What's new

M.2 enclosure recommendations for Mac Studio

I can't open those links from America, unfortunately.

If you go back to the beginning of this thread you'll see the difference in transfer rates. It may or may not make any difference in the real world, but you do have to pay $100 or more for 2500Mb/s transfers.
This is what is displayed on amazon.de:

Anyoyo: 107 euros (Sold By ANYOYO-EUR)
40Gbps NVMe SSD Enclosure for USB 3.2/3.1/3.0/2.0 Type-C, USB4 M.2 NVMe Enclosure for PCIe 2280 M-Key (B+M Key), USB C Enclosure Compatible for Thunderbolt 3/4, Aluminum Alloy Enclosure, up to 2700 MB/s
Hardware interfaceUSB-C
brandANYOYO
ColorSilver
Hardware platformPC/Mac/Linux
materialaluminum

Acasis: 135 euros (Sold By ACASIS-DE)
Acasis M2 NVMe SSD Enclosure 40Gbps USB C Aluminum NVMe Enclosure PCIe 2280 M-Key (B+M Key) Solid State Drive External Hard Drive Enclosure Compatible with USB 4/3.2/3.1/3.0/Type C Devices (TBU405M1)
Hardware interfaceSolid state drive, Thunderbolt
brandAcasis
Hardware platformPersonal computers
materialAluminum silicone
Item weight137 grams

Thanks for the quick feedback. I'm a bit confused.
I bought this one which says the brand is Anyoyo: https://shorturl.at/qrxJ4
And saw this other one which got Acasis in the name but which is not 4x the price:
https://shorturl.at/jlQST
Thanks again for your help.
I could open the link but It is confusing. The brand is Anyoyo but the picture shows Acassis written on the case

For the last 6 days, I have been using three of the new OWC Express 1m2, each loaded with 4TB of WD SN850X and it has been rock solid. Each of the enclosures, which are USB4 bus powered are connected to their own USB4/TB4 port on my Mac Studio M2. I get 3100 MB/s read and write and I had them running for at least 20 minutes straight maintaining that speed while I copied all of my 10TB of libraries to them when I first installed them. They never got hotter than 70 degrees Celsius and they did not throttle down at any point. The normal idle and real world usage temperature is between 45 and 50 degrees celsius. The spec for the WD drive is that they can run up to 90 degrees and so I never got close to that. Of most importance to me, I have not gotten any of the disconnects with them being bus powered that TB bus powered users have been experiencing with multiple drives. So far my hypothesis of USB4 placing less demand voltage-wise on the USB/TB bus is holding up.
This looks like the way to go. Get an empty one and use your own M.2 drive. I really wanted to get to the rack for the studio that Sonnet makes but I didn't realize till I started researching that it is limited in speed and I'm used to the speed of the internal now.

I’ve been looking for a portable dual bay m.2 enclosure that can hold two 8tb drives but have come up empty. anyone ever see one? sorry for the hijack!

I was looking for one too but no luck for me.
I was too for a while, but with a few exceptions, it seems that once you have more than one NVME in an enclosure, there is also a fan involved. I didn't want any fan noise near my workspace since my MacStudio M2 ultra is so quiet/silent. If a multi NVME enclosure does not have a fan, then there is usually some throttling going on to keep temperatures under control, like the OWC Thunderblade. Then you are having to run your drives in some sort of RAID to get up to the 3000 MB/s sweet spot. That too is not for me. Trembleet has a FOUR NVME enclosure with no fan, but the lack of reviews out there and everything sharing one TB cable has me thinking it's too good to be true. If they would send me one I'd be happy to test it. So that's why I bought the OWC Express 1M2's. No fans, OWC support and customer service, and around 3200 MB/s reads and writes! If you are short on USB4 ports, then of course this will be an issue. But if you're not, this is the way to go!

OWC Express 1M2's. No fans, OWC support and customer service, and around 3200 MB/s reads and writes!
The integral heatsink was a critical addition, IMO. It allows larger NVMe drives to operate a higher speeds without overheating.

I'm running two original Envoy Express TB enclosures; they connect via TWO Thunderbolt lanes and are thus limited to 1/2 the speed promised by the 1M2 enclosures.

