What's new

MacOS updates and plugin compatibility?

arimurri

Hi all,

I have a 2019 MacBook Pro solely for Logic Pro X, and am frankly really confused with how Apple runs things. There's a new OS upgrade nearly every year, and with each, the fear of losing access to some of my plugins due to compatibility.

I recently updated from Catalina to Big Sur, and things are running well. But since Apple likes to lock Logic updates to the next OS I'd ideally like to transition to Monterey (not even considering Ventura considering how "new" it is for companies to check compatibility of plugins).

Mac users, how do you go about the updates and decide when to proceed with them?

Thanks in advance!

Hi all,

I have a 2019 MacBook Pro solely for Logic Pro X, and am frankly really confused with how Apple runs things. There's a new OS upgrade nearly every year, and with each, the fear of losing access to some of my plugins due to compatibility.

I recently updated from Catalina to Big Sur, and things are running well. But since Apple likes to lock Logic updates to the next OS I'd ideally like to transition to Monterey (not even considering Ventura considering how "new" it is for companies to check compatibility of plugins).

Mac users, how do you go about the updates and decide when to proceed with them?

Thanks in advance!
I usually just lag 1 OS behind the most recent one. This means that any show-stopping bugs or incompatibilities should have been ironed out over the course of the year. Only time I’ve ever been ‘forced’ into the latest was when I got my new Mac Studio.

The difference between Monterey and Ventura seems to be minimal. I upgraded with no difficulty, though usually, I am not so quick to upgrade. I have three Macs, and two are still running Mohave mostly because Apple has become merciless with its obsolescence scheduling in recent years.

My approach has been to try and stick to companies that are diligent about upgrading their software, and I try to keep plugins to a minimum. When considering a new plugin, always look hard at the onboard Logic plugins to see if you already have one that will do the trick. Logic's own plugins are quite powerful and often overlooked. (Same with Cubase.) Same with sample developers. Some companies are quick to support the latest OS while others still don't support Apple Silicon (cough VSL).

As @Zedcars just mentioned, those of us who bought Mac Studios were dragged kicking and screaming to the latest OS. At some point, you will need a new Mac, and to mitigate the transition, always consider how responsive companies are to changes in the Apple OS. Logic is the most important piece of software that you use. Everything else is secondary. Try to not become too dependant upon any one of them. The Achilles heel of my setup has been Vienna Ensemble Pro. It has made me start to examine my dependence on any one company. Fortunately, the Mac Studio has enough power to allow me to host everything without slaving. It has also made me more dependant upon Kontakt's purge. If Sine ever gets a purge, I'll be golden.

I'm also using a 2019 MacBook Pro (Intel). At this point, Ventura causes no plugin related issues for me, using Logic. Right after the release of Ventura, there were a couple of developers who needed to update their plugins for Ventura (which has now been done). Overall, a smooth OS upgrade from Monterey to Venture here. Note... since (some of) your plugins will be different, your experience upgrading may vary.

My approach has been to try and stick to companies that are diligent about upgrading their software, and I try to keep plugins to a minimum. When considering a new plugin, always look hard at the onboard Logic plugins to see if you already have one that will do the trick. Logic's own plugins are quite powerful and often overlooked. (Same with Cubase.) Same with sample developers. Some companies are quick to support the latest OS while others still don't support Apple Silicon (cough VSL).
Yep, this. You can save yourself a lot of bother by going on a plugin diet and using the Logic stock more. (That's if you value easy OS updates over more plugin options.)

Personally, I like to ride up front on the MacOS update train and keep a smaller collection of libraries/plugs to facilitate that. Others choose to have 1000's of titles, but will find it harder to stay updated.

Basically, you've got to decide where you 'riding on that train.

As I use plugins/libraries from a range of about 30 or so manufacturers, what is the latest Mac OS I could rely on? Currently on High Sierra, and it's become a problem as now incompatible with the latest stuff from Izotope, UJAM, EduPrado, Screenflow. Anyone know of plugins that don't work with e.g. Big Sur or Monterrey?

Top Bottom