live so I could play with other people. The melodica kinda plays to the few strengths I have -- i.e., mediocre one-handed keyboarding. o_O And I really like the sound. I will never get to this level, but....

Or even this level, but....

EDIT: I don't know why that second video is "age-restricted." I promise it is just melodica playing, with no lewdness or violence!

The clav is on top of the Rhodes (currently my avatar picture - but if you’re in the future it will likely be some dopey Dobby gif again). I still have a lot of hardware and bought a clarinet (not to be confused with said clavinet) last year. Because I wanted to really place myself out of the comfortzone. Boy... hehe... let’s just put it this way, I now have EVEN more respect for José Herring! ;)

Top Bottom