What's new

Logic 10.6.3 Update!

No, in fact, they get abandoned because all faculty (working in production) is facing serious issues with Macs. We also work a lot in VR360 and the lack for software support and cpu power has made things really difficult. As mentioned, Apple has forced professionals out of their video offerings (FCPX anyone?), which has prompted people to move to the Adobe ecosystem, which generally performs better under Windows.
I have a grumble too, but "facing serious issues with Macs" seems a little OTT. Yes, FCP was a fiasco - I'm guessing some egomaniac executive is responsible for that, because big companies tend to have some of those - and frankly I have less personal interest in VR360 than I know about it, which is saying something. (Maybe I'll change my mind when there's a reason to care, but I don't want to put on a helmet to play games. Nor do I want to play them without a helmet.)

Still, every version of Logic except the last two, which require Catalina, runs beautifully on my 12-year-old upgraded 5,1 Mac Pro. My only gripe is that Apple doesn't have a credible Apple Silicon Mac yet, and I'm not putting Catalina on my machine to break everything that's 32-bit (plus you have to phaff with OpenCore Xtreme Gaming™ bullshit).

So while I'm annoyed about that, advising students to stay away from Macs... I wouldn't go quite that far.

Seems rather subjective...

I am sure this lecturer has considered a number of the angles and approaches to the best overall decision for his students.

As someone who works as an IT Manager, I know the hard decisions that need to made on choosing equipment for our Charity's staff. Sometimes the most favoured option is not the best choice all-round.

I am assuming you are a home-based composer, or sole one. So judging decisions made for a group of people with a set purpose, like education seems unwise.

I personally, also use Cubase and have Pro Tools as well. The effective tools are not always the preferred ones.
You presume incorrectly about my perspective on this situation. I have extensive professional experience in curriculum development for music production. Moving away from Apple at this time shows a severe lack of foresight. Apple is on the verge of a newly regained prominence in media production.

Yes, but I’m trying to figure out your issue. I don’t get any sort of dragging or anything wrong. So I thought you might be talking specifically about the environment window
Well whatever you want to call it. A part, object, etc. The more tracks on screen the slower it gets when you move that part around the arrange window.

Top Bottom