OTOH, the Envoy Express drives get my VI data delivered plenty fast. And I put stick on heatsinks on them just for the heck of it.

I was too for a while, but with a few exceptions, it seems that once you have more than one NVME in an enclosure, there is also a fan involved. I didn't want any fan noise near my workspace since my MacStudio M2 ultra is so quiet/silent. If a multi NVME enclosure does not have a fan, then there is usually some throttling going on to keep temperatures under control, like the OWC Thunderblade. Then you are having to run your drives in some sort of RAID to get up to the 3000 MB/s sweet spot. That too is not for me. Trembleet has a FOUR NVME enclosure with no fan, but the lack of reviews out there and everything sharing one TB cable has me thinking it's too good to be true. If they would send me one I'd be happy to test it. So that's why I bought the OWC Express 1M2's. No fans, OWC support and customer service, and around 3200 MB/s reads and writes! If you are short on USB4 ports, then of course this will be an issue. But if you're not, this is the way to go!
I've downsized my data footprint and may just put a 4TB TLC blade in one OWC 1M2 and call it good. Have you tracked the temperature performance of your unit under different loads? I would like to keep the drive running cool in addition to no throttling issues if possible. Also, any advice on a cool running, Mac-friendly M.2 blade? This will be audio-only and fairly small sessions; if a Gen 3 blade runs much cooler the performance should be fine for my needs. Trick is finding one still being produced in 2024. A cool running Gen4 is fine too. Thanks for your insights.

Anyoyo: 107 euros (Sold By ANYOYO-EUR)
40Gbps NVMe SSD Enclosure for USB 3.2/3.1/3.0/2.0 Type-C, USB4 M.2 NVMe Enclosure for PCIe 2280 M-Key (B+M Key), USB C Enclosure Compatible for Thunderbolt 3/4, Aluminum Alloy Enclosure, up to 2700 MB/s
Hardware interfaceUSB-C
brandANYOYO
ColorSilver
Hardware platformPC/Mac/Linux
materialaluminum

Acasis: 135 euros (Sold By ACASIS-DE)
Acasis M2 NVMe SSD Enclosure 40Gbps USB C Aluminum NVMe Enclosure PCIe 2280 M-Key (B+M Key) Solid State Drive External Hard Drive Enclosure Compatible with USB 4/3.2/3.1/3.0/Type C Devices (TBU405M1)
Hardware interfaceSolid state drive, Thunderbolt
brandAcasis
Hardware platformPersonal computers
materialAluminum silicone
Item weight137 grams
I have two NVMEs with exactly these two cases (just got each during a sale and wanted to compare). Three days ago, one of the discs suddenly didn't show up in MacOS any longer. It was only a samples drive and I could get all data back. Nonetheless, it is very annoying and I wonder, how often will something like this happen? With internal drives I never had any problems like that. Sure, after several years some of the drives broke, but I bought new drives for this Mac just last year and already had more problems with stability than with any internal SSD ever. How are your experiences with this? The drive could be formatted again and now it is back and running. So, it is not broken, I suppose! It only decided to erase itself for some reason I cannot figure out.

I've downsized my data footprint and may just put a 4TB TLC blade in one OWC 1M2 and call it good. Have you tracked the temperature performance of your unit under different loads? I would like to keep the drive running cool in addition to no throttling issues if possible. Also, any advice on a cool running, Mac-friendly M.2 blade? This will be audio-only and fairly small sessions; if a Gen 3 blade runs much cooler the performance should be fine for my needs. Trick is finding one still being produced in 2024. A cool running Gen4 is fine too. Thanks for your insights.
Under normal everyday composer VI streaming usage, my three OWC Express 1M2 with 4TB WD Black sn850x idle at 46-48 deg C and under what I consider heavy usage are usually around 51 deg C. The only time they exceeded that temp was when I did the intial copying of all of my VI libraries from my SSD's over to the NVME's and during the 20 minute 3.5TB transfer to one of them that I watched like a hawk because it was the first testing of them, they sustained between 3000-3100MB/s for 20 minutes! The temp went up to, but never above 70 deg C, and as soon as the copying was completed, the temp went right down to below 50deg C. No thermal throttling. I believe this is for 2 reasons. 1] WD has a great cache and design on the 850x. From the research I did, and was able to understand, the cache design seems to be extremely important to NVME's as it pertains to sustained transfer speed which isn't super important for VI streaming, but it seems important to thermal throttling. 2] OWC I believe has chosen to strategically limit the max throughput of the Express 1M2 [which is why, if it is true, Zike Drive advertises somewhere around 3811MB/s for reading--but for how long--how sustainable is this?] to be able to have REAL WORLD sustained usage, which in my case,with the NVME I installed, 3200 MB/s SUSTAINED reads and writes. I didn't want to EVER wonder if my drives were thermal throttling. OWC dialed down the max performance capable of the controller chip inside the enclosure to essentially guarantee with a high performance NVME, 3100, 3200MB/s is constantly achievable. I like that they did that. So I don't know what your definition of "cool running" is, but being that my drives basically live around 50deg C, and WD in their specs states that the max operating temp of the WD Black 850x is 85 deg C, I am well within their specs. Are there less expensive options than the WD 850x and Samsung 990 pro which based on my reading is an equal performer....maybe. After all the reading I did, trying to find an alternative to those 2 options, which was maybe $80 less expensive, and hoping it performed wasn't something I wanted to try. I've never skimped on my VI library storage media, and that approach for me has worked well.

Under normal everyday composer VI streaming usage, my three OWC Express 1M2 with 4TB WD Black sn850x idle at 46-48 deg C and under what I consider heavy usage are usually around 51 deg C. The only time they exceeded that temp was when I did the intial copying of all of my VI libraries from my SSD's over to the NVME's and during the 20 minute 3.5TB transfer to one of them that I watched like a hawk because it was the first testing of them, they sustained between 3000-3100MB/s for 20 minutes! The temp went up to, but never above 70 deg C, and as soon as the copying was completed, the temp went right down to below 50deg C. No thermal throttling. I believe this is for 2 reasons. 1] WD has a great cache and design on the 850x. From the research I did, and was able to understand, the cache design seems to be extremely important to NVME's as it pertains to sustained transfer speed which isn't super important for VI streaming, but it seems important to thermal throttling. 2] OWC I believe has chosen to strategically limit the max throughput of the Express 1M2 [which is why, if it is true, Zike Drive advertises somewhere around 3811MB/s for reading--but for how long--how sustainable is this?] to be able to have REAL WORLD sustained usage, which in my case,with the NVME I installed, 3200 MB/s SUSTAINED reads and writes. I didn't want to EVER wonder if my drives were thermal throttling. OWC dialed down the max performance capable of the controller chip inside the enclosure to essentially guarantee with a high performance NVME, 3100, 3200MB/s is constantly achievable. I like that they did that. So I don't know what your definition of "cool running" is, but being that my drives basically live around 50deg C, and WD in their specs states that the max operating temp of the WD Black 850x is 85 deg C, I am well within their specs. Are there less expensive options than the WD 850x and Samsung 990 pro which based on my reading is an equal performer....maybe. After all the reading I did, trying to find an alternative to those 2 options, which was maybe $80 less expensive, and hoping it performed wasn't something I wanted to try. I've never skimped on my VI library storage media, and that approach for me has worked well.
Thank you for your detailed response. I have much to learn about NVMe so don't have a target temperature in mind, just want as cool as possible for reduced wear on the device. The numbers you've cited sound good. Fyi, my strategy has been to favor stability over raw speed. I like the Mac Studio for this reason. Perhaps it's an overbuilt Mini but the cooling system is rock-solid. Now I need to order my first 1M2 and decide on a blade. Just buying the pre-built 4TB Aura config is an option for perhaps an extra $100 vs WD but Iwant to learn more about the Aura NVMes. Again, I much appreciate your feedback.

