What's new

Labs+ Beta Period

Hi Onemandown!

We’re emailing people to give access slowly from the waitlist, scaling up carefully and monitoring to ensure there aren’t any problems - so we can fix anything that arises quickly.

There’s some super exciting stuff coming down the pipeline.. lots of new content and some of the best of Spitfire.

In the meantime, for those who are only interested in perpetual license libraries - the next 12 months we’ve got some really creative and exciting stuff coming. I predict that what we’re dropping in a few weeks will be a big surprise! 😳

P
Thanks for clearing this up Paul! Can't wait to see the new content.

I just tried opening a LABS only project I made for Make Music Day in 2019, and it sounded the same, but I will double check with the team after the bank holiday weekend if any parameters would not return exactly the same for some reason. One thing is we've been through and beta tested all the free packs twice and found a few bugs that are fixed including a couple of sounds that came out way too hot - so that would change!

Thanks for the info @Paul Thomson 👍🏼

I might hold off for a little while, just in case.

Looking forward to trying out the next Labs instruments.

Hi Syd - yes the new plugin replaces the old one - hopefully this should be seen as a big step forward for all LABS users as the new plugin resolves all the issues people may have had before connected to moving content, drives, etc. It's a self contained system. We'll also be developing the platform itself in the coming months as well as adding content.

I just tried opening a LABS only project I made for Make Music Day in 2019, and it sounded the same, but I will double check with the team after the bank holiday weekend if any parameters would not return exactly the same for some reason. One thing is we've been through and beta tested all the free packs twice and found a few bugs that are fixed including a couple of sounds that came out way too hot - so that would change!

Davidson - There's no price reductions in that way no. But I think you'll see once more info is out there that there's a lot of added value beyond just the starting packs.
Will the people with the old Labs get a player update or do they have to subscribe bug-less player?

Mr Thompson has your company ever considered rent to own option to your catalog? Pay subscription for access to everything and once a year get a voucher to own a library of choice? Something like that?

It’s a nice idea but the full catalog is nearly 10TB of sounds. Just the download cost alone is quite significant!
Thank you for responding! I would say that... In such a rent to own scenario I would gladly pay the download cost of whatever library I was going to use as long as the price was reasonable. I wouldn't be redownloading each library daily you see.

I would say that... In such a rent to own scenario I would gladly pay the download cost of whatever library I was going to use as long as the price was reasonable. I wouldn't be redownloading each library daily you see.
I believe prices for servers like Amazon S3 cost multiple cents per GB bandwidth plus extra costs if the data needs to be transferred to servers near the customer to increase download speed plus taxes.

So, for a single Terabyte of data this could be about $50-$150. For 10 TB this would be ten times as much, $500-$1500.

I believe prices for servers like Amazon S3 cost multiple cents per GB bandwidth plus extra costs if the data needs to be transferred to servers near the customer to increase download speed plus taxes.

So, for a single Terabyte of data this could be about $50-$150. For 10 TB this would be ten times as much, $500-$1500.
So dl the entire catalog for the price of 1-3 string libraries. Regardless you would only dl what you want to use. And I doubt most people would want to dl everything.

Hi Onemandown!

We’re emailing people to give access slowly from the waitlist, scaling up carefully and monitoring to ensure there aren’t any problems - so we can fix anything that arises quickly.

There’s some super exciting stuff coming down the pipeline.. lots of new content and some of the best of Spitfire.

In the meantime, for those who are only interested in perpetual license libraries - the next 12 months we’ve got some really creative and exciting stuff coming. I predict that what we’re dropping in a few weeks will be a big surprise! 😳

P
Count me among the very excited.

I predict that what we’re dropping in a few weeks will be a big surprise! 😳
In which case can I request a return to a two month hype window with multiple teasers rather than this new fangled announce-and-release same day nonsense? 😉
No matter how many times people make this ridiculous jump in their minds, it is patently false.

If you spend 400 purchasing things at full price, you'll own those licenses.

After 5 years paying 80 a month for this borderline useless subscription you'll own absolutely nothing.

It's utterly mind-boggling how even with housing crisis and rampant inflation humans still still fail to understand the value of money.

Edit: I remember our rage against no-resale policies like it was yesterday. The irony is tangible.
I think the folk here understand the value of money just fine. The sub isn’t my particular cup of tea either but everyone is welcome to work out the value proposition for themselves, no?

I'm pretty sure it's approximately $1 per TB.

In which case can I request a return to a two month hype window with multiple teasers rather than this new fangled announce-and-release same day nonsense? 😉

I think the folk here understand the value of money just fine. The sub isn’t my particular cup of tea either but everyone is welcome to work out the value proposition for themselves, no?
They can work it out, and they will often fail. Subscriptions are a fantastic way to mess with one's perception of value. As far as deceptive tactics go, it's right up there beside lottery mechanics in the marketing handbook.

Hi Syd - yes the new plugin replaces the old one - hopefully this should be seen as a big step forward for all LABS users as the new plugin resolves all the issues people may have had before connected to moving content, drives, etc. It's a self contained system. We'll also be developing the platform itself in the coming months as well as adding content.

Davidson - There's no price reductions in that way no. But I think you'll see once more info is out there that there's a lot of added value beyond just the starting packs.
Will pitch bend be enabled in the new plugin across all instruments? And any chance pitch bend will one day be enabled in other Spitfire instruments, such as ARO, EWC, BBC, etc?

They can work it out, and they will often fail. Subscriptions are a fantastic way to mess with one's perception of value. As far as deceptive tactics go, it's right up there beside lottery mechanics in the marketing handbook.
Well, yes and no.

For example, I find something like Adobe Create Cloud particularly odious. I’ll happily pick up my pitchfork against that one.

Things is, I think most composers understand that a perpetual license is the best option for a library they intend to put some serious time and mileage into. Agree with you there.

If this is - as it sounds - some sort of “Spitfire Snacks” (™) which doesn’t require a time investment to learn and isn’t the foundation of my toolkit..I can get onboard. An immediate tool to solve a current problem or the fundamentals of a “full” SFA library without the large expense. Something I’ll use once or twice.

I’ve used Originals/LABS for projects/brands that most folk would recognise so I’m firmly in the camp that they’re useful tools.

Last edited:
Top Bottom