What's new

Logic Pro: An alternate way to control multiple plugin parameters with a single fader along a curve

mbishop

Hi everyone, I put up a video about the script I wrote for Logic that allows you to use a single fader and control multiple plugin parameters by setting a custom response curve for each parameter. I use it to control Expression and Dynamics for my orchestral instruments, but you can do much more with it than that. I like it because I only have a single automation lane to edit for my performances.

It's public and open source. Hope it's useful!

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I put up a video about the script I wrote for Logic that allows you to use a single fader and control multiple plugin parameters by setting a custom response curve for each parameter. I use it to control Expression and Dynamics for my orchestral instruments, but you can do much more with it than that. I like it because I only have a single automation lane to edit for my performances.

but wait, you can do it already with smart controls no?

I didn't know you could set things up like this! I'm trying it out. I love the UI that Logic shows for this. I'm having a hard time understanding it though. I'll read up more on Smart Controls.

The thing about doing this in Smart Controls is that you have to save all the settings you've made in a Patch for every single instrument, otherwise Logic will not remember the Smart Controls assignments. Doing it the Scripter way, you only have to save the Scripter preset once and you can reuse that preset for any track in any project. So in terms of convenience and flexibility, the Scripter method definitely wins. I do think the Smart Controls feature is fantastic, I only wish that Logic would let you save the settings per plug-in instead of per Patch (or Channel Strip).

There's a factory Scripter preset called "MIDI to Plugin Parameters" that already does this, however it only lets you set a Min and Max value so maybe yours is better

Scripter.png

Just tried out your script, I got this error message:
[JS Exception] TypeError: _controlParameters.toReversed is not a function. (In '_controlParameters.toReversed()', '_controlParameters.toReversed' is undefined) line:435

There's a factory Scripter preset called "MIDI to Plugin Parameters" that already does this, however it only lets you set a Min and Max value so maybe yours is better
I saw this about halfway through the work on my script! I liberally stole from the "Learn MIDI" input parameter in this script. They are similar, with the difference being CCRider allows you to define curves for the output.

Just tried out your script, I got this error message:
[JS Exception] TypeError: _controlParameters.toReversed is not a function. (In '_controlParameters.toReversed()', '_controlParameters.toReversed' is undefined) line:435
My best guess is that the script didn't make it all the way from the webpage to your script module whole or unmodified or perhaps there's some leftover code in the script window before the CCRider source begins. Line 435 in the script is a comment so the error seems like something else is up.

You might have better luck loading the raw source and saving it to disk. You should be able to option-click this-link and save it to your desktop. Then try the cut-and-paste trick again. Also, make sure the Scripter / Script Editor window is totally empty (select-all, then delete) before you paste this in.

I'm also on Logic v10.7.7 and I have not tested this on any other version (I don't have one!) so that may contribute.

Please let me know if that fixes or doesn't fix your problem and thank you for trying it!

Last edited:
Please let me know if that fixes or doesn't fix your problem and thank you for trying it!
Just tried it again with the new link you provided and made sure reset to the empty Default, still getting the same error message... I am using Logic 10.6.3 though, maybe that's the source of the problem?

Just tried it again with the new link you provided and made sure reset to the empty Default, still getting the same error message... I am using Logic 10.6.3 though, maybe that's the source of the problem?
This method might be a more modern method than exists in the Javascipt runtime in Logic 10.6.3.

I've replaced it as a fix. Can you try the source from this special link? https://github.com/michaeljbishop/m...-a-function/logic/scripter/CCRider/CCRider.js

I'm terribly sorry for this. Thanks for sticking with me so I can fix it!

Ok, you are all set. I bumped up the version number to 1.0.1 and the fix is now in the main link. Thanks again for your help!
This has been working really well so far! Is there an easy way to add more parameters to the script so that we can control more than 2 parameters at a time?

It’s not a as easy as pushing a button unfortunately, but it’s not too bad. You have to edit the script itself. I’d be interested in feedback around this actually if you think it’s too much trouble.

Anyway, I cover this in the video around 3:24 in where I start adding a third parameter to control EQ.

It’s not a as easy as pushing a button unfortunately, but it’s not too bad. You have to edit the script itself. I’d be interested in feedback around this actually if you think it’s too much trouble.

Anyway, I cover this in the video around 3:24 in where I start adding a third parameter to control EQ.

Cool will check it out!

Top Bottom