What's new

LASS, MSS or Berlin Strings? (They are all on Sale Now!!)

Allot of hard work! It was the dope of strings many years back! I paid like $500 then bought sordino. Then paid for upgrade to 2, then again to three. Then bought MSS and never used LASS. I sure love that new HWS2 sound. Bernard Herman in a box!
Nick resurrected Alfred Newman and Bernard! I swear Alfred was at sampling date!
I think they're still relevant though (LASS), not many libraries have legatos for tremolos, sordinos etc As for my Bernard Herrmann shots, Afflatus and LASS Leg Sordinos do the work for me!

I always wanted to buy singles.
Junkie brass?
The last two years Orchestral Tools have had something they call SINE Singles (I think that was the name they used). It's a sale they have during the summer where every 14 days or so, a new single instrument is offered up for sale at a discount.

If one can afford it, it's a lot of fun to get these instruments and try them out, not least because Orchestral Tools has such a varied product line. So the instrument offered can be so many different things which you can't predict beforehand.

But I mention this because one of the past Singles sales they offered JXL Brass 6 Horns. I almost fell off my chair with joy when I saw it :) :) :)

It is a good way for people who do not have a whole ton of money to get some good instruments they otherwise wouldn't have been able to afford. So hat's off to Orchestral Tools for doing that, even though of course they don't do it to be nice; they do it to lure people into the trap of trying out an instrument and then ending up buying the whole library because that one instrument they got on discount was so good! :) But still!

I have no quarrel. But I hate the library! It sounds crappy and brittle and has some phasing issues in todays age.
Thats what "I" think!
Too bad for you! I think its a terrible library for today outdated, and its old that's why its on sale. Thats why Audio Bro made a new string library's to replace it. So many other great sounding library's out today that make better use of CPU and fresh. Including AB MSS !.

Technology has vastly improved. Its a really old library going on 17 years old.
Its like my kids making fun of me with my old giant Motorola Cell phone from the 80's That was huge and cost me $2800 ! It was the best phone out and new at the time. It still works. But a crappy phone today.

I would not recommend it to others. I would say MSS, CSS, EW, CS, PS, AF, VSL. OT they are all newer and snd great and fit in the mix. Also others offer download service so you can try it with no financial outlay EW was the pioneer with that!. Its a product. Like Nike shoes, some love it, others hate it.

Why all the hostile argumentative emotions? Unbelievable. I can only imagine... I went to another composer's house 2 weeks back in Burbank. He had a darn server with multiple CPU's and two new Macs fully loaded. He was doing a demo for somebody. Like $200k of gear. Holy crap! I thought I was a gear junky....I joked and said do you think the average Joe could even run all this on their iMac? We both laughed. NO so its a lesson again for me.

The question on the table the fine young lad asked "us" was our experience in Hollywood as composers what we thought!.

Me being a semi retired composer and orchestrator answered him truthfully as a Full Price owner of LASS and all AB products.

Sometimes I wonder is the company's, and its employees hide under user names and then attack anyone who does not like their library.

It's a personal opinion.
If others have trouble with me hating the sound of it, then to bad LASS is like a bad FART in a small wood studio, with no AC or open windows some posters forcing new people to smell it!.

Even talking about it still smells. The LASS 17 year old fart stills seems to attack anyone who says they don't like it... Smelling up this forum with its stench.
Andrew Keresztes ! great job on all the new library's you sold me. I love them. Thank you for updating them with new awesome library. Sorry but never new people were so sensitive over old library's. I have a storage unit filled with them!

If there was a reason for the the fine young gentleman to NOT buy LASS, there you have it!
Dont let ANYONE force you to breath a 17 year old fart!
I wouldn’t take it too hard. You are an entertaining writer in part because you write hyperbolically and say things like “LASS is like a bad fart.” That will upset people who are using it and making music with it—and there are plenty who still do even if they aren’t working in Hollywood. But the statement makes for hilarious writing.

But I like your earlier description of LASS being brittle better, even if it’s not funny, because it gets at why some might still find it a useful library. There’s a musical place perhaps for such brittleness, a place where that character becomes a musical advantage. And your observation that the library is still used in pop music production points in that direction, and maybe explains something about LASS3 (why it was updated rather than being shelved when MSS arrived) even if that library is evidently not suitable for Hollywood today other than maybe very limited domains like controlled glisses.

I wouldn’t take it too hard. You are an entertaining writer in part because you write hyperbolically and say things like “LASS is like a bad fart.” That will upset people who are using it and making music with it—and there are plenty who still do even if they aren’t working in Hollywood. But the statement makes for hilarious writing.

