What's new

Looking to make Video Game Music for Free

IAMSOCONFUSED

Hello!
My Name is Dean , im from Germany and currently 23 Years old.
I started making Music in 2016 and have Produced to Date over 350 Songs.
I want to create some Music for Games for Free and/or make them Available for People to use them.
Maybe someone knows a Developer who needs a helping Hand or knows some Places i could search for People to work with?
Genres of mine include: Lofi , Trap , Dubstep , Drum and Bass , House , Dancehall , Hiphop and some Background Music for Visual Novels.
Ive Finished some Loopable Chill Music for a Visual Novel last Month and made some Drum and Bass for an Sidescroller and that really lit my Fire for this , also im doing it for Free as im taking a Break from my own Music & Recording Studio which i started in 2018.
Thanks to everyone who replies! I hope you all have a great Day and stay Safe.

It's usually good advice not to work for free. However, there are a lot of game jams that happen during the year, and those are a huge part of the game development scene. They're non-commercial projects, and everyone else is working for free, too. They're a good place to experiment. Ludum Dare is a big one that takes place a few times a year, but there are smaller jams happening all the time:

You definitely shouldn't offer your work for free for commercial projects though!

The GameJams on Itch are great! They're nice little writing prompts and very enjoyable community-building exercises. You can meet game devs that way and build relationships there while keeping all the rights to everything you create in the process in case you want to do anything with it later.

But yeah, please don't give away the rights to what you create for nothing. That just hurts the whole community.

Indie Game developers already greatly undervalue music so it's not a surprise that most people here are not keen on this idea.

You're not going to be receiving much help in further killing a difficult market.
Thanks for your Reply! i totally understand that.

The GameJams on Itch are great! They're nice little writing prompts and very enjoyable community-building exercises. You can meet game devs that way and build relationships there while keeping all the rights to everything you create in the process in case you want to do anything with it later.

But yeah, please don't give away the rights to what you create for nothing. That just hurts the whole community.
Thanks , i didnt know the Market was so underapprecciated.
I always felt that Music Producing was something you really needed an Ear for and that will always be appreciated but now knowing that i see it differently.

It's usually good advice not to work for free. However, there are a lot of game jams that happen during the year, and those are a huge part of the game development scene. They're non-commercial projects, and everyone else is working for free, too. They're a good place to experiment. Ludum Dare is a big one that takes place a few times a year, but there are smaller jams happening all the time:

You definitely shouldn't offer your work for free for commercial projects though!
Thank you so much!
Could i kindly just ask you to Explain how exactly i can get in Touch with them? i never even heard of those Jams.
Is there also an "Close Thread" option on VI? Would love to close it down as i got my answers.

Thank you so much!
Could i kindly just ask you to Explain how exactly i can get in Touch with them? i never even heard of those Jams.
Is there also an "Close Thread" option on VI? Would love to close it down as i got my answers.
For Ludum Dare I think you just register on the website and sign up for the jam. I also suggest looking around locally in Germany, I'm sure there are Game Jams held every once in a while in major cities.

https://globalgamejam.org/jam-sites/2017/bysize?country=DE

I've done six jams, all of which I found through itch.io. Make an account there (you'll want this for later), go to the "Jams" page and take a look at what's coming up. To find teams, you'll want to go to whatever Discord community they have for the jam or the organization holding the jam (they'll almost always have one), both post what you have and actively reach out to others who are also looking for teams. There's usually a specific channel for finding teams, don't post this kind of thing outside of that area, it's bad form. It'll always be easier to find people to work with on bigger jams than smaller ones, but big jams aren't always better.

Jams are a great opportunity for growth. I've found them very challenging and stressful, but I've yet to not deliver and I've been mostly very happy with the work I've put together, I'm looking forward to doing more and I hope you enjoy doing them!

It's okay to negotiate working for free on a project if you are at an early stage of your career and think it is worth adding to your portfolio but please do not offer it straight up front. You are really making things harder for people like me that are working hard to do this as a fulltime career.

Wow, just 23 and already over 350 songs; that's impressive. If you need someone to collab with, I think the good idea is to contact developers of kids' games. They usually put a lot of accent in music and visual extensions. Moreover, I think the best niche for you would be the online coding classes for kids. My brother did some courses, and they often used some music as background to capture their attention and make sure they could associate some coding aspects with some music tonalities, which is a nice idea.

Last edited:
Hello!
I started making Music in 2016 and have Produced to Date over 350 Songs.
I want to create some Music for Games for Free and/or make them Available for People to use them.
Maybe someone knows a Developer who needs a helping Hand or knows some Places i could search for People to work with?
Genres of mine include: Lofi , Trap , Dubstep , Drum and Bass , House , Dancehall , Hiphop and some Background Music for Visual Novels.
Ive Finished some Loopable Chill Music for a Visual Novel last Month and made some Drum and Bass for an Sidescroller and that really lit my Fire for this , also im doing it for Free as im taking a Break from my own Music & Recording Studio which i started in 2018.
Dont, by doing something for free you futher cement the notion that musicans dont work this hard and making soundtrack is a task that borders on small favor.
Even if you do make it by following this plan - it will bite you in the future, because once you give something for free, its new norm for everybody.
Build solid portfolio and nice website instead.

To add on, an accountant, lawyer, nurse, construction worker, bus driver, real estate agent wouldn't work for essentially an entire project with a client for free, musicians are no different. It's fine to be altruistic, but not at the expense of your career.

I've done six jams, all of which I found through itch.io. Make an account there (you'll want this for later), go to the "Jams" page and take a look at what's coming up. To find teams, you'll want to go to whatever Discord community they have for the jam or the organization holding the jam (they'll almost always have one), both post what you have and actively reach out to others who are also looking for teams. There's usually a specific channel for finding teams, don't post this kind of thing outside of that area, it's bad form. It'll always be easier to find people to work with on bigger jams than smaller ones, but big jams aren't always better.

Jams are a great opportunity for growth. I've found them very challenging and stressful, but I've yet to not deliver and I've been mostly very happy with the work I've put together, I'm looking forward to doing more and I hope you enjoy doing them!
Thanks for sharing!

Hello!
I started making Music in 2016 and have Produced to Date over 350 Songs. In my free time I like to play gambling games on the website as it helps me to relax and earn a little money.
Are you doing this now? I'm new to this so would like some advice from you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom