What's new

Mac Book Pro or Pc based desktop new computer

Pixelee

Hello, I want to know what you think about the 2 options as my current old pc is choking with 40 tracks of vsts. (already froze track)

I want the portability and endurance, but I'm not sure if it has enough power. Max I would need 60-80 tracks. I'm just concerned about the 16 gig ram.

I've been using MBP's exclusively since 2008 for everything I do... that being said, I'm not a professional musician/composer, and the stuff I write involves smaller arrangements. But if it wasn't for my being tied to Logic X, I would seriously consider jumping back to a PC for no other reason than Apple finally pricing me out of their lineup.

Logic has serious issues with CPU core distribution whilst recording. That's the bottleneck on my 2015 13"/16gb ram duo core. Playback is a different story and can be remedied. I have run 20+ tracks of Cinematic Strings, solo strings, Soaring Strings, etc and an 8Dio piano that is a CPU hog with no problems on 2 cores. A 4-core 15" will give you way more cpu headroom. I can't see it freezing with 40 tracks.

The other major elephant in the room for you would be the limit of 16gb ram in the current Apple laptop world. But the 2015-onward MBP's have integrated SSD & Ram that is blazing fast.

I'm looking at new/used-with-warranty 2015 MBP's on Ebay, 13" or 15" models. Some GREAT deals right now. The 2015 models are just as fast with all the ports still intact.

Hope this helps a little!

I have already searched the forum, but not many people gave feedback if they had a macbook pro setup. Actually not many users use macbook pro.
No, there are lots of rMBP threads. I have probably posted in three figures about it. Also look at @whinecellar 's post history. I want to write stuff but a lot has been said...

Thank you! I'm not interested in vep nor slaves. Maybe I'll wait for a 32 Gb ram macbook pro. If there will be one next year

I wouldn't hold my breath, Pixelee. A lot of people were waiting for 32GB this year and it didn't happen. Supposedly there are new chips coming out that will make it easier, but there are people high up at Apple making bad decisions right now.

If I needed a portable music rig today, I'd buy a 16GB MacBook Pro with the intention of selling it when one that holds 32GB comes out. And I wouldn't buy the current one with that silly strip, I'd look at previous models with quad processors.

That's MacOS X. I personally am not interested in Windows, just because I have too much work invested in Macs over the years.

I've been using Macs for music since late 80's. I'm with Nick in getting an older quad core model if you want Apple and portability. I have a MacBook Pro 2.6 i7 2012 and running Logic with 16 gigs of Ram. I do a lot with it and the fans rarely if ever kick on and it has been extremely reliable. Yes I would like 32 gigs if it were available but you do have SSD streaming of samples with Kontakt as well as freezing Tracks in Logic ProX as some workarounds to the current 16 gig ceiling. I don't run large but smaller basic templates and then load as I go when I need other sounds ...even when doing orchestral stuff. Logic has a nice system for saving organizing your sounds/patches within a Library and then a single click loads it into a track.

Thank you! I'm more into the stability of macbook pro. I haven't touched mac since grade 8 so I'm really comfortable with windows. If I only know which window laptops has better stability... I have a few composers and they travel all the time with just a mbp and they do similar music as me.

Just imo... I ditched laptops because when they fail they take everything with them. Even if you backup your data... what about your licences. But if you need portability, I would go with a beefy windows laptop. Take out the gpu and swap in 2.5 inch SSDs. there are a few you can do that with still.

As a long time OSX user, apple's QA on the hardware has slowly gotten worse and you will burn through them because they use poor motherboard designs. :/

Or go desktop or Mac Pro and be happy.

Top Bottom