But I like your earlier description of LASS being brittle better, even if it’s not funny, because it gets at why some might still find it a useful library. There’s a musical place perhaps for such brittleness, a place where that character becomes a musical advantage. And your observation that the library is still used in pop music production points in that direction, and maybe explains something about LASS3 (why it was updated rather than being shelved when MSS arrived) even if that library is evidently not suitable for Hollywood today other than maybe very limited domains like controlled glisses.
Thank you. It works great for cartoon string runs, glisses and cats sliding down a chalk board with nails out.

My favorite violin player we booked for cartoons is Sid Page! OMG most amazing player in town. Could make you cringe. I think he played on over 137 episodes on our disney animation line up. Really fun guy!

I would write on my score “cat sliding down chalk board with nails out”
It would bother all the players.

Brian (the drums guy) and sid had it so tight they were connected. So i would write gliss with a long line down to qtr not with “Boom” and Brian would hit the kick with a choke cymbal. There timing was perfection!
Then again i spent hrs on my tempo click tracks to line hits up on quarter notes.

The fart thing was just me being me.
The poor lad wanted to know what we we working successful film composers thought.

I gave my honest opinion, and its like goofy when he hit a hornets nest. They all buzzed around me trying to sting. Sad thing is they were so busy defending a 17 year old library, they forgot to help the poor lad that just wanted advice from film/tv composers library's. I am that! Its sad and comical at same time. See i paid $1127 for lass when it came out, then $299 and then $99 for “upgrades” thats allot of bread to lay out. I was fully embedded in industry at time Colin was just getting a gig and it was a win win.

I dont think most even have scored, orchestrated, on a tv show or film.

Let alone be a standing member of musicians union, and AFTRA, SAG which you are req to join to work for a major. Unless its a scab gig.

I truly love music, composing, orchestrating and now helping others achieve success. I whipped out demos and posted demonstration Cinematic CSB and CSS. In 2 hrs. 1.5 hrs timing k-switch's to go thru all the articulation’s for the lad.

That was hard let alone composing a piece thats not boring with every technique a brass player, string player could do. I had a blast doing it. Plus i gota laugh out of it. AND not one single effect, reverb, EQ.

See i got a inclination that the the lad wanted to get a hands on experience and listen to what they actually sounded like.

He obviously was not a Warren Buffet with extra money, otherwise he would not be looking for a $99 “three on three grand slam breakfast special at Ray’s diner on pico

I related to that. Got his vibe and helped him out. I have worked with the best, for the best, against the best in Hollywood. I have never taken issue with but one person. But these hornets buzzing around stinging people on these forums is funny.

I have learned one thing. They are not employed in hollywood! Because they would not be stinging people.
You sting people in hollywood, you will not last a day! You will be on hobo alley with a stick with a hanker chef with a sandwich in it bumming a smoke from a homeless!

See us old folks just might be voting members of the academy, SCL, and arts that decide who gets academy awards and oscars in music.

I enjoy every minute of it. “You poke da bear, you’s gunna get bit real bad”

Just so happy i could assist. One day when these hornets grow up, they will realize we are all on the same team. And need each other to survive in Hollywood. I am always looming for talent to hire.

Thank you. It works great for cartoon string runs, glisses and cats sliding down a chalk board with nails out.

My favorite violin player we booked for cartoons is Sid Page! OMG most amazing player in town. Could make you cringe. I think he played on over 137 episodes on our disney animation line up. Really fun guy!

I would write on my score “cat sliding down chalk board with nails out”
It would bother all the players.

Brian (the drums guy) and sid had it so tight they were connected. So i would write gliss with a long line down to qtr not with “Boom” and Brian would hit the kick with a choke cymbal. There timing was perfection!
Then again i spent hrs on my tempo click tracks to line hits up on quarter notes.

The fart thing was just me being me.
The poor lad wanted to know what we we working successful film composers thought.

I gave my honest opinion, and its like goofy when he hit a hornets nest. They all buzzed around me trying to sting. Sad thing is they were so busy defending a 17 year old library, they forgot to help the poor lad that just wanted advice from film/tv composers library's. I am that! Its sad and comical at same time. See i paid $1127 for lass when it came out, then $299 and then $99 for “upgrades” thats allot of bread to lay out. I was fully embedded in industry at time Colin was just getting a gig and it was a win win.

I dont think most even have scored, orchestrated, on a tv show or film.

Let alone be a standing member of musicians union, and AFTRA, SAG which you are req to join to work for a major. Unless its a scab gig.

I truly love music, composing, orchestrating and now helping others achieve success. I whipped out demos and posted demonstration Cinematic CSB and CSS. In 2 hrs. 1.5 hrs timing k-switch's to go thru all the articulation’s for the lad.

