What's new

Logic pro hangs on launch after plugins

GoofyTroop

Hey whats the fix for getting logic working.
It launches, then scans plugins, then hangs at end saying “updating plugin info” left it all night. Does nothing.
Plus i went to download it from apple again and its not available. Logic ver 10.6.3
Mac OS catalina.
It has bern working fine. Then it just started hanging. I cleared caches again rebooteed. Takes 12 min to scan plugins, then finishes and hangs.

I know it hates IK media plugins. But DP, Cubase, Dorico, Wavelabs, studio one, Vienna all have no issues and work great.

Any help would be great and where to download Logic 10.6.3 it only lets me download newest version that does not run on my mac pro 5.1 and catalina.

Hey Goofy,
There are some links below to various threads discussing the same problem. In most cases it does appear to be an IK Media plugin. You've probably seen these threads already, listed below just in case.

If you can get access to the plugins folder on your Mac HD, you could create a "Disabled" folder in Library/Audio/Plugins, move over the IK Plugins as a start and see if this allows the Logic Mainstage to boot correctly. If its does then the process of adding the plugins back one by one.
A pain in the butt, I know, there maybe an quicker method outlined within some of the links below.

If you have backups in Time Machine you may be able to install previous versions of LogicPro X from there. The issue you're experiencing though, has occurred in version 10.5 also, so this may not solve the issue even if you can do that.

Hope you get this resolved as Apple support are useless ......

>> https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...nformation-about-audio-unit-plug-ins.2307336/

From the link above:
"
I was able to fix it. LPX went from a hung state in Plug-In Manager (caused by the TRackS 5 suite by IK Multimedia) to starting up normally. Here's what I did:

1. Went to Mac HD > Library > Audio > Plugins > VST, VST3 and Components > removed any T-rackS 5 files from all 3 folders and saved to SSD, then deleted them from MacHD.
2. Went to MAC HD > Library > Application Support > Avid > Audio > Plugins > Saved the T-rackS 5 files to SSD, then deleted them.
3. Emptied Trash, removed the SSD and restarted LPX.

The hang ceased and LPX started normally."

>> https://support.apple.com/en-gb/109315
>> https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=81360

G

@GoofyTroop Also try downloading from the Apple Store by going to your Purchases you should get message that your system doesn’t support the latest version but it offers to download the latest compatible version. I’m not sure what version that is for Catalina though.

Hey Goofy,
There are some links below to various threads discussing the same problem. In most cases it does appear to be an IK Media plugin. You've probably seen these threads already, listed below just in case.

If you can get access to the plugins folder on your Mac HD, you could create a "Disabled" folder in Library/Audio/Plugins, move over the IK Plugins as a start and see if this allows the Logic Mainstage to boot correctly. If its does then the process of adding the plugins back one by one.
A pain in the butt, I know, there maybe an quicker method outlined within some of the links below.

If you have backups in Time Machine you may be able to install previous versions of LogicPro X from there. The issue you're experiencing though, has occurred in version 10.5 also, so this may not solve the issue even if you can do that.

Hope you get this resolved as Apple support are useless ......

>> https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...nformation-about-audio-unit-plug-ins.2307336/

From the link above:
"
I was able to fix it. LPX went from a hung state in Plug-In Manager (caused by the TRackS 5 suite by IK Multimedia) to starting up normally. Here's what I did:

1. Went to Mac HD > Library > Audio > Plugins > VST, VST3 and Components > removed any T-rackS 5 files from all 3 folders and saved to SSD, then deleted them from MacHD.
2. Went to MAC HD > Library > Application Support > Avid > Audio > Plugins > Saved the T-rackS 5 files to SSD, then deleted them.
3. Emptied Trash, removed the SSD and restarted LPX.

The hang ceased and LPX started normally."

>> https://support.apple.com/en-gb/109315
>> https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=81360

G
Thank you so much. I figured some out, I removed all those Nagy pop ups for you need a licience BS for old demo plugins I never used or liked. I just put those in trash. Now It makes it through and just hangs. I installed T-Racks 5 a while back. So it must be that. The old T-Racks had no problem. There are so many of them!

I guess just take them all out then add them in one at a time until it hangs.

I love this forum! Thanks again It REALLY helps to get some direction.

@GoofyTroop Also try downloading from the Apple Store by going to your Purchases you should get message that your system doesn’t support the latest version but it offers to download the latest compatible version. I’m not sure what version that is for Catalina though.
Yea they took away that option. So Sad the "New" apple. Its rotten to the core. I called and they said they no longer offer older versions of OS and Apps on unsupported Macs. Mine is 2012 Mac Pro 5.1
Really sad! So if you're HD crashes, or gets corrupted your SOL I guess. Should have saved installers. I have original boxes of Logic three Boxes from my Three Mac Pros older versions but installer will not install as my older Mac OS is to new.
In the Beta world we call Tim "Sisyphus"

Thank you so much. I figured some out, I removed all those Nagy pop ups for you need a licience BS for old demo plugins I never used or liked. I just put those in trash. Now It makes it through and just hangs. I installed T-Racks 5 a while back. So it must be that. The old T-Racks had no problem. There are so many of them!

I guess just take them all out then add them in one at a time until it hangs.

I love this forum! Thanks again It REALLY helps to get some direction.
More than welcome @GoofyTroop ..... hopefully your back up and running again soon and it was just a plugin issue! Fingers crossed!!

More than welcome @GoofyTroop ..... hopefully your back up and running again soon and it was just a plugin issue! Fingers crossed!!
Awesome! I removed all my T-Racks and logic works again! Its been broken for a while too. Your the best!
Tassman, Roland Integra-7 Editor also hangs 10.6.3 logic. I just removed them and put in folder in vst’s that crash logic. It kept hanging, then i went to link you gave me. There is a AVID folder that has them all even if you remove them all in VST, VST2, VST3. So you have to remove them in AVID folder too. Then Logic boots right up!

Thank you again! I just love this forum. I owe you all for the help.

Last edited:
Awesome! I removed all my T-Racks and logic works again! Its been broken for a while too. Your the best!
Tassman, Roland Integra-7 Editor also hangs 10.6.3 logic. I just removed them and put in folder in vst’s that crash logic. It kept hanging, then i went to link you gave me. There is a AVID folder that has them all even if you remove them all in VST, VST2, VST3.

Thank you again! I just love this forum. I owe you all fir the help.
@GoofyTroop - Happy days!! Fantastic that you got it all sorted and are back!! :2thumbs:
What a pain in the a$$ .... if you are anything like me, that "swear jar" must be overflowing!
I'd have been bouncing off the ceiling, omitting a constant flow of expletives!! 🤣

Yea i broke a mug of mine. So mad at Apple. They offered no solution, and criticized me for not buying a new mac. And could not even give me a link to download Logic 10.6.3. They said its no longer supported. Rotten too the core!

Yea i broke a mug of mine. So mad at Apple. They offered no solution, and criticized me for not buying a new mac. And could not even give me a link to download Logic 10.6.3. They said its no longer supported. Rotten too the core!
IMHO they have being building products with built in obsolescence for a number of years now!!

Top Bottom