Thank you for your detailed response. I have much to learn about NVMe so don't have a target temperature in mind, just want as cool as possible for reduced wear on the device. The numbers you've cited sound good. Fyi, my strategy has been to favor stability over raw speed. I like the Mac Studio for this reason. Perhaps it's an overbuilt Mini but the cooling system is rock-solid. Now I need to order my first 1M2 and decide on a blade. Just buying the pre-built 4TB Aura config is an option for perhaps an extra $100 vs WD but Iwant to learn more about the Aura NVMes. Again, I much appreciate your feedback.
I think all that matters with temperature is that it is less than the manufacturer [NVME] listed max operating temperature. In my opinion, when people say a hard drive runs hot, or runs cool to the touch [when discussing any hard drive enclosure] I think that is a subjective observation. What does it matter if it is hot when we touch it? As long as it's in spec, that is all that should matter. The Aura NVME is OWC's in house NVME. It will get you their published speeds and so I'm sure it is good. What it also seems to be is expensive. The 4TB turnkey Express 1m2 with the Aura installed from OWC is $580. The empty enclosure is $120 and the WD 850x at 4TB can be purchased on Amazon today for $290 making that setup $410. The Aura is no way as high performance as the WD 850X or the Samsung 990pro. I think OWC gives you a 3 year warranty if you buy it with their drive inside vs 2 years if you put your own storage inside. The WD 850x and Samsung 990pro from what I have read are the BEST Gen 4 NVME on the market. I have a Mac Studio M2 Ultra and between the silence of that computer combined in my case with 3 of these hard drives, which are also silent. I have had them connected to my mac since I think December 10, 2023 when I received them and installed them. My computer/studio is on 24/7. I have had zero issues, not one disconnect or error in all of that time.

I think all that matters with temperature is that it is less than the manufacturer [NVME] listed max operating temperature. In my opinion, when people say a hard drive runs hot, or runs cool to the touch [when discussing any hard drive enclosure] I think that is a subjective observation. What does it matter if it is hot when we touch it? As long as it's in spec, that is all that should matter. The Aura NVME is OWC's in house NVME. It will get you their published speeds and so I'm sure it is good. What it also seems to be is expensive. The 4TB turnkey Express 1m2 with the Aura installed from OWC is $580. The empty enclosure is $120 and the WD 850x at 4TB can be purchased on Amazon today for $290 making that setup $410. The Aura is no way as high performance as the WD 850X or the Samsung 990pro. I think OWC gives you a 3 year warranty if you buy it with their drive inside vs 2 years if you put your own storage inside. The WD 850x and Samsung 990pro from what I have read are the BEST Gen 4 NVME on the market. I have a Mac Studio M2 Ultra and between the silence of that computer combined in my case with 3 of these hard drives, which are also silent. I have had them connected to my mac since I think December 10, 2023 when I received them and installed them. My computer/studio is on 24/7. I have had zero issues, not one disconnect or error in all of that time.
Just one more hopefully simple inquiry - Do the two thermal pads in the 1M2 make solid contact with your WD 850x or did you need to modify these? Looking at the mm depth spec for the OWC Aura IV, will any NVMe that matches or is slightly thicker work as well? What is the purpose of that second tiny thermal pad - Aura-specific or does this make the same contact with your 850x? Finally, I assume that the 850x heatsink option should not be selected when buying. Thanks again, Sky

Just one more hopefully simple inquiry - Do the two thermal pads in the 1M2 make solid contact with your WD 850x or did you need to modify these? Looking at the mm depth spec for the OWC Aura IV, will any NVMe that matches or is slightly thicker work as well? What is the purpose of that second tiny thermal pad - Aura-specific or does this make the same contact with your 850x? Finally, I assume that the 850x heatsink option should not be selected when buying. Thanks again, Sky
Yes, solid contact. Nice and snug when closing it up and screwing the lid down. Don't know why it has that tiny pad, but if I recall the directions said DO NOT TOUCH IT! And yes, save your money and do not buy with the WD heatsink option. I'm quite sure it won't fit, or any NVME with the additional heatsink installed for that matter.

I've recently added two Kingston KC3000 to my setup. Acasis TBU405 and OWC 1M2 as enclosures.

1M2
Write: 3178 MB/s
Read: 2906 MB/s
32°C

TBU405
Write: 2794 MB/s
Read: 2678 MB/s
39°C

And yes, I've swapped the drives to be certain faster and cooler depends on the 1M2.

THX for definitive, detailed reporting!

Top Bottom