That was hard let alone composing a piece thats not boring with every technique a brass player, string player could do. I had a blast doing it. Plus i gota laugh out of it. AND not one single effect, reverb, EQ.

See i got a inclination that the the lad wanted to get a hands on experience and listen to what they actually sounded like.

He obviously was not a Warren Buffet with extra money, otherwise he would not be looking for a $99 “three on three grand slam breakfast special at Ray’s diner on pico

I related to that. Got his vibe and helped him out. I have worked with the best, for the best, against the best in Hollywood. I have never taken issue with but one person. But these hornets buzzing around stinging people on these forums is funny.

I have learned one thing. They are not employed in hollywood! Because they would not be stinging people.
You sting people in hollywood, you will not last a day! You will be on hobo alley with a stick with a hanker chef with a sandwich in it bumming a smoke from a homeless!

See us old folks just might be voting members of the academy, SCL, and arts that decide who gets academy awards and oscars in music.

I enjoy every minute of it. “You poke da bear, you’s gunna get bit real bad”

Just so happy i could assist. One day when these hornets grow up, they will realize we are all on the same team. And need each other to survive in Hollywood. I am always looming for talent to hire.
It is certainly great hearing about your experiences and you write so colorfully. It’s really quite delightful. Keep it coming.

MSS is my main string library, I very much enjoy being able to write divisi strings all within that section’s patch. I would recommend assigning the divisi on/off button to something though because legato lines can be a little finicky.

My only real gripe is that the expanded legato library has to be run as its own thing

My only real gripe is that the expanded legato library has to be run as its own thing
Yess to this. Noted also in Eternity Expansion, you need to open several players in order to function properly for only one special Mic possition that comes exclusively in the Expansion. They need to expand the Mixer Tab to join all the available mics options in one single player for sure! Imagine have severals players for choral writings per voice or register, and do the same multiplied for this unique mic!

Is good to have the option but needs an update rework

Yess to this. Noted also in Eternity Expansion, you need to open several players in order to function properly for only one special Mic possition that comes exclusively in the Expansion. They need to expand the Mixer Tab to join all the available mics options in one single player for sure! Imagine have severals players for choral writings per voice or register, and do the same multiplied for this unique mic!

Is good to have the option but needs an update rework
I was just going to buy it! I had complete in cart. But the silver, plus another gave me zero discount. I have this silly thing of library's over $399. Above that its Full library time on vienna site money wise which guarantee's low CPU in Ensemble Pro and stream live over ethernet to my second mac pro running vienna server. Its the only tech i truly enjoy hassle free. That and I have to say, being BLOWN AWAY! By Synthesizer Z i bought thanks to the fine gentleman's post on the forum! I purchased last night. And bought singers, Solarius, and Hayden. I stayed up with zero sleep and composed a simple song and just sat there with my jaw open! I did it away from piano! On my laptop using handoff. While eating a strawberry fruit salad in kitchen. WOW! It sounds so real i cant believe the tech in your generation.

I got a tear in my I being overwhelmed and joyed. A tool i can use now to realize all my songs i composed tor years for other composers and myself that need singers. Its a miracle this AI stuff.
When used for art and good. Its like having Whitney sing your toons. And you can change vibrato, breaths, siblings, lip noises, scoop, pitch, humanize more to match your vocal you envisioned. Hayden sounds like a tenor in take Six. Solarius sounds like Linda Ronstadt mixed with Adele.

You better purchase the “Pro Version” of Synthesizer V before it goes mainstream and priced around $2300-$4800! Its worth way more.
Just buy bundle with one voice for $179. Its a steal! Just be patient with learning curve. Its difficult first hr. Then its a breeze.

I just bought Synthesizer V, so thats my $300 a month budget i get for this month. So next month i will buy Berlin brass. I bought Industry brass last month. Good but not great. I have allot or OT in Kontakt, but way earlier versions. I would love to buy berlin sweet for kontakt ? Or Sine? Not sure whats better. I already have allot of OT for sine, but its like 5 instances of kontackt, two or Sine, Vienna ensemble 6 instances of it.
Thats my template. Then add Omnisphere, and Trillian for base. Its like VST city on desktop.

It’s mostly at 70% off these days with occasional
buy HOOPUS get another library or plugin free. In fact since the beginning of the year I think it’s been offered at 70% off plus something else more than just 70% off and I’m not sure it’s been offered at less than 70% off at all during that period.
Are you sure the 70% off didn’t end around 1/8 and return last month in April with no additional freebie? Are you sure it wasn’t $398 in the meantime?

I’m really sorry that being aggressive on the Internet isn’t working out for you in this situation. You’ll get ‘em next time Champ!

if it makes any difference, I’m wrong sometimes too.

