What's new

Mac Keyboard and Mouse

Jett Hitt

Assuming the new Mac Mini Pro drops with 64GB of RAM here in a few weeks, I am going to jump on it, and I am going to need a keyboard and a mouse. For years now, I have been using a programable Razer gaming mouse with Logic. It is really sweet to have nine selectable tools at my thumb. However, I would call the Razer Synapse software that runs the mouse anything but reliable. So I am wondering what folks are using?

I recently bought a Logitech MX Keyboard for my other Mac, and it seems pretty decent. Is anyone using this? And how is the MX Master 3 mouse?

Recommendations, please.

I'm using Logitech's MX Master mouse and MX Keys keyboard. I've had them both for more than a year and am quite happy with them. The keyboard is wonderful to type on and can, just like the mouse, be paired with several devices simultaneously so you can, for example, with the press of a button control a VEP machine.

Last edited:
I'm using Logitech's MX Master mouse and MX Keys keyboard. I've had them both for more than a year and am quite happy with them. The keyboard is wonderful to type on and can, just like the mouse, be paired with several devices simultaneously so you can, for example, with the press of a button control a slave machine.
Oh wow! I didn't know I could do that with my MX keyboard. Thanks for the tip! I might not even need a keyboard. How is the programmability of the mouse?

I work at Best Buy so I was able to get a Steelseries mouse and keyboard for dirt cheap, and they work great

I will admit I LOVE the magic mouse but I hate that it’s not wired, that was a deal breaker for me, if they made a wired version I’d go back to it in a heartbeat, I’ve even considered getting the old mighty mouse for that same reason as it’s the closest thing

How is the programmability of the mouse?
It has got a couple of programmable buttons but I never use them to be honest. I bought the mouse mostly because of the horizontal scroll wheel but I actually rarely use that either. What I like the most about the MX Master is the ergonomics and the feel and precision of the wheel.

I really like the MX Master 3 for Mac, recently ditched my Razers for that and it's much better. The scroll wheel is very cool with the whole magnetic thing, so it changes from clicky to smooth when you scroll faster. There's also a horizontal scroll wheel which is nice for moving around the timeline. Be aware your Mac needs to be at least 10.15 or higher I believe, otherwise the mouse doesn't work right.

I work at Best Buy so I was able to get a Steelseries mouse and keyboard for dirt cheap, and they work great

I will admit I LOVE the magic mouse but I hate that it’s not wired, that was a deal breaker for me, if they made a wired version I’d go back to it in a heartbeat, I’ve even considered getting the old mighty mouse for that same reason as it’s the closest thing
I love the magic mouse, but for Logic, those programmable keys were just fantastic. I am a little surprised that more composers don't use gaming mice.

I really like the MX Master 3 for Mac, recently ditched my Razers for that and it's much better. The scroll wheel is very cool with the whole magnetic thing, so it changes from clicky to smooth when you scroll faster. There's also a horizontal scroll wheel which is nice for moving around the timeline. Be aware your Mac needs to be at least 10.15 or higher I believe, otherwise the mouse doesn't work right.
Thanks @David Kudell. I suspect that the MX Master 3 is in my future, and compatibility won't be a an issue with a New Mac Mini, though it is a bit of a bummer that I won't be able to use it with my other two machines which are both running Mohave.

I love my MX 3. I bought it for video editing. The Magic Mouse was giving me tendinitis. I’ve found the MX3 great, very ergonomic, easy to program. Besides controlling up to three devices you can also use the MX3 software to move files from one device to another.

I've tried the Logitech mice and the Kensington trackballs - nice devices, but I can't get away from the Magic Mouse. It's minimalist perfection - except for that stupid charging port, but besides that, perfection.

Why is the wireless aspect of it a deal breaker for you?

I’ve had many experiences with my mouse dying in the middle of me working on something and then I’ll have to completely stop making music for a day so I can let the mouse charge, I don’t like wireless anything if I’m being honest

I’ve had many experiences with my mouse dying in the middle of me working on something and then I’ll have to completely stop making music for a day so I can let the mouse charge, I don’t like wireless anything if I’m being honest
A magic mouse will give hours of performance on a ten minute charge.

I have a magic mouse as a backup to the MX3. You can also use the MX3 while it’s charging, so I don’t think I’ve ever had to do that. Finally I have an old wired mouse Apple mouse in case both happen to need charging at the same time.

A magic mouse will give hours of performance on a ten minute charge.

That’s what everyone else told me but my experience has not been even remotely the same, I can keep in on the charger all night and it still won’t be fully charged, and I’m using the exact same one that I use for my iPhone and it’s never had this issue, if it was wired I’d be completely happy with it as I love the functionality and the feel of it

You know you can have like half a dozen mice paired to your machine right? If one dies, move to the other while it charges o_O

For sure you had a faulty one @KEM. I've had at least a couple of each gen and never ever had one disconnect on me. Also I'll take the bottom charging port if I only have to charge it once a month and have the smooth scrolling.

Top Bottom