What's new

Logic for iPad!

What do people think of Decent Sampler? Is it a potential solution for Kontakt instruments or is it better to code from scratch? Companies like Embertone just have their instruments as regular apps.

What do people think of Decent Sampler? Is it a potential solution for Kontakt instruments or is it better to code from scratch? Companies like Embertone just have their instruments as regular apps.
I looked into it, but I'm too stingy to pay David's licensing fee for iOS Decent Samples releases. Sure, he will handle hosting and maintenance, but from a long term business perspective, that doesn't make sense for me, so I'll be developing my own iOS versions of my libraries. Start small and test the waters first though.

This thread has caused me to do a lot of thinking.

Nobody knows what this will be, but I believe that for most people on this forum, Logic on the iPad will not be a replacement for Logic on the computer, but a supplement to it. Some features won't be there, but many new and exciting features will be there.
This will be the ultimate sketching tool. those now saying they aint go for subscription will not be able to resist when the dam breaks.

The problem here is that buying 64GB iPad Air M1, two weeks ago, was maybe not a good idea, but fortunately it allows backup nowadays. Well, to get to the point: if developers start doing larger GB libraries, this will become a challenge.

Can those apps be put on a memory stick, I dont think so?

Can those apps be put on a memory stick, I dont think so?
There are products like that, but the one I tried was so slow in transferring files that I found it useless. Maybe there are better ones.
The problem here is that buying 64GB iPad Air M1, two weeks ago, was maybe not a good idea, but fortunately it allows backup nowadays. Well, to get to the point: if developers start doing larger GB libraries, this will become a challenge.
As a sketching tool, I think the iPad is just fine. The synths are great, and there are plenty of decent pianos and acoustic instruments around. You do the work, transfer the MIDI and finish in your DAW of choice with the instruments you like.

For people who want to go for VI:Control level quality in their iOS productions, I think modeling is the future--Pianoteq and SWAM are already on the iPad.

There are products like that, but the one I tried was so slow in transferring files that I found it useless. Maybe there are better ones.

As a sketching tool, I think the iPad is just fine. The synths are great, and there are plenty of decent pianos and acoustic instruments around. You do the work, transfer the MIDI and finish in your DAW of choice with the instruments you like.

For people who want to go for VI:Control level quality in their iOS productions, I think modeling is the future--Pianoteq and SWAM are already on the iPad.
Well, the sample libraries in staffpad sound pretty awesome, it’s way more than just sketching. They are of course limited in nr of round robins and such, but staffpad is everything I always wanted music technology to be.

And, Pure piano - took me a while to find a piano that doesn't look like a toy.

This is not enough. Personally I hope Orchestral Tools will show up soon - if they were smart they had prepared this a bit in advance.

This should be decent cash for any developer, since Swam already offers a string bundle for 99USD, it looks like they get my wallet, (unless Emberton or Virharmonic shows up in 10 days).

So I hear that Apple have launched Final Cut Pro for iPad - also on subscription.

I am starting to think that maybe Apple might take the desktop version to subscription when they finally release a major new version.

if they do there might be some rather unhappy people…..

So I hear that Apple have launched Final Cut Pro for iPad - also on subscription.

I am starting to think that maybe Apple might take the desktop version to subscription when they finally release a major new version.

if they do there might be some rather unhappy people…..
I don't see that happening. The Mac is already a really expensive "dongle" and it's the $5 Logic for iPad that's meant to lure people in. Even if it does happen I don't see it happening any time soon.

I think the only real time anyone should be panicking is if Final Cut Pro (Mac) goes subscription. Thankfully we're not there yet.

Will the arrival of Logic for iPad, I really wouldn't be surprised if we see a new smart keyboard case with a piano keyboard and a few regular shortcut keys.
If so I hope it‘s better than the “smart keyboard“ for iPad. It’s the kind of thing they could fix and it would be great, but also the kind of thing they would sell you for $400 before it’s finished.

I could see Apple charging £5 for access to both the iPad app and the desktop app, rather than a separate subscription for both. If someone only has the Mac or iPad subscription, Apple could say "look, for the subscription price you also have access to it on another device so why not buy that device too!"

One thing that would tempt me to try Logic on iPad would be if the Studio Strings were included as I've love to get access to some legato string sections outside of Staffpad. However I can only find mention of the basic sampler being included in iPad and this makes me wonder if the Strings package will be included at all if it needs the proper sampler to run.

Will the arrival of Logic for iPad, I really wouldn't be surprised if we see a new smart keyboard case with a piano keyboard and a few regular shortcut keys.
This is a cool idea, but...

I just spent $8 to get a cable to hook up my little IK keyboard to my iPad. It cost $10 to get a cable to hookup my 88 key NI Keyboard to my iPad. I'll probably bust out my ROLI for this, as the iPad accepts MPE. In fact you can do MPE right on the iPad because of its touch sensitivity.

If I end up using my iPad for music a lot, I'll spend the $60 and get a bluetooth connection for my 88-key so I won't have to keep unpluggin and unplugging the USB cable.

I like the idea of an Apple smart keyboard, but whatever Apple sells will probably cost a lot more than the many bluetooth mini-keyboards available today, from Arturia, Korg, Akai, etc.

In my own experience in buying small midi keyboards, they suck so badly, - now Im ok to play on iPad screen. Last one I bought was the thin carpet keyboard, which could be rolled, the idea is great, but the product wouldn't even satisfy a playful monkey. The Korg, M-audio etc 32 keys is a toy. Looking forward to play Yamaha Grand piano on ipad screen. (until Yamaha does one of those plastic rollup keyboards with high quality Japanese precision)

In my own experience in buying small midi keyboards, they suck so badly

They do tend to, but I’d rather play on a good mini (Arturia) than at least current roll up keyboards, for the velocity control. I can imagine a midi controller like this: a fully suspended keyboard, like a fully suspended dirt bike or bike, and beefy like an off road bike. With Roli aspects but very robust, and lots of expression built into the finger movements in all directions, that you could regulate the sensitivity to, etc. We need new kinds of MIDI controllers! Let us encode more expression - all that relatively fine data - while we play. It’s great you have your choice of cheap controllers, but we need more new stuff.

If I end up using my iPad for music a lot, I'll spend the $60 and get a bluetooth connection for my 88-key so I won't have to keep unpluggin and unplugging the USB cable.
I get a lot of latency w/a Bluetooth connection, but maybe it can be improved on? And it’s fine for note entry Etc

Has anyone been able to download this today? The release date is 5/23 but I don't see it in the app store.

Logic for iPad is not something I’m really interested in, even if it wasn’t subscription based.

At the same time, I can’t help but think this might expose Logic to more people (by seeing others use it in public spaces), which could help to increase Logic’s user base, and thus hopefully signal to Apple that it warrants more of their attention.

Top Bottom