Are you sure the 70% off didn’t end around 1/8 and return last month in April with no additional freebie? Are you sure it wasn’t $398 in the meantime?

I’m really sorry that being aggressive on the Internet isn’t working out for you in this situation. You’ll get ‘em next time Champ!

if it makes any difference, I’m wrong sometimes too.
Was this really necessary? Seems to me the thread had moved on.

Yes it was. I don’t like Internet bullies. However, hopefully it’s over now and we all can move on
WTF, dude? You're the one who comes crashing into the thread with the announcement that shockingly "HOOPUS is on sale I tell you HOOPUS is on sale," with no qualification whatsoever that more or less the same deal had been offered according to your own reckoning just 4 months ago. Yes, I was wrong about the 70% off being normal—it's normal pricing is 60% off. But it is ordinarily on very deep discount, which your announcement didn't bother to mention. And I can't quite get why being called on that seems to upset you so, and how it constitutes bullying. I mean, if you look at the context of the thread, you'll see that your comment was the first mention of HOOPUS, and you brought up the sale right after the thread was talking about how folks shouldn't worry over much about this particular Audiobro sale because these are more or less normal pricing and would come around again. Just as this sale of HOOPUS is more or less normal pricing and something on par with it will come around again, most likely in a few months. And at least the various Audiobro deals with Silver had the advantage of being somewhat novel, better sales than we have ordinarily seen.

As for HOOPUS I care not one way or another about it. It's a good library and a great price, whether you are talking 60% or 70% off, with or without a free library. But at this point 70% off is not an unusual offer and even the offer of a free library is no longer especially unusual. Given that this is at least the second time it's been offered in a four month span it will likely also come back again, likely before the end of summer.

Dang, shit got weird...

Ok, back (sorta) on topic with MSS...

I posted an example on another thread ("Chinese Noodle") concerning MSS and its "porta-bility" so to speak.
Here's another example of pushing the portamento legato to the extreme, was going for a pentatonic lick ala Tony Banks' synth break in "Follow You Follow Me":
(edit: Reaper xcomp to bump the smoothnes, bxEQ to bump the mids/bass, and bxRooms on "Medium Chamber" w/wet @ 75%)
View attachment MSS Porto Legato Test Again2.mp3

Here's the setting for V1A, divisi, V2A divisi, and VaA divisi:
MSS V12AVa1A.png

The thing is the VcB divisi setting are almost the opposite:
mss cello gliss.png
The "porta-bility" of the Cellos were not very pronounced using the VcA divisi, and I tried a million settings for them. VcB seemed to work better, but as you can see, the Leg offset and port offset are turned a lot farther down to get the "slurrieness" the high strings have.

Maybe it's how the high strings vs. the low strings were recorded? Maybe it's the nature of the low-strings beast? Who knows. Either way, it's been a real hoot tweaking MSS, and regardless what Goofytroop says, I think I'd really like "glisses and cats sliding down a chalk board with nails out" that LASS 3 has to offer if it can get this extreme in the portamento department! :laugh:

(might have to put this in one of the different threads on gliss strings)

Yeah I just installed MSS and I was thinking to myself after playing around with it that they could have gotten away with naming them SSS instead because I was getting a Shanghai type of vibe from them. It was not something I detected in the walkthroughs though. I consider it an unexpected bonus

Dang, shit got weird...

Ok, back (sorta) on topic with MSS...

I posted an example on another thread ("Chinese Noodle") concerning MSS and its "porta-bility" so to speak.
Here's another example of pushing the portamento legato to the extreme, was going for a pentatonic lick ala Tony Banks' synth break in "Follow You Follow Me":
(edit: Reaper xcomp to bump the smoothnes, bxEQ to bump the mids/bass, and bxRooms on "Medium Chamber" w/wet @ 75%)
View attachment MSS Porto Legato Test Again2.mp3

Here's the setting for V1A, divisi, V2A divisi, and VaA divisi:
MSS V12AVa1A.png

The thing is the VcB divisi setting are almost the opposite:
mss cello gliss.png
The "porta-bility" of the Cellos were not very pronounced using the VcA divisi, and I tried a million settings for them. VcB seemed to work better, but as you can see, the Leg offset and port offset are turned a lot farther down to get the "slurrieness" the high strings have.

Maybe it's how the high strings vs. the low strings were recorded? Maybe it's the nature of the low-strings beast? Who knows. Either way, it's been a real hoot tweaking MSS, and regardless what Goofytroop says, I think I'd really like "glisses and cats sliding down a chalk board with nails out" that LASS 3 has to offer if it can get this extreme in the portamento department! :laugh:

(might have to put this in one of the different threads on gliss strings)
Thats Dope! never new you could do that! How cool More reason to love the library.

Top Bottom